Hey Bigtime - Map editor, user-friendly?

Since the gold demo doesn't have the map editor option, can Bigtime

possible elaborate on the interface for making new maps? How hard

is it? Are the controls as simple as when playing the demo? Any info

would be great - by the way, awesome results here, guys, I haven't

participated in the forum much as of late but I was there months ago...

buddy

Making maps, scenarios and operations with the editor in CM is VERY easy. I've designed scenarios for many wargames out there, and CM's editor beats them hands down.

It works like this - a few snippets:

you enter the editor and see a small tactical map in 2D with each individual terrain tile displayed. You can select terrain tiles from a menu on your left, e.g. woods, houses, brush, water, and place them anywhere you want.

This is the "terrain mode". Switching to "elevetion mode", you can assign a height level to each tile. Height levels are available from 0 to 19. Depending on your preferences, each height level can be 2.5m or 5m height difference.

You can, at anytime, enter the 3D preview and watch your map how it will look in the game.

You can also have a random map generated by the computer, depending on a few settings you chose: no woods, heavy woods, small hills, high hills etc.

In the unit menu, you buy units for both sides, and place them into desired locations in the 3D preview.

You can assign setup zones to both sides in the "setup mode".

And so on...

Generating a quick battle will take you only a few minutes. Recreating historical battles can take longer, but this will depend on how accurate you want to make it and how much research you put into it. If you just want to have fun, simply fire up the random battle generator, toggle a few switches, and within a minute or so you're fighting smile.gif

Can I build trenches and create sand bagged positions? Can I defelade a machine gun nest so it can fire across an approach but not be visible from the front?

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

Ah rats, I was hoping for a user-UNfriendly map editor. One which crashes often, has all options broken into semi-random menu groupings, and must be completely quit (maybe even requiring a PC reboot) before any scenario can be played.

Oh well, guess I'll just go back to slamming my fingers in the door of the storage cupboard attached to my computer desk. (I HATE it when that happens!)

DjB

Doug, I'm with you, where's the sense of accomplishment in creating a scenario that just anyone can create. No esoteric keystrokes, no bugs that you have to get around by sacrificing a chicken (man I went through a LOT of chickens in Age of Rifles) and the random generator sounds like it takes ALL the fun out of it. Way to go BTS, ruin it for me.

Joe

------------------

"Son," says I to him, "you're a Dragon. And a Dragon ACTS like a Dragon or he doesn't act at all."

Smrgol, Dragon

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Beman:

Ash, if they were sheep I'd say give 'em to the Kiwis on the forum.

DjB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mate you've got it all wrong. Kiwis are the Pimps in the world-wide trade of fuzzy sex toys. Not the Users.