Reckless driving! Please review this PBEM file.

I am in disbelief over what I have just seen, and I must share it.

I am playing the Axis side in a PBEM game. My opponent laid some smoke last turn, so I deduced that he was going to try something. I tried to take advantage of his smoke by commanding one of my STuG's to add to the smoke my opponent had laid, and then set itself up to greet whatever tried to come through the smoke.

I told a second, nearby STuG to team up with the first one and move into a position beside it.

I almost can't believe what *actually* happened.

Next turn, I'm certainly going to lose one of my STuG's, which is currently presenting a disgusting side-armour shot to a Sherman just 15 meters away. I will probably also lose another STuG to the same Sherman from a rear-armour shot during the same turn.

I am baffled at the behaviour of my smoke-laying STuG through this whole episode. If I didn't witness the Sherman ramming into it, and pushing it aside - while it continued it's smoke orders - I wouldn't have believed it.

Please download the following PBEM file, which contains the movie of this madness. The password is 885720. (No, I'm not worried about my opponent using it to cheat ...) The activities take place around the church.

http://homepage.mac.com/tdailey/885720.zip

------------------

--

Toad

Mac user

Ontario, Canada

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 06-07-2000).]

I can't wait to see the result

I hope you will post the next turn

I think your infantry in the building have a GREAT chance to take out the Sherm with a Faust, (juicy flank shot at 13 m) good luck

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Screamin Demon:

thats some weird **** motherf*cker<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! That's some weird ****!

I played a game of CE last night when I took all three StuGs and all the German infantry except one platoon of the Volks conscripts to the extreme left flank. It was a total slaughter. Killed a boatload of American infantry in their own woods. My veteran SMG squads got lots of kills. StuGs took out all 4 Shermans, panzerschreck got the first one with a great shot.

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

That is truly bizarre. Infantry has it nailed though. With luck they'll flame it before it starts brewing you up.

I think what you've done here raises the whole AAR concept to a new level. I hope we can expect to see more live replays.

------------------

When I die I want to go peacefully, like my grandfather, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Toad:

I am in disbelief over what I have just seen, and I must share it.

I almost can't believe what *actually* happened.

I am baffled at the behaviour of my smoke-laying STuG through this whole episode. If I didn't witness the Sherman ramming into it, and pushing it aside - while it continued it's smoke orders - I wouldn't have believed it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty neat. I think a combination of heavy smoke immediately in front of the Stug, coupled with it being buttoned up and arty and suppressive fires falling all around led to that ugly knife fight close encounter.

The last shot of smoke was proabaly right after the TC said, "Huh? What was that bump? Driver, you hit something?"

I'd hate to be in that Stug Zug's shoes right about now.

I must commend your opponent on a pretty ballsy move as well. Looks like you two have a good fight going.

Stodge: it's the church in CE. The guy has all 3 StuGs right behind it. The Amis have sent one Sherman forward (3 covering from well back) and it is on the immediate opposite side of the church.

Looking straight down from German POV, the rightmost StuG is firing smoke immediately in front of itself to the right of the church (there is a huge smoke cloud there). The Sherm inches around that corner, creeps through the smoke and bumps right into the StuG doing the firing (it gets another smoke round off as the bump occurs) and actually shoves it sideways.

The center StuG (all 3 are pretty much touching) is going to help his smoking buddy and was moving up on the right when he sees his pal levitating sideways and a 75mm retirement notice (muzzle of the Sherm) 15m away.

HOWEVER: the church has not one but two German squads with 'fausts at point blank range on the flank of the very offensive Sherm.

Given some leeway for the fact that the graphics are a reflection of the actual game calculations, this strikes me as pretty cool. The turn ends just as all the fingers are tightening on the triggers. I'll bet one dead StuG and one dead Sherm (from the 'fausts) and this is why God makes turrets.

Well, Pretty good odds that the targeted stg is dead meat. Only chance is if it can get a shot off 1st, or the unpanicked squad in the church takes it out first. But I don't see much hope for that Sherman. I'll wager it's going down 1 Stug for 1 Sherman

I'm not sure

the sherm could miss, its buttoned and busy bumping into other tanks

it will shoot the Stug's heavy front aspect

the Stug might survive if the infantry gets the faust shot off quickly into the flank of the sherm it could be over

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mikeydz:

Well, Pretty good odds that the targeted stg is dead meat. Only chance is if it can get a shot off 1st, or the unpanicked squad in the church takes it out first. But I don't see much hope for that Sherman. I'll wager it's going down 1 Stug for 1 Sherman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The StuG at the end of the muzzle gotta die unless the 'faust gets the Shermie first.

15m (45+ feet for OBMax) is a no-brainer unless you got a shaped-charge blast cone where said brain used to be. That looked like a definite flanker on the StuG to me.

Does this open the door to CM (shudder) gambling?

It does, indeed. $20 USD on the Sherm v. StuG, but $10 safety he doesn't see the next turn...

What an awesome movie...

I am eager to learn the fate of the armor in this pile up. Who survives?

Perhaps members of the Combat Mission community should start saving memorable movies like this for inclusion on someone's website. Best of Combat Mission: The Movies.

-Lurker

Guest Scott Clinton

Hmmmm...

A very interesting turn. Lots of action at close quarters...but not too out of line really.

If you notice you will see your smoke laying Stug drop his order to fire smoke at the area target you defined right after he is rammed...I THINK it then tries to screen itself with smoke...and perhaps flee? You may see it has plotted a move away when you get the file back. Otherwise, it may STILL not have spotted the Sherman. Can't see too well behind and to the side when buttoned ya know...

But keep in mind that you had ALL your Stugs buttoned up, so nobody saw that Sherman coming, esp. the one Stug that was fireing smoke off to the side. I wouldn't think he would be able to see the charging Sherman until he was rammed.

Non-turreted AFVs are MUCH more effective when they don't have to engage in a running fight...you are in deep sh*t when you are in a running fight at point blank range with a fast turreted Sherman.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Hey,

at 28-29 secs into the turn, there is something that seems to come out from the stug that is doing the smoking laying.

It's a grey ball that flies into the air and into the church. What is that???

it pops out right after the stug shoots a round of smoke at 28-29 seconds into the turn.

Wild movie. smile.gif Can't wait to see what happens next. smile.gif

I think the faust might just smoke the sherman before he can

pull the trigger. It's gonna be close. If the faust misses (in which

case I would have the faust gunner shot smile.gif) or doesn't get his shot off in time,

the stug's only real chance is that he can rotate some more and maybe

the shot will strike at a severe angle on his frontal armor and ricochet.

But the chances of that are slim. smile.gif

hehe.... your stugs are in trouble now...

I dont think the Rifles will get the panzerfaust out correctly, and the shrek team is pinned on the other side of the building...

my guess is...

2-3 dead stugs (one brewed) and the shermie survives next turn ... biggrin.gif

------------------

TargetDrone

who has a heart for smilies

and will defend their rights ....

even if the cost is bloody....

Here it is - the results!

Thank you to all who have given so much interest to this movie. My appologies to those who are about to lose money on their bets ... smile.gif

I remain in disbelief over what I have just witnessed. I won't give away too much of the events in the movie, but I will say that I'm considering saying "Good Game!" to my opponent, and asking for a re-match. I think this is the decisive moment in my opponent's favour.

Can any one answer the questions below?

Did the infantry ever get their 'faust shot? I can't tell.

Why oh why or why didn't the last STuG to die pull his trigger? Would a shot that close have damged the gun that fired it?

I'm surprised that all that bumping and grinding didn't damage one of the tanks. Surely being slid sideways like that would damage the tracks or suspension. Any comments?

A plea to the free countries of the globe. Train Your Troops! The green infantry in the church show a sorry example of why good men with average guns are worth more than newbies with million-dollar bullets.

http://homepage.mac.com/tdailey/885720_part2.zip

(232 K)

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada