Crew Survival-- too many??

Been reading alot of books lately, and I keep getting the impression that CM crews are too numerous?

Meaning-- do too many crew members survive their vehicles being knocked out? I do not think I have ever seen a crew totally eliminated from a vehicle hit...

Just Thinking

Stoner

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Stone:

I do not think I have ever seen a crew totally eliminated from a vehicle hit...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think catastrophic explosions often do the trick. Seen it a few times.

------------------

Andreas

I've had a Sherman catastrophically explode, then disgorge 5 unwounded crew members. It also seems to me that crew survivability is too high, almost never are more than 1 or 2 lost, even when it's a Sherman nailed by a KT at a couple hundred meters.

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TankDawg:

HI,

Yes, too many crews in CM. I play many WW2 tactical board games and crew survival is very rare.

Should be a simple fix for 1.04.

smile.gif

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm...

Jeff, I'm not qualified to say whether or not the numbers of tank crew members running around sans tank is too high, but it does sound rather strange to base "reality" on the research of other game designers. I've found many of the wargames that I've played to be based on some rather flawed ideas. Steel Panthers, even though I enjoyed it, is one of these. After a few games of Steel Panthers, I realized that German Armor was the king of the battlefield. Nothing could stand against it. Not only that, but they must have won the war... Imagine my frustration when I try Combat Mission and discover that my invincible armor is all too vulnerable to enemy fire.

Hopefully someone who has done the necessary research will chime in with some better data on crew survival.

-Lurker

I for one can say that I have lost entire crews with their Shermans, and the entire squad that was embarked at the time.

Goes to show that you should dismount in a known safe area.

------------------

The more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war.

In my current PBEM I've had all four of my Shermans knocked out (am I a good player or what?). Only two out of the four tanks had some crewmen live. The two other crews never even got to the hatches. None were catastrophic explosions.

On the other hand, in another game I lost two trucks to incoming fire and in both cases the squads emerged unscathed - not even alerted or shaken.

GAFF

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gaffertape:

On the other hand, in another game I lost two trucks to incoming fire and in both cases the squads emerged unscathed - not even alerted or shaken.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a guess, but that could be b/c trucks are so easily damaged that there does not need to be a big threat in the vicinity.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Stone:

Been reading alot of books lately, and I keep getting the impression that CM crews are too numerous?

Meaning-- do too many crew members survive their vehicles being knocked out? I do not think I have ever seen a crew totally eliminated from a vehicle hit...

Just Thinking

Stoner <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just finished "Strike Swiftly" a history of the 70th Tank Battalion. According to this book, it was not at all unusual for most of the crew members to survive a knocked out tank. Most casualties seemed to be inflicted by small-arms fire as the crew bailed out of the vehicle.

The mention of crew survival made me think of ASL. I'm fairly certain that in many other games crew survival is actually modeling the ability to spit out an inherent crew with even a modest amount of fight left in them. If only 1 or 2 crew members survive, the entire "unit" is written off. Makes for less dirt. It seems to me that CM models the ineffective nature of a lightly armed crew through the use of "!", thus making the crews very brittle to any future contact.

But...but...!

Crews are essential for the counteroffensive and for clearing the woods and villages from those pesky anti-tank teams.!!!

And dont forget, they give the Tiger crews something to do during lulls in the fighting.

EVEN before "Wet stowage" versions of the Sherman became available on average only 1.3 British crew were lost ( and that includes both dead and severely wounded) per tank destroyed.

Basically, in CM terms, about 75% of each crew SHOULD survive their tank being hit. If the explosion is catastrophic then the odds of them all dying ar higher obviously but basically people are expecting too many crew casualties due to other games/incorrect understandings of history.

Most of the the time most of the crews got out of most of the tanks.

That's the rule of thumb you should remember.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kurtz:

And dont forget, they give the Tiger crews something to do during lulls in the fighting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Their most useful purpose is to serve as decoys to distract enemy Tigers while their own tanks sneak up on them. "Oh Yoo-hoo, Mr Tiger?.. Bet you can't catch me! Ha, you poor excuse for a German, you couldn't hit the side of a barn, I bet. Ten to one you can't catch me while I run through that open space tongue.gif"...

biggrin.gif

Henri

[This message has been edited by Henri (edited 07-18-2000).]

I guess my original idea is somewhat skewed or inaccurate.

In CM, you "see" the crews and take notice of them as an active units. In the real world, maybe crews did survive alot; and I am just used to other games that disregard them as ineffective.

Like so much in CM, results vary widely-- which ties to the manual's opening page quote.

Guess I need to play more tank heavy scenario to get the full effect. biggrin.gif

Henri's right on the money. I think when purchasing units we should be able to buy the crews without their vehicles. Much, much cheaper and just as effective against Mr.King Tiger if employed properly. wink.gif

------------------

Smoker out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found this in the New Vanguard series no.33 on page 39.

The poor armor protection of the M5A1 resulted in a higher rate of crew casualties than in medium tanks, with a medium tank crew having about a one-in-five chance of becoming a casualty when their tank was knocked out, compared to a one-in-three chance in light tanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HoosierTreadHead:

I just finished "Strike Swiftly" a history of the 70th Tank Battalion.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a bad book, considering the author was a cook in the 70th!

How come there are no cooks and other REMFs running around CM armed with potato peelers and skillets?

----------Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

happened once and only once to me.. my Mark IV was kicking ass shooting everything in sight and then it got nailed from the side by a Sherman... so Im expecting the crew to bail out of the flaming BBQ mobile but none came.. brought a tear to my eye cuz they had a kill list over 10 lines long... *sigh*

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Airborne:

Not a bad book, considering the author was a cook in the 70th!

How come there are no cooks and other REMFs running around CM armed with potato peelers and skillets?

----------Chris

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are in the game; you must need to upgrade your video card.... tongue.gif

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Do they baste great, or just less killing?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLMAO, you sick, sick puppy.

Have any PBEM slots open? I've had two games go on vacation. If you're up for it, we can discuss parameters by e-mail.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 07-28-2000).]

Ah Ethan, you've been talking to Andreas and figure you've found another easy victory smile.gif Actually you could have been talking to just about any of my opponents. Shoot me an email will you? I'm at the office and can't email out and I will for sure forget about it by the time I get home.

Joe