BTS must take all the Blame

I know that I will eventually get the game, but here is Wednesday and no CM. I am now cancelling my vacation I had scheduled for tomorrow, ready to cancel it for Friday too. What angers me is folks who had their credit card charged a day later than mine have already received their copy Monday and Tuesday in the local area, and I'm now struck with the prospect of my copy is tangled up in the USPS limbo somewhere, and I have no way of finding out.

But some of my anger goes directly to BTS. No, its not BTS's fault that things may go strangely with USPS, but it is their fault for forcing me only one delivery option. I've had bad experiences with USPS in the past and found it unpleasant to be forced to do it again. As an internet purchase only game, we the customers have already had one option taken away, running down to a local retail store and getting immediate satisfaction. I applaud the BTS internet only purchase and their direction, they have a gem of a program that may lead to great success. But BTS needs to step up and provide more options for delivery for their products. I would have gladly paid $20+ for a guarenteed and trackable delivery option.

BTS, I love what you have done and CM is huge! You are now and will probably remain my #1 wargaming heroes. But I'm angry because my anticipation was very high and I find myself infuriated because I can't track the status of my CM delivery. That is BTS's fault, not USPS. PLEASE provide more delivery options in the future!!!

------------------

Garry Kump

killmore,

My priorities are where I wish to place them. Do not attempt to tell me what is a wise use of vacation or other plans. How I choose to spend my time off from work does not have to fit your definition of "vacation planning" or life priorities.

This response of yours is way off topic and wishes to raise issue with how I choose to manage my own life. Did you have an opinion on whether BTS should make more delivery options or not? Please leave my life out of it.

------------------

Garry Kump

Ya know what? It would have been a LOT better if BTS just never TOLD anyone they were shipping out the game.

Just think of all the threads about "I haven't gotten it yet!!" we could have avoided. Sheesh

Had they never said anything the games would just have started showing up. No one would be complaining like this. Well, of course Manieri would but he's "special".

My .02

Kingfish,

That is a good question. Who is to blame because my anticipation was high? Hmmm... maybe if CM was not so good it wouldn't have been so high?

Once I get the game, its all going to be water under the bridge and forgotten.

HOWEVER, BTS still needs to provide more delivery options. Too late for me, but internet purchase only games should have a variety of choices available to consumers.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>BTS must take all the blame<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have it on good authority (the voices again), that they also are to blame for Pearl Harbour, Monty failing to do anything but drink tea wherever he went, Area 51, the rate of income tax, the quality of the German football team, the weather in England, my inability to speak decent Japanese, the high gas prices, unemployment, the voices in my head, not freeing Willy earlier, the cancellation of 'The Muppet Show' on German TV 16 years ago, the overabundance of smilies, the absence of common sense among some of their customers and the low quality of Star Wars: Episode 1. Anybody knows other things they need blaming for? BTS - you really are terrible, how dare you?

------------------

Andreas

I'm sorry, but how old are you again? I think you have other issues to resolve. My God, will you die if you had to wait another week? Enjoy your vacation (if you can relax) and know that once you get home you'll have the game sitting at home. Would you really be able to enjoy your vacation if you got the game now? I'd rather get it afterwards.

Good thing Steve and Charles have thick skins.... I'd say this issue is a little over the top....

"BTS must take all the blame" ??

like, I mean really.... what does that mean?

Kump when did you order and when were you expecting to get the game?

Some people ordered over a year ago but if they live outside the U.S. they will still get the game after someone in the u.s. who placed an order for the game last week. Is that BTS's fault? I don't really think so...

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest MantaRay

Even though I got the game very fast, and I only ordered in May, I do think that BTS should/will give a second option availible in the future. You have to remeber that this is their first time dealing with this, and being rookies, they were bound to have problems.

But I do understand how they wanted to simplify things too.

The USPS does have a reference number on the packages, but I have no idea if you are able to track it through them or not. Maybe in the future they can give you the number on future releases and then maybe people can go it on their own. May be a lot of added work though!!!

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Once I get the game, its all going to be water under the bridge and forgotten.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And until then we have to keep listing to the whining and complaining. Thanks. We work for over 2 years for no pay, have very little sleep over the last couple of weeks, have to put up with HUGE errors that dennied us our credit card funds for 2 days (you might have been charged, but we didn't get the money for 2 days later), had to deal with a bunch of unexpected problems at our shipping place, etc. and all I see from you is a bitch session that you haven't got your game 2-3 days as we had hoped and instead are likely to get it a couple of days later.

I ask you... doesn't that seem to be a little selfish of you? We are busting our asses to get everything done as quickly and accurately as possible. No, sorry that the world can't be perfect and go in your individual favor 100% of the time, but that is life and I fail to see why we should have to be at the receiving end of what any normal person would consider "understandable and acceptable situations".

OK, my ranting is over for now. Please. Get a grip and relax. Your game will get to you as promised, if even a few days later than we expected.

Steve

YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT!!!

So I'm crying and nashing my teeth. So what!!! Ignore it.

In the future, customers can be better served by BTS by providing more delivery options. Period. If you think that is wrong, please, inform me the error of my logic.

Me and my big mouth. Should have just taken a valium.

Guest Big Time Software

BTW, if you had read the other posts I made you would understand that the main reason why people haven't received their orders is because it has taken several days to get all of them out of the warehouse. Therefore the shipping method is totally irrelevant in most cases. A person opting for an overnight option might have still been beat by people whose orders shipped out by Priority Mail. And then we would have to listen to people bitching about paying twice as much for an order that was received later than someone who paid half as much.

We just can't win, can we?

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 06-21-2000).]

Kump,

I have to ask, what possible reason did you have to post that topic. If you have a beef with BTS why didn't you e-mail them directly, rather than using this forum to vent?

The first sentence you wrote states : "I know that i will eventually get the game", and still you found it necessary to bitch in the one place that is visited by dozens of new CM fans.

Nice move.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

We just can't win, can we?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess you are right Steve - seems some people have the idea that your good customer service gives them the right to be rude into the bargain. I am actually very sorry for what you have to go through because of the shipping hiccups. Maybe you should just ignore the wingers?

Kind regards, and again congratulations on a job well done.

Andreas

BTS, I agree with everything you said. I haven't received mine either but I'm not complaining.

I hope you take all this bitching as the high praise it truly is. You have to realize that when you make a game so good it's more addictive than crack that the junkies are going to cry until they get it. I know this because I'm one. If you want to avoid this in the future don't make CM2 so damn good! (just kidding!!!!)

Steve,

I know you guys worked very hard and have delivered what I consider the best WWII tactical wargame ever and for that I will be forever grateful.

My bitching was the restrictive delivery options and my inability to track my delivery status. If it is ignored, fine, that is your decision. Sorry for the harsh topic! I definately got the kind of attention I would rather not have.

But yes, unfortunately, complaining is going to happen and I happen to voice one on the ordering system. Sorry. But in no way look at this as an attack on BTS's efforts to bring us the best wargame ever. You have my admiration and respect for that. I just wish now I went straight to a bar instead of work after driving home looking for CM.

kump leaves board with tail between legs....

------------------

Garry Kump

Guest Big Time Software

Joe summed up what I feel is the reasonable way to look at this. Our shipping folks told us that they could do x in y time. Due to several factors that they did not foresee (even though we tried to lay it all out before them) the timeframe for shipping out all preorders was doubled.

And as you rightly pointed out, the grunts doing the shipping could care less about things being in a particular order. There must have been some hiccup with the poster orders (or something like that) and instead of sitting on their asses while it was resolved, went ahead and got as many other orders out the door. That is the way they should have done it, even from our perspective. We want all orders, and that means the ones placed last month as well as last year, out the door ASAP. In theory this should have happened in 2 days and in the order they were received, but that is not the way it happened. On a disaster scale, 10 being the worst, I would say this scored about a 3. Minor delays and some injury to people's reasonable expecations. Trust me, a lot more went right than wrong smile.gif

But in the grand picture this is really not a big deal. In a couple of days every preorder customer should have their game and they will most likely feel silly for wasting time and energy getting angry.

This is a very simple situation to understand but I think we need to look at it again.

1) There is only one way to buy Combat Mission - over the Internet. If you are so against buying something via the internet, do not buy the game. BTS has its reasons for selling the game in this manner.

2) There is only one way to receive Combat Mission - via USPS. If you are so against the game being shipped USPS, do not buy the game. BTS has its reasons for shipping the game in this manner.

Whatever the reasons, BTS has decided to ship their game USPS. People bitching about USPS and BTS's choice is pointless at this time. Perhaps if enough people had sent emails to BTS before the game shipped and said "I was going to buy this game, but since you only ship USPS, I'm not going to" they may have seen a demand for other options.

Even though this is one of the best games I have ever played (based just on the demo), I think we need to take a step back and take a deep breath. Steve & Charles have given to much of their time creating this game to have to sit hear and listen to people bitch and moan.

Steve has stated (I think) that if you preordered and do not receive your copy by the 23rd (in the US) to send him an email.

PS: How pissed off would people be if they paid an extra $20 shipping and still were not the first people in their area to receive the game?

------------------

Dan