Explanation of where we are at now...

Guest Big Time Software

I really appreciate the update and the other info posted by BTS on the recent threads. Between these and the really excellant new screenshots at CMHQ I get a much better sense of where things are. It's reduced the urge (so far successfully resisted) to inquire about the release date and thereby garner negative cool points.

I hope the updates can be periodic (or even aperiodic) and I think the time spent on them by BTS is well invested in keeping the noise of the waiting masses to a dull roar.

And if these updates are trickled out to us, I sure hope we reciprocate and let the BTS folks maximize their improving, programming, tweaking, and making even more insanely great efforts. (There's a sentence in there somewhere)

Thank you again, BTS.

[This message has been edited by L4Pilot (edited 02-11-2000).]

Steve,

I know this is redundant, but since I'm just about ready to take the wraps off my boat, could you please hold up the release until maybe October?

oh oh

We all appreciate your efforts. Just the odd update of things done and things yet to do is more than sufficient and certainly more than any other game company would do.

I will almost certainly buy a second copy (or two) if the game is all I expect it to be -- one spare for me and maybe one for a friend. So take your time.

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

Guest Big Time Software

Making a demo consists of about a week of elapsed work. A couple of days to make the code work correctly (disabling lines of code isn't easy), couple of days of testing, and a couple of days to fix problems. This includes making scenarios specific to a demo.

However, once the last demo was released almost all forward motion on our end stopped cold for about 2 weeks. It might not be that bad the second time around, but it will be bad. So we are talking about a delay of progress of about 2-3 weeks. Then when we are ready for the Gold Demo the same thing. Sorry, just isn't a wise use of our time. You are going to get it eventually, so rushing things isn't a good idea.

Steve

Steve,

I'm not going to pretend to "speak for the group". I personaly agree 100%. Spending any time on anything else other than finishing the game is not time well spent. New beta Demo scenarios = waste of time.

There are people posting,… saying they have not played PBEM. Some talk about how bad they stomp the AI. To these people I say try a PBEM game. Totaly different! I have about 4 going now and find I need a few more to calm my CM fix. If anyone has not played PBEM and think the AI is a push-over, send me a set-up. boembeke2@earthlink.net

Thank you Steve for keeping us POSTED.

-Heavy B

------------------

Always Check Your Six!

Hunt52 I think this is your answer…

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software in this thread wink.gif :

Gold Demo will be released when we send the final off to the replicators. This means you will get to look at the Gold Demo 2-4 weeks prior to getting your hands on preodered copies.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes?

-B

------------------

Always Check Your Six!

Heavy Bomber,

I am one of the few who haven't tried PBEM. I have never played a PBEM game ever, any game. I have played numerous LAN games, and Hotseat games, so I understand how much better playing against humans are, but, honestly, I am very apprehensive of trying to do battle with all you grognards around here. The AI still gives me enough of a challenge. I usually win, with heavy casualties frequently, even though I know where he is and when his reinforcements show up, etc. So I can't imagine playing against folks who routinely trounce the AI. I actually have tried to limit how often I play the demo, to keep it fresh. Plus, I don't know if I would enjoy the patience required via a PBEM game. I better go play it again now...

Zamo out...

Thnaks a ton for the update info Steve. It will make my week away from my Mac almost bearable (well at least I will probably sleep) knowing that the game isn't going to come out while I am away.

BTW, why don't you send the game off to the replicator and then start the mods for the Gold Demo production so that they come out simultaneously for the big splash effect?

------------------

. . . we don't gnaw on our kitty

Guest GriffinCheng

Steve,

Thanks for the update.

Reporting time spent? Funny, it reminds me of filling up time sheets @ work. Well, not only you have to keep track of how much time you have spent in doing such and such. I think you actually have to add an entry in timesheet as "filling in timesheet". Sounds recurrsive? smile.gif

Well, looks like we have to keep sequezzing every drop of fun out of the beta demo.

Griffin @ work

Zamo,

Heavy Bomber is right, you really need to try out against a human. I can't play against the betaAI anymore as I find it a bit annoying (I am sure the full version will be more challenging), but it's OK for learning how to move and coordinate your forces. At least if you start playing PBEM with the beta demo you can blame your mistakes on the tacAI smile.gif

Zamo: I understand exactly how you feel. I had been playing Steel Panthers (SPWW2) against the AI for years. I was too afraid to play PBEM against the "experts". When CM came out I kinda felt it was new and maybe I'd have a chance of not looking like a complete fool. Man, am I glad I got the guts to start playing PBEM. Yes, I've had my butt kicked...but I've done some kicking myself. No matter win or lose...It's total fun. Also I've met some great guys...Go on jump in, Zamo the waters fine!

Guest Captain Foobar

Personally, I try and maintain a stoic attitude about whether or not I am going to win. There's no money on it, and as soon as you can accept the possibility of public defeat, it allows you to settle down, and play to your best potential. I'm actually playing my first PBEM against someone that I have never met. (Ive been playing my brother for weeks..) It should be interesting.. smile.gif

Major Tom is trying to psyche me, but I am unpsyche-able for reasons stated above!

hello all.

first: Thanks for the update BTS. Its little things like that that allow ya'll to stand head and heels above any other game company.

second: Yes i too was really worried about playing PBEM. I've only got one or 2 under my belt.(and yes i got my butt kicked too.) But what i have learned more than makes up for the public humiliation smile.gif

Lorak

------------------

-------------------------

"Na rabhas ar do chulaibh,

nuair lamhadh an pudar."

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

A-Frigging-men!!!!!!!

I applaud everyone at BigTime Software for taking the time to do things RIGHT instead of RIGHT NOW.

It’s wonderful and refreshing to hear that there are no marketing monkeys on the backs of the developers.

I pre-ordered Combat Mission months ago and have not looked back since. Take as long as you need (a year, even). I’m fairly certain that there won’t be anything like this on the market even a year from now.

It appears that this project is truly a labor of love. And like all projects of great vision and lofty goals, they take a while to realize. Look at Falcon 4.0 for instance. If the “Great Visionaries” at Hasbro didn’t kill it, it would eventually be patched to a great Combat Flight Sim. And even after its demise, the iBeta team has picked up the torch, so to speak, and will continue the patching free of charge for as long as they can.

BigTime is trying to avoid this constant patching process so as to release a FINAL product that works out of the box.

Great job.

I’ll be waiting for that package of the Final Product in my mailbox.

Bravo BTS. Thanks for the update Steve. I'll add my voice to the "I can wait for you to get it right" crowd. I have so much on my plate right now that I'm actually glad it is not out yet, because I would not be able to give the game the time I would like anyway. That is why I have not started any PBEMs -- I don't want to make an opponent wait forever for my turns. Hopefully I'll get some things ironed out here in the next few months. By then the complete game should be out and I can add my name to the list of those getting their butts kicked via PBEM.

Until then, keep up the good work guys. That includes Fionn and the rest supporting the development and marketing efforts.

Pixman

------------------

Fact is the enemy of truth. - Don Quixote

Guest Germanboy

Another reminder of why BTS's attitude is so refreshingly different from what one is used to with regard to SW producers.

http://www.maccpu.com/customer.html

Let's hope that the wallet vote will reward you guys!

Hmm, I did not realise the guy who wrote this is also completely mad...

http://www.airspacemag.com/ASM/web/site/QT/eiffel.html

Cool stunt though.

------------------

Andreas

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 02-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 02-16-2000).]