Weather Conditions Request

Hi,

Due to the huge amount (not Buffalo amounts though...) of snow in the Midwest region (Detriot MI area) I got to looking at weather in a CM kinda way.

I love how weather is done in CM. However, one thing I would like to see is the option to have a fog & snow mix. I've seen over the past week this exact condition quite a few times in many different conditions (rain on snow, heavy snow with wind, extremely rabid snow, and just plain foggy with snow falling)

I don't know what would be involved in it and I'm not going to try to guess...But, I think that this would be a cool weather feature to model in CM1 and 2. I realize it's probably too late for CM1, but it should DEFINATELY be in CM2.

Thanks

Keith

You can choose weather and ground conditions separately in the Scenario Editor.

------------------

Spending extravagant amounts of money for marginal improvements is only acceptable in the fields of racehorses and fancy women.

-Lord Kelvin

Yes, I know that. However, it doesn't simulate fog and snow together. I guess I was unclear with the request.

Basically, here is the situation...There is snow on the ground, snow in the air, and fog. I think that would be a nice feature to see.

Now that I think about it...I think it might also be cool to have smoke generated from builing explosions. This might simulate the dust storm caused by the debris. It would only have to last like 2 turns, and I think it would be a pretty nice feature as well.

speaking of weather...I have my computer plugged into my stereo, so the sound is loud and surrounds me. I played a QB with rain and I was immersed in the game play. The weather effects are very good IMHO.

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Now that I think about it...I think it might also be cool to have smoke generated from builing explosions. This might simulate the dust storm caused by the debris. It would only have to last like 2 turns, and I think it would be a pretty nice feature as well.

Also it would be nice, if some fires expand. Especially when it burns in woods or from building to building. Also cool would be, if the debris of exploding buildings are realistic modelled: every shrapnel which is shown could be lethal... depending on the material... wink.gif I quess now it gets to complicatet...

Greez

Pain

------------------

War is in my heart

Death is by my side!

I know it's been discussed before but I'd like to see the option for weather to change during the battles.It'd be nice to start with fog and have it burn off or rain moving in and out.Even fighting at dusk/dawn and then into night/day.

I think it'd add a lot to both QB's and designed scenarios.

Operations are what to use to have things change from day to dusk or dusk to night.

I don't think many of the battles in CM's scale would have spanned a daylight condition change. Attacks were often scheduled to cross their start line (i.e. when a CM would start) right at dawn, meaning a CM battle set to dawn would work.

Battles were rarely begun if night were right about to fall. In most cases the troops would either find sleeping spots for night, or else regroup and attack after nightfall.

DjB

I just sort of threw the day change in there.I'm more interested in the weather change during battle.

With a possible change in weather you really have to keep on your toes.As it is know,if you've got fog you can set up knowing it won't change.With variable weather you set up for fog but then you have to give some thought to what you'll do if it gets better or worse.

It would also give scenario designers another dimension to play with.If you chose the option for variable weather it would be set up like reinforcements are now (rain,turn 18,20%)That would lead to even more interesting scenarios.PBEM would benefit too.A change in the weather can turn everything around.

I just think it'd be an interesting addition to a future version of CM.

Okay..

I guess I'm still not being clear... The fog with snow on the groung thing...I know about that....

However....Snow falling with fog...It would be 1 extra item in the weather dropdown menu. I think it would be a very useful addition.

1. It creates almost zero visibility

2. All snow effects

3. All fog effects

4. For CM2 it certainly will be a condition that should be modeled for reality's sake

5. All the code is there for both of these conditions seperately

6. Think of how useful it would be to have some T-34s emerging from the forest in fog, but obscured by the snow...Pretty scary

All in all, there are a lot of things that people want to see. I know mine is just one more things on that long list of things that will never happen.

However... It's always worth a shot! And while I'm at it...map localized weather conditions....lowland fog with the rest of the map clear...

Keith

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Originally posted by saru3000:

I know it's been discussed before but I'd like to see the option for weather to change during the battles.It'd be nice to start with fog and have it burn off or rain moving in and out.Even fighting at dusk/dawn and then into night/day.

I think it'd add a lot to both QB's and designed scenarios."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as each turn takes a 'real time' minute... the average scenario takes only 30 minutes of 'real time'...not enough to make a large difference in day*night or fog*burn-off. The idea of fog only in some spots (the bog not the hills?) is certainly more realistic.

------------------

***Sôphrosunê***

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Correct me if I'm wrong, but as each turn takes a 'real time' minute... the average scenario takes only 30 minutes of 'real time'...not enough to make a large difference in day*night or fog*burn-off. The idea of fog only in some spots (the bog not the hills?) is certainly more realistic.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't think it's realistic for snow to start falling in the middle of a battle? I think it'd be unrealistic to go into a fight and know for sure that for the next 15-60+ minutes that the weather won't change.

As I said it would only be an option.You wouldn't have to use for every battle.It'd just be something to use every now and then.

I'm not demanding it be put in.The game's fine without it.It's just one of those tiny wishes that get posted every so often.

Guys, setting conditions to "thick fog" cuts visibility to like 25 meters. I tried a game like this. A company of veteran riflemen (half Volksgrenadiers, half standard line unit) with good heavy weaps and vehicle support and a green UK rilfe company destroyed each other. I replayed a couple times, and each was the same. Not much fun.

I just don't like playing with conditions that rotten, and I don't know how frequent battles happened in these conditions.

DjB

I'd just like the option to have snow on the ground, but not falling in a QB. As it is now, you either have snow on the ground and falling from the sky, greatly limiting visibility, or no snow at all. We need an option for having snow on the ground, but not in the sky, giving limitied mobility but regular visibility. Would definitely be interesting for an attack and defense situation. These were extremely common conditions.

Thanks,

Jim

"With a possible change in weather you really have to keep on your toes.As it is know,if you've got fog you can set up knowing it won't change.With variable weather you set up for fog but then you have to give some thought to what you'll do if it gets better or worse"

That's why I like to play with Random weather & ground- It makes buying units & planing ahead a tricky task.

------------------

"Far better it is

To dare mighty things...

Then to take rank with

Those poor, timid spirits

Who know neither

Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt 1899

I say thee, YEA!

Oh well. Just enthusiastic I guess.

Firstly. Not everyone plays 30 min. battles. I personnali like 1500 to 2000 pt, 45 to 60 min battles. They force you to plan for long term engagements were ammo depletion is always a key factor. Anyways. over a 45 min period it can go from full dark to full daylight levels. And weather can definitly be very fickle. Like the 5 minute snow flurry we had here today...

However. If weather effects are to be modeled on a variable basis, it would be wise to consider weather affects that would vary within the terrain scale of a CM map. Fog in a bottom or around water has been mentioned. A moving front of fog, rain, or snow, etc. If we are really going to dream of new affects it would be nice to see dynamic lighting from fires, smoke that blows away across the terrain, and mod-able tracers. biggrin.gif

As to whether or not it would be enjoyable to frequently play in a heavy-foggy-snowy-night on heavy-snowy-thicky wooded-very hilly terrain... probably not. But you can always throw it away and start a new QB. tongue.gif

The last one I had like that was a night-heavy rain 2 platoon of armour and 2 us rifle companies trying to dig out a whole lot of Volksturm and panzershreck teams. It made ne play a LOT different from normal, and taught me a lot that will be usefull in defending later. smile.gif

Ta all!

------------------

"What are we going to do tonight Brain?"

"The same thing we do every night Pinkey... We're going to take over Europe!"