wurfrahmen

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, but what's the minimum range? How close can one get where it can't hurt you any more?

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

[This message has been edited by Babra (edited 02-10-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Yeah, I forget the minimum range on those puppies, but when we looked at this topic a while ago on this BBS we confirmed that it is too long. These vehicles, along with any form of NW projector, were for indirect fire from safe distances. Therefore, no point sticking them in CM wink.gif

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

Largest Indirect fire weapon is a 16 inch battleship shell wink.gif.

Kills virtually everything within 200 metres of its impact. BAD news for the German defender wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kills everything within 200 meters of its... eek.gif

Remind me to only play Germans when the scenario is located well inland. wink.gif

I guess it isn't much different from dropping BLU-82's on the enemy. Does anyone know what sort of effective blast radius the BLU-82 has? Seeing the burst from altitude does not really give me an idea of how big it really is.

Thanks in advance,

-Lurker

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

200m kill radius ? eek.gif

Fionn, you don't think such a weapon might unbalance a scenario a little bit?

Dschugaschwili<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I'm sure it would! Just think that they usually fired in salvos of 3. Or 6 or 9 if they had that many guns.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

A Honda Civic filled with TNT and travelling.... how fast? eek.gif Fast enough to lose a few points from his license anyway.

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

Guest Seimerst

Those battleships were one of the few weapon systems that you could call a "destruction fire mission" upon. That is where the final adjust fire observations from your "spotter" were given in feet and not yards (or meters). I recall a destruction mission being called in several days after D-day on a dug in Tiger-- the observer danced the last shell right down on the turret hatch.

Once for a bit of fun I put a German Pattern 44 Infantry Battalion on a hill and called in fire from 3 x 16 inch FOs (to simulate the entire broadside of a battleship).

When my shells had finished landing there were 17 Germans left alive on the hill. The others were, well, I never DID get an accurate bodycount wink.gif

I figure that roughly 350 died in 4 minutes of shelling.. The remaining 17 surrendered to my advancing infantry wink.gif. Lost two tanks to shorts though ;(

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babra:

That sounds waaaaay too destructive. What fun would a scenario like that be?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lurk mode off...

Years and years ago I read in a book about the German heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen (8x20.8cm main batteries - you figure out what that is in inches) that it singelhandedly stopped a Russian armored breakthrough (I think in regimental strength) in the last weeks of the war. So it might just be a tad unbalanced, I guess. Thing to remember though is that even after all the pounding of the beaches on D-Day there were still a lot of troops left to welcome the liberators. smile.gif

------------------

Andreas

Whoa guys...

Remember that BTS and testers have been saying for a LONG time that the REALLY big stuff is totally deadly and unbalancing.

FWIW I don't know of a single scenario featuring 16 inch shellfire.. I know of a few with shells in the 8 inch calibre class but even those are VERY rare.

In most scenarios 120mm mortars and 155mm shell are considered HEAVY artillery wink.gif.

Still, it's like the King Tiger.. It might just totally unbalance the game but its fun to play with the BIG stuff every so often wink.gif.

FWIW I made that one scenario for fun and haven't used 16 inchers since.. That was about 4 months ago wink.gif.

'....and haven't used 16 inchers since.. That was about 4 months ago. '

The thought that some lucky bastards have been playing CM for 4 months already is almost unberable ...... i would have licked the antimagnetic paste from a panther to be a tester voor CM tongue.gif .

Grtz S Bakker