CM Mod Manager

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Madmatt

As soon as it gets the big ole Madmatt Seal of Almighty Approval (which is a given on this one) I will get it posted IMMEDIATELY!

That I promise.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission and home of the CMMC

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

Open Source, Hmmm. I wrote it in Borland Delphi, so I'm not sure anyone would want the source.

Wouldn't that just lead to an abundance of Mod Managers to compound the abundance of Mods?

There's no redeeming value to source that, for the most part, just copies files from here to there. The value here is in the .cmm file spec that all mods must be packaged into, to make it easier on the user. I have a CMModCreator App that builds these .cmm files from a list of BMP or WAV files.

[This message has been edited by TwoSheds (edited 10-24-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TwoSheds:

Open Source, Hmmm. I wrote it in Borland Delphi, so I'm not sure anyone would want the source.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oops. I was sure that it would be in VB. I've never worked with Delphi, but I understand it's popular.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Wouldn't that just lead to an abundance of Mod Managers to compound the abundance of Mods?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think so. I think it would lead to more features eventually ending in the dreaded 'creeping elegance'.

There's no redeeming value to source that, for the most part, just copies files from here to there.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure there is, you've done the boring parts. smile.gif

The value here is in the .cmm file spec that all mods must be packaged into, to make it easier on the user. I have a CMModCreator App that builds these .cmm files from a list of BMP or WAV files.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll stop being contrary and agree with this last point. Thank you for your work and efforts.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Hey FurBallMagGP, I think I agree with you, what do you mean by "sandbag" graphics?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The frames bkgrnd on the battlefront.com website wink.gif

Although well intended, the color scheme gives me headaches.... I'd redesign the site for free if they'd let me wink.gif (hint hint)

But just keep it simple and I think you have a winner......its the meat that counts, bro.

------------------

-gp

FBM's CM Resource Center

(after waiting silently for days on the limb of a tall tree waiting for her quarry, Kitty sees her opportunity at last. There it is! The GP has returned to the water hole once more!! Kitty pounces!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FurballMagGP:

The frames bkgrnd on the battlefront.com website wink.gif

Although well intended, the color scheme gives me headaches.... I'd redesign the site for free if they'd let me wink.gif (hint hint)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my GOD! Like having you redo it would make it BETTER? ROFL!

Actually, though I agree with you (Shut up, that doesn't mean I don't still hate you). wink.gif From a purely asthetic point of view the site is kinda lacking. I also think that there could be a better representative picture of the game than the first one they have now . . .

But just keep it simple and I think you have a winner......its the meat that counts, bro.

Well, duh. Their product rules and in case you haven't noticed they don't seem to be relying on advertising and packaging to sell it. =P Actually, a really "slick-looking" site might be a turn off to some people. My on opinon is that those attracted to shiny objects probably don't have the intelligence to play this game. =) I'm up WAY (4:36am) late and I know what I'm thinking but not sure I can type it . . .

so I'll say it in a paraphrase of the words of whoever wrote the review on Squad Leader that I read tonight: "Game sucks. The box is really pretty though." The game is what counts.

Kitty =^..^=

Looks great..well done...a few questions though - will it have the functionality to let the user add or remove mods to it or will this require an update from you as new mods appear??. Also will it let you install single mods i.e - a tank, tree, uniform mod or will it be just full MOD packs??

Nice work - Don't Stop!!

[This message has been edited by Manx (edited 10-25-2000).]

I can't tell from the screenshot but it appears you may have to

select an entire mod pack to use. It would be much more useful

and desirable to be able to select individual skins from

different mod packs. For example, I'd like to be able to pick

the Panther skin from Mod_Pack_A but pick the King Tiger skin

from Mod_Pack_B (even if there are skins for both tanks in each

of these mod packs), and then pick the tree from Mod_Pack_C but

the grass from Mod_Pack_D. There are many great mods out there

but I could get the optimal look for myself if I could choose

the particular skins that I like from each mod pack.

I think this was what Manx was getting at by his question.

I'm not knocking your work - it looks great, and even if limited

to entire mod packs it will still be a leap ahead of what we

have to do now. Perhaps you can already do what I am requesting

above(?)

Thanks for the work - Keep it up!

(Modified to improve formatting)

[This message has been edited by Kilroy (edited 10-25-2000).]

Manx & Kilroy, The last thing I would do is make you guys wait on a Mod from me! The utility comes with a CMModCreator app for Mod makers to package their mods into a .cmm (Combat Mission Mod) file and make them available to you, the user.

The only thing a user has to do is d'load the Mod (.cmm file) into the Mods Folder and run CMModMgr.

Will it let you install single skins from different Mods? Be VERY careful what you ask for here... my head hurts just thinking of what the average CM Player would have to go thru with this kind of flexibility. Short answer is No.

Attention All Mod Makers: The responsibility will be on you (not the player) now, to organize, describe, and version your Mods. Of course the CMModCreator utility will be available to help.

When will it be done? It's basically done now (I'm using it!), I just need to write the User Manual, and an install for it, and I'll send it off to MadMatt, for his approval and distribution (Matt has final say on functionality). Remember though each Mod Maker will need to repackage his Mods into a .cmm file (with CMModCreator) and make them available for download.

Hunter, I've got one, I've just always wanted two. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by TwoSheds (edited 10-25-2000).]

Just FYI, and not trying to fuel any fires, but on the mac side it was very easy to create the program so that the user could load whatever skins they wanted to - to mix and match MDMPs, third party and original files.

support for specific mod packs is provided as well - all the user has to do is open a file that contains the mod skins and then select from a list which ones you want to install.

a jpg viewer allows the user to view the mod ahead of time (assuming the mod maker provides one), and a text reader (very basic) allows the user to read about the mod before installing it.

So, if you wanted to, you can have a turret from MDMP-1 and a chassis from MDMP-2 if you really want to be weird. (I did hard code in the conversion so that you could not replace a tiger chassis with a stuart chassis, for example).

Also included a revert feature to revert selected textures to the CD. All automated, but powerful enough to allow the user to experiment as much as they want. There's no way to delete a file, just replace it with one with the same name...so the game wont be crashed by accident.

(though there is a trick way to delete a texture, it takes a lot of work and was needed to allow the deletion of the winter textures, since there are no 'original' winter graphics)

not sure why you sound so ominous in not allowing users to mix and match, that's all....seems to work ok on the mac side.

I can provide more detail on what I did if you are interested...

Good luck and glad to see the PC side will have a mod manager real soon. You guys will love having one!

dave