Combat Mission Lore

In watching things develop here at the forum, esp since we have had alot of new blood, er fresh blood er, new victims, er newbies etc, we have been creating a shared history and mythos.

I invite you to share memorable moments in CM history for the benefit of others who, by reason of their recent arrival may not have experienced them.

My personal favorite is the "Night of the Refreshing Monkeys" when the GoldDemo came out and we crashed the BTS server

Certainly, the Canadian delivery problem is an ongoing item that can enter the realm of fable Soon to be lost in history as things smooth out.

There are other moments (and closed threads!!! about that HMG and running for instance, or being Penged.....So what do you remeber of your time here that brings a smile or chuckle to your lips.Share your memories.

oh lets not forget the the SS Panzerleader "Autosurrender thread"

I forget the exact cause of the autosurrender, but I think it was in the beta Demo the SS PanzerLeader had his forces autosurrender on him and he WAS pissed about it..

that was another good one..

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are so many highlights that it is hard to pick just one but I have chosen 2.

The thing that sent me from being very curious to putting me over the edge was the Alpha AAR between Moon and Fionn. I was on the edge of my seat each day waiting for the next turn to be released. It was very tense and gripping and I wasn't even playing. That was when I was sure we were dealing with something special here.

The other can be summed up in this quote from the now famous "Of Cabbages and Kings" thread:

"SS, You are a CABBAGE! you are green and leafy and you smell bad when you are cooked too long. Salting and marinating in oak barrels is too good for you,and no one will ever top you off with some nice white wine. I think massive amounts of alcohol might help to mellow you somewhat and perhaps give you a more pleasant taste. But essentially you are sour and spoiled and not fit for human consumption, except in the most dire of circumstances. Even when concilliation is rubbed generously on your broad green leaves and into your stems like a savory paste, you reject it on grounds that it is actually a lump of cold poisonous evil, as the use of smilies obfuscates bad intent. In My Humble Opinion, you are a nit-picking, bad-tempered, grudge-harboring, humorless,thin-skinned, girly-man. I for one will avoid you and your posts.

Since this post is supposed to be aboout cabages and kings, and the vegetable has been served. on to the kings....to hell with them too.

Peng

Official Notice: No smilies were used in this post.However, during the composition of this post several smilies were tortured to death, by me, with great huge pointy sticks and jolts of electricity and hot pepper extracts rubbed into their naughty bits."

------------------

"To conquer death you only have to die" JC

One of the funniest threads is in the "CM-Tech Support" board.

The famous "Bizarre Bug seen - armored clown car" thread about the "12. Panzerclownische Division" smile.gif

If you missed it, head to the board and read it...

Fred

my fave was all the excitement genereated by the alpha AAR between Fionn and Martin.

And who could forget all those glorious dead bodies threads.

Ahh, the halcyon days of the CM forum.

Jason

But the refreshing monkeys was the best because I WAS ONE OF THOSE MONKEYS smile.gif

Yes, us refreshing monkeys must get a mention.

Also I quite enjoyed the debates on the merits of various Kitchen Sink units.

Lastly but not least, something that we haven't seen for a while ( but could probably have used in the last month) Von Shrads' Van.

------------------

IN VINO VERITAS

Ah, refreshing monkeys? that just happened recently!!!

You gotta love the Dead body threads... or even better, the floods of requests for the Beta Demo back right before it first came out...

That's how far back I go... I jumped on just as the Beta Demo came out...

Most of you all are newcomers (relatively speaking)... although, hats off to those of you who've been waiting for a year and a half

-EridanMan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elvis:

The thing that sent me from being very curious to putting me over the edge was the Alpha AAR between Moon and Fionn.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's it for sure! I recall being a refreshing monkey even before that infamous night, hitting that button in the hopes of a new AAR page.

I've been reading the forum since then, but kept my trap shut until the arrival of the game on my doorstep filled me with such glee that I had to share. biggrin.gif

Oh my God... you all are right. The graphics are not bad... I mean they are GOOD! Very good. And much more better than in the Demo I played. Why do they release such bad demo versions?? I was shocked.. Thx for the link.

That one was from BUMRUSH.

Those of you who had read the "Trollish" threads should have appreciated the guy attempts to make amends.

biggrin.gif

In my history of newsgroup reading, it was the first time I actually LOL in the office reading that.

The guy has style...

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

[This message has been edited by PawBroon (edited 06-30-2000).]