Plea from an amnesiac

I have just returned to the CM demo after several months, and struggle as I may i seem totally lost re recall or find ref. to 2 elements in the gameplay.

1)How do you arrange the orders so that a passenger unit can disembark from a carrier en route and then proceed on foot.

2)Do small mortar units( eg 60mm etc )have to have their own line of sight to a target?

I should be very grateful if anyone can please fill in these holes in my memory.

Many thanks

Guest aaronb

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>However, they will not disembark until the carrier has reached it's final waypoint, hence it is not possible to disembark "en route". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I routinely disembark "en route". The trick is a) give the disembark order near a carrier waypoint and B) have the carrier 'move' or 'hunt' at the disembarkation point (no-one wants to jump from a speeding halftrack).

Great tactic (assuming no bazookas or panzerfausts): rip a group of HTs up to a building, troops disembark and storm building while HTs move away to a safe distance. All with one movement order and a bunch of waypoints. Note to MCH: don't even think about it, I have 'zooks everywhere (smiley omitted in homage to MrPeng).

Actually, in re: to 1), you can *sorta* make infantry debark en-route by causing the vehicle in question to slow way down. If you order the vehicle to make several short moves/rotations, the infantry will likely jump off while the tank is two-stepping around. Simply give the infantry debark orders toward wherever you want (make sure that they don't jump off before the tank starts moving in the first place; use PAUSE) and have the tank dawdle around at a point nearest where you want the infantry to go.

DjB

Regarding 60mm mortars:

Played "Last Defence" as Allies yesterday.

I was able to kill three Halftracks with my 60mm mortars, direct LOS. I have noticed that all the kill occured on stationary half-tracks. As a human player I would have realized that the half-tracks are under mortar fired and moved them. The AI HTs, however, stood still until they were hit. Has this been adressed?

Also ... a building damage indicator would be nice. Lost a whole heavy weapons platoon in a collapsing building. Could have been avoided had I known the state of the building I think ...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomm:

Also ... a building damage indicator would be nice. Lost a whole heavy weapons platoon in a collapsing building. Could have been avoided had I known the state of the building I think ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thomm,

IMO, that would be unrealistic. The only people that would know the condition of the bldg would be the occupants, and if they're getting shelled, then they'd be too occupied to notice.

Actually I have to agree with you, Black Sabot.

Of course a building collapsing all at once is unrealistic, too, but these are the limitations. So maybe I will count hits next time to avoid this nasty surprise.

As a side note: I think it would give a nice effect to let the building "sink" into rubble when collapsing. At the same time the base could be clouded with the nice new fog. For the poly house this would mean a simple translation downwards until the roof has vanished ... pretty cheap programwise ... those who know Syndicate Wars will know what I mean. But I am sure that the collapsing building animation is one of the surprises in the Gold Demo wink.gif.

Regards, Thomm

I really don't think knowing when a building is gonna collapse is unrealistic at all. All I think is needed is another level of building damage besides perfect. It doesn't have to show up graphically either so there's no hit on VRAM. Just where it says whatever unit in: BUILDING have it say in: LIGHTLY DAMAGED, MODERATLY DAMAGED or HEAVILY DAMAGED building. That isn't at all realistic because if you were in a building you would have some idea of how damaged the building is.

Hey I just had another idea! Maybe make building's selectable so you could click on them and find out there status but only if you have a unit inside it.

Just a few thoughts.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

Regarding HTs and mortars:

There is a bug in the beta demo that makes open-topped vehicles like HTs far too vulnerable to mortar fire. This has been fixed - and given that, it's much less problematic that the AI kept them there, since they really shouldn't have been in much danger.

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

Colin,

After reading your post a dozen times and tossing about arguments in my head i've come around to agreeing with you to a certain extent.

IMO, the bldg damage rating is a good idea, especially if you include the part about it having to be occupied to be rated.

Actually, in addition to allowing you to withdraw your troops before the roof comes crashing down, you could use that info to your advantage in another way.

Picture yourself having a squad in a bldg that is heavily damaged. You see an enemy squad approach to capture it from you. You retreat out of the bldg, let them enter, then blast the bldg with HE to bring it down on their heads. I like that smile.gif

The part i believe might give this idea problems concerns 2 story bldgs. If you have a squad on the top floor, pinned down, they wont know what damage the bottom floor is receiving.

Granted they might hear explosions and feel the house shake, but they can't tell if it was a 105mm landing in the backyard or a 75mm going thru the front door.

Nevertheless, good idea. Think hard, maybe you can come up with a solution to the 2 story bldg smile.gif