Any Cards that dont FREEZE

Been battling since day one with my limited knowledge -

1) Game freezes - getting by playing the AI using the autosave files, but when I save & later reload it freezes as soon as I go to view level 1 or 2. PBEM files received freeze the same way.

2) I've only got 2 colours (light & dark blue)for C&C; targeting & movement lines; and

3) the house transparency does'nt work.

2 & 3 not too serious, but 1) is a real problem - I would love to get back to PBEM.

Tried everything that I could find on the board, that did'nt sound too complicated.

Checked that I had the latest drivers for graphics card & mouse; loaded directx7a and then loaded drivers again in case.

got a 366mhz with 64Ram; win98; onboard S3 Trio 3D graphics card with 8mb ram (yep - know it's the minimum requiered); MSMouse.

Suspect that I'll have to invest in a card, but **** scared that I'm going to buy something that would'nt work either - seems that a hell of a lot of cards are giving problems?

So I'm looking for a safe bet - as cheap as possible and widely available.

Any suggestions guys/BTS?

Johan,

I am doing very well with the Voodoo 3 2000. 16 mb and all functions up and running smoothly. Cheep and available in both PCI and AGP version it should fit your MB no matter what type you have.

Others have had problems with it here but as far as I have seen it has all boiled down to driver or DirectX issues, the card itself does a good job once the software is right.

In any event, good luck smile.gif

M.

Got a P3 550E overclocked to 660MHz, 128MB RAM and a Diamond TNT2 Ultra.

CM demo runs sweet at 1280 x 1024 and hasn't ever crashed. Looks great on my 21" Sony Trinitron monitor biggrin.gif

Sad to hear you having problems, I'd go grab a better vid card for sure. Anything with 16MB RAM should help.

Reg's

Fen

S3 has always had trouble with DirectDraw implementation. This might fixible by BTS by lots and lots of work to add in specific "if S3 cheapo-card is found, then do this", but the bugs are basically S3's. I'd suggest picking up a discount TNT for $50 or $60. Call the smaller computer stores and ask for an "OEM" package. This means you just get the card in a static bag, but it'll save you a bundle.

Sage

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Johan Brittz:

Been battling since day one with my limited knowledge -

1) Game freezes - getting by playing the AI using the autosave files, but when I save & later reload it freezes as soon as I go to view level 1 or 2. PBEM files received freeze the same way.

2) I've only got 2 colours (light & dark blue)for C&C; targeting & movement lines; and

3) the house transparency does'nt work.

2 & 3 not too serious, but 1) is a real problem - I would love to get back to PBEM.

Tried everything that I could find on the board, that did'nt sound too complicated.

Checked that I had the latest drivers for graphics card & mouse; loaded directx7a and then loaded drivers again in case.

got a 366mhz with 64Ram; win98; onboard S3 Trio 3D graphics card with 8mb ram (yep - know it's the minimum requiered); MSMouse.

Suspect that I'll have to invest in a card, but **** scared that I'm going to buy something that would'nt work either - seems that a hell of a lot of cards are giving problems?

So I'm looking for a safe bet - as cheap as possible and widely available.

Any suggestions guys/BTS?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Same here.

My 32MB Diamond Viper 770 TNT2 Ultra works great.

I'm using the 2/3/00 drivers--Version 4.12.01.0368.

Building transparencies and smoke transparencies work great.

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 05-23-2000).]

These are the latest drivers I could find from S3 (which you may already have as you indicated). I've included the URL to the S3 ID program that can identify the exact chipset, amount of memory and video modes available to it. As other members have pointed out S3 has a bit of a problem implementing DirectX without bugs. Since this is an older chip there will be no further drivers developed for it.

S3 Trio 3D (365/366):

http://www.s3.com/customer_caretechnical_supportdriversS3_Graphic_AcceleratorsTrio3D_%28365%5E366%29.htm

S3 chipset ID program (run from DOS prompt):

http://208.202.167.131/swlib/enduser/s3id.exe

Upgrading to another card is probably your best bet. From what I could guess your system probably doesn't have an AGP slot (few boards that have built-in video have AGP slots available). That leaves you with upgrading to a PCI video card. Several users here have indicated that they are doing fine with the 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 PCI 16Mb.

I've got a Sound Blaster Nvidia Riva TNT2 4X with 16MB. I don't know the cost, it came bundled with my Acer. It's probably a less expensive card though. I haven't had any problems with freeze ups yet.

Flix

Creative Savage S4 which works just fine. No hangups or anything (after I upgraded the drivers). The mouse gave me some trouble, but that's another story! smile.gif

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason "why", our's is but to do and die!