Is AFV HE too powerful vs. Infantry?

I'm throwing this out there to gather information and opinions... HE is certainly effective... but how effective? It seems that when I target a squad with an AFV it always seems to completely destroy the squad...HE is less accurate then AP rounds. It could certainly hurt infantry but it would have to POUND that target for a few turns... in CM it seems like its 1 turn and BLAMO.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Medieval:

HE is less accurate then AP rounds. It could certainly hurt infantry but it would have to POUND that target for a few turns... in CM it seems like its 1 turn and BLAMO.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, HE may be less accurate depending on the gun BUT with AP you have to hit the target to inflict damage. With HE just getting it in the vicinity of infantry is going to cause much harm! smile.gif

Yes a bullet is more accurate than a grenade but the grenade is so much more inclusive. You don't have to actually hit them with it to let them know one is there! biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Also, why would HE rounds be less accurate than AP? Unless I'm missing something, accuracy should be a factor of the gun and the crew, not shell type.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HE is less accurate, typically because there is a smaller charge and the round has a lower velocity, and hence higher trajectory.

However, to some extent you are comapring apples and oranges. Most of the time a gun is using HE, it is engaging an area target. An AP rund either hits the vehicle it is targetting, or it misses completely. With HE, close enough is good enough.

Jeff Heidman

We have 2 different experiences then... that's good. Maybe, I'm getting lucky. biggrin.gif

In regards, to HE vs. AP accuracy, I worded it poorly. I would say HE was less effective in killing infantry relative to AP's success in knocking out tanks. For example, AP was shot at hard targets and was made to pierce armor... and it did it rather well. HE was fired not at indivdual men but at general positions to cause problems and kill, of course. There were NOT HE shells for bunkers or HE shells for when infantry was in Holes or HE shells for when infantry was on a beach. Therefore, it was less effective in its usage then AP was in its. And I was stating that HE seems to be extremely effective (for me) when it was not.

But, I would say that HE was of lower velocity then AP.

[This message has been edited by Medieval (edited 11-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Medieval (edited 11-01-2000).]

Hi,

my feeling is the opposite, HE is not effective enough against infantry. I have done no fixed statistical survey but I seem to have to use a vast number of rounds of HE to deal with dug in infantry. Even at a rage of 300-400 meters and after one or two ranging shots the infantry seem to take a lot of killing.

Only an impression.

All the best,

Kip.