old pic of CM

Here's something from a Scott Udell article on CM from a while ago smile.gif

shot3big.jpg

It would be cool if after the release you guys could put up some really old pics and comments about the direction at the time type chronology kind of article type thing smile.gif

WOW smile.gif

at first I thought it was a mock up! But yeah that was the pre alpha versions wink.gif

heheh biggrin.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! :P

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe... the only thing funnier than remembering what it used to look like is what it used to PLAY like smile.gif I remember being blown away from the very first prototype (using this map with one Panther and one Sherman) and having lots of fun "playing" a game even back then. But oh boy, I can't even stand playing the Beta Demo, so I shudder to think what this 2year old pre-Alpha would be like to play now biggrin.gif

Steve

Guest PeterNZ

reminds me of a cross, as has been said, between South Park and also Carmageddon 2, when you've hit the "Giant Pedestrians" power up biggrin.gif

PeterNZ

Well...I like it... smile.gif

Hahaha. At least, the tanks appear to move with the front forward...that is an improvement over CloseCombat IV where the other day I lost a KingTiger against a Sherman because the KT advanced is REVERSE to his enemy. What a frustrating and annoying experience!!!!

Guest R Cunningham

Shots like these should take the wind out of the sails of the graphics don't count crowd. Couldn't there be a patch for the guys who don't think you can't have a wargame without EGA 16 color graphics? The pre-alpha graphics package for the truly hardcore is available at....

I know nothing about programming or gaming design, mind you, but had I been asked to work on the project as it looked in that pre-Alpha pic, with the promise that it would be the best wargame ever... I would have run away screaming, certain that BTS were a bunch of loons. Thank you BTS for putting forward such an astounding effort from the start, hence proving me a drooling moron. I still discover new aspects to the beta demo daily.

Can't fully comprehend how much better the Gold demo is rumoured to be. You guys rock!

A LONG time ago (early '99?) I came to the BTS website to check the game out. With pictures like the above, I can't say I was particularly impressed...

Anyone can say they are the most realistic or the bestest with the mostest. It takes about two seconds to type it. S&C (et al.) have actually taken time to back their statement up.

And it's not just the graphics that have changed, I've been reading for months and I've been amazed at all the little things that BTS keeps adding to make the game better.

I don't think I'm objective about this game anymore. I've become a CM sycophant

Jason the Searchonaut

I had a similar experience last spring. When I first stumbled across the Battlefront site I was left unimpressed. I promptly forgot about the game until the epic Alpha battle between Fionn and Martin last August. Like a grognard soap opera, I got hooked. Have been since. Glad to see how absolutely wrong my first impression was.

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe... see, this is why Grognards shoot themselves in the foot smile.gif We were bashed into releasing screenshots before we were ready to prove we weren't vaporware since "graphics don't matter, only the game does". Then we were slammed for not looking like Quake. And people think that making games for a living is fun ... smile.gif

The above is a shining example of what is called "programmer art". That is, stuff the programmer tosses is to see if the code is working. Ugly as all Hell, but it serves its purpose for a while.

Steve

It's like a KTMA episode of MST3K!

I'm surprised you guys haven't surpressed these incriminating images like the Best Brains gang did!! smile.gif

We need to start a CM Fan Club. We could get a special autographed letter from S&C when we join (I still want my manual autographed smile.gif), a pin denoting our grognardness, and a secret handshake!!

Jason

Guest KwazyDog

Damn, that piccy brings back memories smile.gif I used to have it stored somewhere, but I lost it. How things have changed smile.gif

Steve, if your reading this again, how old would that one be mate? smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

A wee shy of 2 years! IIRC we released those late spring or VERY early summer two years ago. However, the graphics themselves had changed little for many months prior, so this stuff is maybe 2.5 years. Cripes... I think we might have been working on CM more like 3 years! Oy smile.gif

Steve