1.1 beta: Chat key (tilde) is bad

Just played two TCP/IP test games, everything worked fine. Only problem is the chat key, tilde (`) which requires pressing the shift key simultaneously in Finnish keyboard. This makes it of course real hard to use. Another bad key is /, which rotates the view. Again shift is needed...

Why can't we have a customizable keyboard? Adding a .ini file wouldn't be too difficult.

I like the TCP/IP play and all the new features of the v1.1 patch so much is it hard to bring myself to complain

however....

since Fuerte started it...

On the Mac the ~ key to initiate a Chat is VERY close to, (right on top of) the esc key on my Powerbook keyboard so a few times while in the game I esc'd out of it by accident, while trying to chat, this is a small nuisance as it is relatively easy to get back into the game.

BUT the one that bugs me the most is the choice of the Shift key as a modifier key for toggling things like Roofs and Smoke graphics on and off.Also on a Mac Powerbook the tilde ~ key requires the Shift to be held down, if you miss the shift and just hit the ~ then

attempt to chat, (I was Shift Typing To Capitalize My Words) then the roofs would flcker on and off and the Trees were disappearing and reapperaing and the smoke and warning labels were coming and going and the vehciles came and went, VERY weird. smile.gif

It is only a MINOR thing but the choice of the shift key for modifiers in the game is very questionable IMHO.

and the ~ key to chat is a little tricky.

Even Tab to chat would be better or BEST of all space bar to chat! EVERYONE has a space bar and it has no known function so far.

Yes Space bar to start chatting and return to send it,.....

How about that you Finish and Norwegion guys?

hit the Space bar once to start to chat?

NOPE sorry I'm WRONG the space is used to cancel orders, its busy smile.gif Ooops sorry.

Just a friendly suggestion smile.gif

the key board lay-out is workable the way it is but it could be a little easier to initiate the chat I think smile.gif

thanks

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 11-30-2000).]

same with the ` key on german keyboards.. shift first.. and I found the chat a little slow in responding to key strokes.. just me? btw BTS rocking tcp/ip.. I love it.. just opened more options to waste my time infront of my computer.. the wife ain't to happy though..heh.

YES! SPACE BAR to chat. I love it. But in all honesty, any key as far away from the esc key as possible would work. I have a V5 5500 and I enable 4x FSAA. Hitting esc is like the kiss of death. Yes, I can get back to the game, but when I do the text is all garbled and unreadable. Meaning I have to save, quit, get back in, reconnect, start again. Definitely not gonna win too many friends that way smile.gif. My one and only time playing TCP/IP last night and not even after the first move was over and I accidentally hit the esc key instead of the tilde key (Madmatt, you were my opponent, this is a first hand account of the problem).

Otherwise, awesome!

------------------

Jeff Abbott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fuerte:

Just played two TCP/IP test games, everything worked fine. Only problem is the chat key, tilde (`) which requires pressing the shift key simultaneously in Finnish keyboard. This makes it of course real hard to use. Another bad key is /, which rotates the view. Again shift is needed...

Why can't we have a customizable keyboard? Adding a .ini file wouldn't be too difficult.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This key is fine for me, but I played someone who had their keyboard setup for danish and he couldn't chat at all. I would suggest using another key on the keyboard such as one of the letter keys, which isn't used already.

Theron

same with the ` key on german keyboards.. shift first.. and I found the chat a little slow in responding to key strokes.. just me? btw BTS rocking tcp/ip.. I love it.. just opened more options to waste my time infront of my computer.. the wife ain't to happy though..heh.

oops

I'm WAY wrong on two counts

in the "keyboard" screen on my Mac, the ` key not the ~ (tilde) key, is shown as the initiate chat key. so the shift is not required.

and OF course (Doh!) the Space bar is the one to cancel orders so now I look like a complete idiot. Yes and the Tab key is busy too, (lock view to unit, I LOVE that one)

I still don't like the ` key to start to chat, but what's left?

the "9" key? its not busy?

there are many kinds of keyboards and the key to start to chat should be a common one. the choice to go with the ` key makes sense because it is on all keyboards.

Hope I have not been flamed already for my earlier rant. smile.gif

-tom w

In fact space bar is used to cancel a menu. But I guess pressing space when the menu is not visible could open the chat.

Tab is used to center the view to the selected unit.

Enter is used in other games to chat, is it used for anything in CM?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fuerte:

In fact space bar is used to cancel a menu. But I guess pressing space when the menu is not visible could open the chat.

Tab is used to center the view to the selected unit.

Enter is used in other games to chat, is it used for anything in CM?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well isn't that the one the brings up the info on the units?

or is that "return"?

I thought the Space Bar was used to cancel an order in progress?

And for all you Mac weirdos, buy a PC and quit whining! I don't get it! CM has been programed on a G4, apparently Charles didn't have any problems with what he assigned as the 'chat key'.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

I thought the Space Bar was used to cancel an order in progress?

And for all you Mac weirdos, buy a PC and quit whining! I don't get it! CM has been programed on a G4, apparently Charles didn't have any problems with what he assigned as the 'chat key'.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes the space bar is also used to cancel orders so it is not a candidate.

I Will NEVER buy a PC and I NEVER support Microsoft, EVER! Mac zealots usually feel pretty strongly about this one. smile.gif

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergei:

At least 9 and 0 are not used by anything. Hey how about Å key? I'm really bother about how no games ever utilize Å. It's a fine letter, don't discriminate it.

Anyway, I guess customable key maps would be the best solution.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

å oops  Å Forget that, on a Mac I have to hold down BOTH the Shift and the option key then tap a to get Å! That's a major two handed operation.

-tom w

Yes, Enter (or Return) opens the unit info, how could I miss that. smile.gif

How about this key: §

It is left to the 1 in the Finnish keyboard, just under Escape. It would be fine! wink.gif

But there must be many other unused keys. Function keys?

Yes, customizable key maps would be the best solution! I could then map / to something easier, like -.

you are joking right?

the § key is a bit of work on the Mac that's an option 6 to get that one, another two handed trick

I would lobby for either

0 or 9 or - to initiate the chat....

EVERYONE has a 9 key

Easy, easy, 9 is not to close to anything else important (like esc) to cause any further trouble. OK well 9 could be close enought to 8 to get an instant way overhead view of the map, fair enough, at least 0 is in the middle of 9 and - and it both 9 and - do NOTHING, so 0 is also a good choice.

I would really prefer a keystroke that does not have to be modified by another key like alt shift option or control to work.

smile.gif

-tom w

juardis wrote

"Hitting esc is like the kiss of death. Yes, I can get back to the game, but when I do the text is all garbled and unreadable. Meaning I have to save, quit, get back in, reconnect, start again."

Hi I had this problem till last night,I overcame it by making sure I was using the same resolution for desktop and the game.I always make sure I minimise the other programs,reapply CM from the taskbar play hit esc launch other program etc it seems to work just my 02c worth

Regards Gramps

IMHO, Tab would be about the best, or maybe Backslash (below delete). They're both large, out of the way, with no other important keys nearby. I think BTS chose ` because it is the standard chat key for a couple of other games, such as the Marathon trilogy.

Does Tab work well for Swedish, German etc keyboards?

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game