Techware GRU V.1.0 To Be Release Tomorrow (FRIDAY)

Guest Gunslinger

Guest Gunslinger

Ok, I'm done with version 1.0

My system is a Celeron 466 with 128 Megs of RAM. I have a Creative TNT2 Ultra card with 32 megs of RAM and a 15 inch monitor. I play CM in 1024x768 with all graphic features enabled. This upgrade looks great on my system ,but your mileage may vary depending on your system. This update does not do anything except modify the BMP files and most files are the same size as the originals so you should not see any slow down.

Here is the feature list:

1) All graphic files tones down. Saturation levels were too high for my liking. Had too much of a cartoon look.

2) New Grass Texture from MDMP-2 Modifed slightly with lowered Sat values and clarified.

3) Player faces modifed with some players having facial hair (Mostache, go-tee)

Some players have a tan, some don't

4) All winter textures from Madmatt and various authors added, then modifed to fit the GRU 1.0 color scheme.

5) Photo-realistic sky backdrops for sunset, clear day, storm, and snow storm added.

Night background darken a lot.

6) Explosion Graphics Version 2 from Madmatt's site added.

7) Tree Textures clarified to more realistic tones. Some transpareny issues resolved.

8) Brand new smoke graphic. Instead of one black ball of smoke, modified BMP to have 3 that rotating giving a more pronounced dispersing effect. Smoke is darker and more pronouced.

9) Brand new fire graphic. This took the longest. Wouldn't have believed fire could be so hard to produce. I tried several methods. One was edting the default fire. Then I tried downloading images of fire from the web but with the 18 frame limit it just never looked smooth. Finally I hunkered down and created a fire graphic from hand. I think you will like it. It jumps and flickers slightly just like real fire and does not have *seems* in the graphic like the original.

10) Brand New Ambush Marker. I didn't like the default ambush marker as it was too prnounced and distracting. So I created a new "slash X mark" for ambushes.

11) Modified the Sniper Marker to have only one distance tick mark. Less distracting.

12) Heard people say they wanted a way to place craters in the mission editor but there was no placeholder for the editor.

So I chnaged the Rubble texture to a burned crater. This does two things. No more flat rubble graphic, and now you can make a battlefield that looks like a battlefied in the editor. IF YOU DO NOT WANT this, make sure you back up the following graphic file:

SEE README.TXT When uploaded.

Install the update, then copy back this backed-up texture to your BMP folder.

13) Added the Real German Markings to the German Flags from Madmatt's site.

14) Brand New Loading Screen depicting World War II. Replaces the default comic strip type graphic.

Installation will be a snap.

----------------------------

First and Foremost. Back-up your entire BMP folder. If you don't back-up and you decide you don't like the update then you will have to re-install from the CD.

1)Download the following Zips (Not on site yet)

Buildings-V1.zip ----- 6 Megs

Soldiers-V1.zip ----- 2 Megs

Misc-Textures-V1.zip - 2 Megs

Special-FX-V1.zip ---- 2 Megs

Terrain-V1.zip ------ 16 Megs

TREES-V1.zip --------- 2 Megs

Vechiles-V1.zip ----- 24 Megs

------------------------------

Total 56 Megs

2) Unzip each zip into your \Combat Mission\Bmp folder allowing them to overwrite files.

3) Play!

As always, I am open to real suggestions. If you write me just saying "this sucks you blowhard" then expect to be ignored. This update was done for me, and I am sharing what I did for others to enjoy. If you don't like it, simply restore your graphics BMP folder that you backed up (You did back it up didn't you?) and have at it.

Tonight I will be uploading the files to my server. I only have a 56k modem so it will take me all night and some of the morning I assume. It should all be ready by Friday night by 11 Pm EST. You will know when its done by going to http://techware.gtinsider.com

If you see a COMBAT MISSION link then it is ready. (Make sure to refresh the page when you visit to make sure your not seeing your cache file.) I will also post here when it is finally uploaded.

I have placed the appropriate credits in the README.txt and the credits will also be listed on the web page.

------------------

**GUNSLINGER** camper.gif

Just Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited 09-07-2000).]

Guest Gunslinger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Echo:

Doh! Whats a sniper marker?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ambush point for a sharpshooter.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited 09-07-2000).]

Guest Bad Ju Ju

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Los:

Just curious, did you ask Madmatt before you started working on his MDMP packs?

Los<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is just a wild guess, but given the "open" nature of mods, the sharing of which is widely promoted by Madmatt and others, I don't think there is much of a proprietary thing going on here, especially since GS is giving credit where credit's due. I fail to see the point of your question, LOS.

------------------

"I didn't go to evil medical school for six years to be called MR. Evil." Dr. Evil

WRT the crater (ex-rubble) bmp:

If used, the "crater" will have the same terrain effects as rubble.

As far as the game mechanics are concerned, it's rubble - it just looks like a crater.

Is this correct?

Thanks smile.gif

------------------

"The mass of the [Red] army stationed in Western Russia is to be destroyed in bold operations involving deep penetrations by armored spearheads, and the withdrawal of elements capable of combat into the extensive Russian land spaces is to be prevented.

By means of rapid pursuit a line is then to be reached from beyond which the Russian air force will no longer be capable of attacking the German home territories."

- - - Directive 21 "Fall Barbarossa"

Guest KwazyDog

"I fail to see the point of your question, LOS."

My guess Juju is that all LOS was refering to was politeness, no hidden meanings.

Gunslinger hasnt mentioned using any of my textures for his mod pack and I have no problems if he wishes to do so, but as always it would be nice to be asked wink.gif

"As far as the game mechanics are concerned, it's rubble - it just looks like a crater.

Is this correct?"

Sure is purple, textures will not affect the game engine in any way. You could turn the trees into grass if you wanted too, but CM will run just the same smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 09-07-2000).]

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 09-08-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>This is just a wild guess, but given the "open" nature of mods, the sharing of which is widely promoted by Madmatt and others, I don't think there is much of a proprietary thing going on here, especially since GS is giving credit where credit's due. I fail to see the point of your question, LOS.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I personally like to be asked when someone uses/modifies one of my mods. Some of these mods require quite a bit of work and thought. I don't mind people modding my mods but it'd be nice to be asked.

-johnS

What .zip file will the new smoke be in... and is it transparent smoke, or Voodoo 2 smoke? wink.gif

Also (stupid question alert) I assume that we can pick and choose which of the d/loads to install?

Thanks for all the work man!

EDIT: OMG! I just realized you said you were doing all this with a 56K! I guess I won't complain about d/load time!

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 09-08-2000).]

hey men!....don't build up a new hot debate!

We must appreciate men like Madmatt, Gunslinger, KwazyDog, Wild Bill Wilder and many others I forgot to mention (oh I forgot Steve and Charles smile.gif).

These men aid in making greater this great game...new graphics effect, new scenario operation (BTW I do like Stoumont Operation!)

Let us thank all of them!!!!!!

Guest Gunslinger

Man, some of you can't give me a break can you?

I'm not trying to be an ass but I said I was going to post the mod tomorrow. That means tonight I do the PR thing and send e-mails to people's work I have modified and kindly ask there permission. If they say no, then the mod doesn't go up. No hard feelings. If they don't answer with-in 8 hours I assume it's ok.

Of the Mods I have downloaded only 2 had any copyright/restrictions listed and of those restrictions all it said was if you modify the work, then give me credit, which I whole heartly plan on doing.

But since it was brought up here then I'll save the trouble and ask here.

I have used the following mods in my work.

If you are the author, please state so and say if it is ok for me to post an altered for of YOUR work. You will be given complete credit for your work in the Readme.txt and on my website http://techware.gtinsider.com

I plan on releasing the mod with-in the next 24 hours so prompt response is kindly desired. Thank you.

MDMP-2 (tank paint jobs within) (Mad-Matt)

Explosions Version 2 (Mad Matt, Tiger, Dainkart)

Camo - paint jobs for vehicles(pzvg, Tiger,Marco Bergman,Stephan Galambos,David Molinarolo, Desert Fox)

Uniforms (Ed Durkin, David Molinarolo)

Velvet Grass Texture (Richard Tremblett)

Snow Texture with LOS lines (Marcus Govan)

Radio Light( DeanCo)

Flag Textures (*IX*Angela Deth)

I also plan on tracking the authors down now and e-mailing the question if you don't want to answer here.

You guys got to give me a chance to breath.. jeez wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited 09-08-2000).]

Guest Gunslinger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ironcross:

went to your site,their is a comabat mission link but when clicking it,it comes up page not found?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not ready yet.

I'm awaiting approval from the Mod makers.

------------------

Guest KwazyDog

"MDMP-2 (tank paint jobs within) (Mad-Matt)"

Just so you know Gunslinger there were several people worked on the mods in the MDMP-2, so you might want to track then down seperately to keep the piece. wink.gif

Like I said above, I have no probs if you include any of mine. I did all of the non winter tank mods in that pack, plus other stuff I dont remember from MDMP1 if you used any of it...Hehe, ummm.....trees ring a bell along with the tree bases and umm....yeah whatever.

Thats seems like a lifetime ago wink.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 09-08-2000).]

Guest Gunslinger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

"MDMP-2 (tank paint jobs within) (Mad-Matt)"

Just so you know Gunslinger there were several people worked on the mods in the MDMP-2, so you might want to track then down seperately to keep the piece wink.gif

Like I said about, I have no probs if you include any of mine. I did all of the non winter tank mods in that pack, plus other stuff I dont remember from MDMP1, hehe. Ummm.....trees ring a bell along with the tree bases....whatever, hehe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

.. Shakes head.. why me? biggrin.gif

I just sent an e-mail to about 20 people about 10 minutes ago.

Everyone WILL be included biggrin.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.gif

------------------