Does BTS have any plans to expand?

I was wondering if BTS has any intention of adding additional programmers to the CM project, or whether it will continue to be just Charles?

I was thinking about the Operations/Scenario creator, and how it could use a lot of work. Currently it has some issues, and could really use a rather major re-write to add a *lot* more ability for a scenario designer to customize various things. Wouldn't it be great if you could designate dynamic victory locations, victory conditions, force pools, entry zones, etc., etc.?

The thing is, there is very little chance that it would get done to its full potential with just one primary programmer trying to do the game itself and this as somewhat of an afterthought. I am sure you could have a full time person doing nothing but designing and implementing the scenario/operations tool.

I know BTS has added MaddMatt and KwazyDog, but IIRC they are not coders. Is there any thought in the future to expanding the actual software team?

Jeff Heidman

Guest Big Time Software

Our medium term plan is to expand our programming capabilities. This probably won't be for at least 2 years though. In order for this to work, from our perspective, the Combat Mission engine needs to be rewritten. The only person to do that is Charles. So first we finish CM2, then we start to think about what comes next wink.gif

Steve

If this should happen Steve I hope and pray that the working relationship will be close so that you don't end up with a case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing! I think that one of the reasons that CM is so successful was the fact that there were very few cooks stirring the pot.

But don't get me wrong I can definately see where extra help would benefit the game. But I guess I shouldn't worry you guys are gamers too.

Mord

Just when I though my little Java skill won't help...then...please count me in!!! If you need an extra hand or pairs of eyes -- actually 2 pairs in my case -- in historical research, or even an assistant in handling web site let me know.

Griffin @ work-place

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Guest Big Time Software

Mord, not to worry. Your concerns are the same exact ones that are making us progress slowly on this. We think it is better to put out fewer games, but of a higher quality. What we need to do is make something that other programmers, on a "tight leash" can effectively work with. Right now that is not possible, so we have to wait for an engine recoding first.

Then we can take over the world as the good Captain suggests smile.gif

Steve

P.S. Sorry Java folks, intense knowledge of C++ is a must for whatever job might be available down the road...

Guest Madmatt

Steve,

You mean my Java coded Real Time Bar Fight Simulator Madmatt Mission: Beyond BiteMe ISN'T going to be published?!?

But..But..But You promised! frown.gif

mad.gif

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-22-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe... funny story here. When Bungie was secretly developing Halo, they told people that they were making 3D Tic-Tac-Toe. I saw an interview with them playing it up to the hilt. They had artists around a monitor sculpting Xs and Os, Alexander was talking about how they were going to revolutionize the world of gaming, etc. I busted a gut when I saw that smile.gif

The interview was conducted by Inside Mac Games some years ago.

Steve

BTS, too bad you are looking for CPP ppl only. Anyway, I am afraid CPP will be the basis for all gamings while Java takes over the other parts of the World. Hehe.

If the Bungie story was true, it would be the best cover-up since DES.

Anyway, if you are looking for some *more* ppl to look after your website or some research, I am happy to be in. (still not giving up...)

Griffin : bored by work -- place

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Guest KwazyDog

Lol, funny story Steve wink.gif

Hehe, funnily enough I actually have 3D Tic Tac Toe typed in there but change it becuase I had a faint memory of there actually being a game like that already.

Guest Madmatt

Your words strike me like poisoned dipped razor sharp blades... frown.gif

I was serious..

I'll show you...I'LL SHOW YOU ALL!!

MM:BB Will be the greatest game of all time!

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Our medium term plan is to expand our programming capabilities. This probably won't be for at least 2 years though. In order for this to work, from our perspective, the Combat Mission engine needs to be rewritten. The only person to do that is Charles. So first we finish CM2, then we start to think about what comes next wink.gif

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So the North African/Italian campaign will be with the new engine then (pray) or will a rewritten CM1 and CM2 will come first?

My friend asked if a Pacific campaign will ever be? May be with the new engine?

------------------

Boris Balaban

WORK bbalaban@rim.net

HOME b.balaban@home.com

Has ny (even preliminary) design work been done on CMII?

Man, I could fill up a couple of pages on thoughts for how to make the current engine more flexiblefrom a programmatic standpoint.

It's funny how the most successful designs (like CMI) engender the greatest room for change.

Jeff Heidman

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It's funny how the most successful designs (like CMI) engender the greatest room for change.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got that right Jeff. Things that break the molds (in a good way) most often do this. When the first computers came into the home, people imediately thought of doing far more than they could handle. But before the computer arrived, they hadn't thought of probably any of that stuff.

What you guys didn't get to see is how CM evolved. The original concept and implementation was so much more basic than anybody can imagine. But as we worked on it we kept seeing more potential for improvement, which we did, which caused us to see other areas we could improve upon, etc. etc.

This is the problem with traditional wargaming. Rehashing, almost rule for rule, what has been done for the last 40 years really limits the imagination. CM obviously broke with tradition in many fundamental ways, which is why it has gone in a totally different direction.

Combat Mission's engine rewrite might very well happen inbetween CM2 and CM3. There are no hard plans in place right now, and it might be that CM3 will be released with the old engine WHILE we are working on the new one. This sort of "slipstreaming" is good for us as developers, and you as customers. That way you don't have to wait for 1.5 years for another new theater of operations, yet you won't have to keep playing a continually revamped, but not fundamentally changed, engine.

Do we have ideas for this new engine? You betcha we do smile.gif Lots of 'em. Do we have significant enhancements planned for CM2 already? We sure do. But we don't know which of the hundreds of ideas we have will get on the schedule yet. Now that TCP/IP is largely done, this will happen fairly soon. And over many beers too, I might add smile.gif

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

What you guys didn't get to see is how CM evolved. The original concept and implementation was so much more basic than anybody can imagine. But as we worked on it we kept seeing more potential for improvement, which we did, which caused us to see other areas we could improve upon, etc. etc.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, have you guys given any thought to writing a book about the development of Combat Mission? The process you describe might make for a very interesting read, even to a (more) general audience.

Dan

CM will be forever refreshing!

Madmatt wrote:

You mean my Java coded Real Time Bar Fight Simulator Madmatt Mission: Beyond BiteMe ISN'T going to be published?!?

Madmatt, should it not read:

...Java coded Real Dime Bar Fight Simulator?

biggrin.gifwink.gifcool.gif

------------------

'Every attack ends in a defense'. Clausewitz