Good Bye Col. Klink we will miss you

For all you Hogans Heroes Fans.

'Hogan's Heroes' star Werner Klemperer dead at 80

NEW YORK -- Werner Klemperer, a refugee from Nazi Germany who played the bumbling German prison-camp commandant Col. Klink on the TV series, "Hogan's Heroes," has died. He was 80. Klemperer died of cancer Wednesday at his home in New York, said his publicist, Bernie Ilson. Klemperer fled Germany in the 1930s with his father, Otto, a distinguished conductor. He eventually won two Emmy Awards for his portrayal of Klink on the 1960s sitcom about Allied prisoners of war during World War II.

We will miss you.

Bummer. Actually I thought that he died a few years ago, but I guess I was wrong.

As an aside in the PA senate race one of the candidates name was Ron Klink. I thought a great campaign commercial would be to have Colonol Klink give him his endorsement smile.gif. He may have lost anyhow, but at least his campaign would have been memorable.

Warren

He also was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I didn't even know that we was still alive.

------------------

What do you know about surfing, you're from New Jersey !

Guest Big Time Software

I saw an interview with him a couple of years ago. I thought he wasn't looking very healthy at the time.

What I didn't know about Klemperer is that he was apparently a rather big star of the stage.

BTW, the actor that played Sgt. Schultz (name escapes me right now) was an Austrian (or German?) Jew who escaped before it was too late. So it is kinda ironic that the two regular German characters in the TV show were both fugatives from Hitler's regime. Because of their bumbling antics in the show I somehow find this to be poetic justice smile.gif

Steve

Steve: His name was John Banner. He and Colonel Klink were my two favorites in the show, which had me glued to the TV every Friday night as a teenager. Last August while wasting time in the American Airlines Admiral's Club in DFW, Hogan's Heroes was on the TV--but I couldn't get my 14-year-old son interested in it. How tragic...

Anyway, Klemperer (and Banner) will always be fondly remembered by us old farts who watched them during our "formative years" (deformative?).

der Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

I saw an interview with him a couple of years ago. I thought he wasn't looking very healthy at the time.

What I didn't know about Klemperer is that he was apparently a rather big star of the stage.

BTW, the actor that played Sgt. Schultz (name escapes me right now) was an Austrian (or German?) Jew who escaped before it was too late. So it is kinda ironic that the two regular German characters in the TV show were both fugatives from Hitler's regime. Because of their bumbling antics in the show I somehow find this to be poetic justice smile.gif

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, Hogan's Heroes. When I was five or six years old (back in the early 1970s), I saw an episode featuring a captured allied pilot smuggled out through the prisoners' series of tunnels. (Remember the tree stump?) Well, there was some footage of the airman coming down on his parachute, and I thought I would replicate this feat by leaping from my Dad's desk to the couch in the corner.

I missed the couch, hit the hard slate floor, and wound up with six stitches in my chin. I'm thirty-one now, and I still have the scar.

Colonel Klink will be missed.

I'm too young to have seen the original episodes, but I love the reruns. Klink, you are missed. May you remain safe from the Russian Front forever.

-109 Gustav

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

He was the son of Otto Klemperer, a famous symphony conductor. The funniest scene from Hogan's Heroes is when Col. Klink is playing with his string quartet and everytime it's his turn to play a part of the piece of music he's always badly off key. I understand he was in reality a very good musician. He was one of the great character actors of the 60s.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

[This message has been edited by Wayne (edited 12-08-2000).]

This is sad news. I used to love Hogan's Heroes as a kid. I saw Werner Klemperer on Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher a few years back--he seemed in pretty good health and certainly fine spirits then. Maybe you can catch it in reruns.

As a classical music lover, I'm surprised to learn he was the son of Otto Klemperer (should have guessed), who was one of the greatest conductors of the century (his Mahler interpretations are particularly fine).

------------------

Hope you got your things together,

Hope you are quite prepared to die. --CCR

There have actually been scholarly articles about Hogan's Heroes, particularly in how Schultz and Klink were more afraid of their own High Command than they were of the Allies. Every time Klink thought the Adjutant General was coming he'd about jump out the nearest window, and Hogan would save his bacon. It was very interesting.

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dima:

They are still airing the old shows. At least in Ontario, Canada.

He really is a brilliant actor !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IT on Prime In Canada and Combat! is on history if I am correct.

Guest MantaRay

John Banner wasnt in a Death Camp. Frenchy was. He even stated in interviews that he didnt mind the setting in the show because there was no genocide performed on the POW's.

Klink was also on my favorite episode of Perry Mason (pre- Hogans Heros) and won a Tony award for his work as a classical narrator.

Huge loss for someone who made so many laugh.

Ray