Good Bye Col. Klink we will miss you

Klemperer was not only a good musician, but extremely knowledgeable about classical music. I believe he was a regular on an NPR classical music quiz show along the lines of "Name That Tune."

I loved Hogan's Heroes, no matter how politically incorrect it might have been.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 12-08-2000).]

Well, he's just no longer here to shine his wonderful life on this world, thats all. I love Hogan's Heroes, and I'm a whippersnapper compared to most anyone else who knows about it. I've seen every episode. One of my favorite lines was Carter on assisanating a traitor-actor:

"I'll tell him I'm gonna take his picture, and inside I got a 37MM CANNON! <everyone stares> ...well... sawed off of course!"

And I remember the episode Klink's quartet performed...the end of the episode went a little like this:

<Klink is looking through some music Hogan gave him, and finds something he'd like to play, and begins setting up>

(outside, in the meantime, Gen. Bulcauter and a high ranking luftwaffe officer are wondering how the allies knew where their new secret factory was.)

LW officer: "They knew exactly where to hit us."

Gen Bulcauter: Yes, those cursed Americans and heir Air Force! I never want to hear anything remotely related to the US Army Air Corps again!

<inside the office, Klink has begun playing Hogan's music; it is nothing other than "Off we go into the wild blue yonder," the Air Force Hymn.>

Also, Louis Lebeu (played by Robert Clarey) was a concentration camp surviver.

I just love the irony of it all, and I love the show.

God bless mien kommandant!

------------------

busboy

CO, 99th Dragons

A Warbirds Squadron

'We will heat you up'

"It is well that war is so terrible, else we would grow too fond of it."

-Robert E. Lee

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

I'm too young to have seen the original episodes, but I love the reruns. Klink, you are missed. May you remain safe from the Russian Front forever.

-109 Gustav

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great line 109, I think it's pretty safe to assume now he no longer has to fear the dreaded posting. smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.

Guest MantaRay

I cant remember the title of the movie, but he also played Eichmann. Ironic that a Jewish man could find the strength to play such a beast.

I am kind of shocked how many of you guys liked such a non-grognard show. I am also glad to know I am not the only one who loved it and still watches it on cable when i can.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

Hardcore Gamers Daily

I know my grandfather used to hate the show "Hogan's heroes" because it "made the germans look stupid" but I loved it anyway.

I always hate the news reports about the old actors you have'nt heard from in a long time as it always seems to lead to a story about their death. Long live Col Klink!!

Mention of the Schultz character being in a concentration camp made me remember something. I met Robert Clary very briefly something like 10 years ago -- he was doing voicers and was, I think, involved in a soap opera or something like that. Turns out he WAS in a concentration camp during World War Two.

Guest Zaraath

Leon Askin (Gen. Burkhalter) and Robert

Clary (LeBeau) were also Jewish, and Clary was actually a concentration camp survivor.

Was he a partisan? Why would he be in a Luftwaffe POW camp?

Askin is apparently still alive, I thought he was one of the first from that show to pass away.

I enjoyed seeing in Klemperer in Cabaret (Herr Schultz) and a play. This was over ten years ago, and he didn't seem to have aged much. He has also appeared on Politically Incorrect numerous times.

Guest Zaraath

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MantaRay:

Klink was also on my favorite episode of Perry Mason (pre- Hogans Heros) and won a Tony award for his work as a classical narrator.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He also had a cameo on The Simpsons ("The Last Temptation of Homer"), as Homer's guardian angel. "Ho-merrr!"