BTS: QuickBattle: Armour,Combined etc - Why not Unlimited?

Right now in quick battle we are forced to choose units up to certain point limit from categories.

We can adjust categories by selecting "Type" - for example Armoured/Infantry/Combined etc...

Instead of forcing the player to choose from some categories only why not have "Unlimited" category?

Let me/opponent choose from ANY type of units I want. This make battles much more unpredictable...

Interesting thought. I actually like the combined category, it gives me some structure and keeps me honest in building a (at least somewhat) realistic unit.

What I would like to see is one (or both) of two things:

1) The ability of each person in a PBEM to choose the formation type independently of each other (and without knowledge of the other) and/or

2) a "random" setting for formation type, so the computer will assign you armor, infantry etc., in much the same way that time of day etc. can now be random.

I think one or both of these would provide uncertainty without resorting to completely clear set-up categories.

Just my $.02.

--Philistine

Absolutely, still want the present categories. It would just be nice (but not a big deal IMHO) to get the option to do random/secret force compositions.

I'm not sure I'd use it all that much (but I do like the option). Generally, I think, especially as the force size gets larger, that in most instances the forces had at least a rough idea of what type of forces were on the other side, and the different force categories do provide some flexibility in divvying up your forces, so I haven't seen a problem so far.

--Philistine

Perfectly reasonable idea.

For myself I always choose combined arms, especially in PBEMs. The only other variation that I would use is infantry only. Can't imagine doing tanks only as this takes the fun out of CM for me, but that's just MHO.

The thing that I absolutely love about this game is the effectiveness and importance of infantry. For the first time in my computer wargaming memory infantry is queen of the battlefield and all else, armor included, is merely support. IMHO as it should be.

Pat------just a point of clarification. If you select "Armour" you get an opportunity still to purchase infantry /support/arty etc-----its just that the proportion of these purchasable is lower and the armour in the mix can be maximised if you wish.

Its interesting and intriguing to vary your "type" selection as clearly the approach and tactics demanded with each can be quite different and provides variety of battle type.

pcelt, I think the biggest disadvantage is something Like I came across.

When setting up my Multi-player game. I tried to use a quick battle to start it. Problem is the way the points are allocated. If I choose armor I couldn't buy enough infantry for what I wanted. If i choose infantry or combined, then other areas were lacking. Only way around this was:

a) increase the points to way to much.

B) create a scenario, where you buy what you want.

Obviously I used b. But would have liked to just use the QB screen. Lot less hassel.

My understanding for the unlimited option is this. You get your points. spend them on what ever you like until you reach your max.

Just an option.

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

I'd like "unlimited".

Would be fun to try building the ultimate formation! smile.gif

I know it couldn't be all tanks..

And would make it impossible to guess what your opponent has,

this being the most important point.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PatAWilson:

The thing that I absolutely love about this game is the effectiveness and importance of infantry. For the first time in my computer wargaming memory infantry is queen of the battlefield and all else, armor included, is merely support. IMHO as it should be.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Queen of the battlefield" - just as the WWI generals thought. Well, it certainly changed with the tanks! As Guderian himself said, that era was over.

André

Is it possible to alter the point allocation process a bit? I understand that in a mixed force you shouldn't be able to buy all artillery, or something equally unlikely, but it is equally unrealistic to find yourself unable to buy a particular unit because you are one point shy of what is needed in that category. For example: if I have 103 Infantry points left I cannot get a German Infantry platoon worth 105. How about a scheme where you can go beyond the limit at double the cost, i.e. the two extra points would cost four being taken from one of the other categories. Or maybe the platoon shows up slightly understrength? Or, maybe it just isn't worth the effort