Shoot from Halftrack

Hi,

In the full game can you fire with inf weapons from the back of say a halftrack?

I mean when you are embarked and not disembarked

Cool if you could ,would like to know if someone knows.

Bazookas,MG,Rifle,Panzerfausts,Panzershreck,etc...

Omar.N.Bradley

------------------

No, you can't.

Do a search, this has been discussed before.

IIRC, it was basically deemed unrealistic to give the enemy knowledge about any load the AFV might be carrying just so that three or four guys can fire. And, BTW, how accurate would the fire really be?

Sten

The Manual states that Mounted units can not fire.

Reasons I figure.

Too damn busy holding on. (tanks, ect..)

Too busy hiding. ( you ride in a half-track to avoid small arms fire, not stand up and fight from it).

Not enough Men to be effective( 12 guys in a half-track. Maybe two on each side could shoot. The chances of two rifles fired by men standing in a track while moving over rough ground hitting their tagets is slim and none... and slim left home.)

I don't really see where it makes much diffrence.

Lorak

------------------

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Omar.N.Bradley:

Hi Sten,

You would do it when you are not moving.

So you should have pretty good accuracy.

Omar.N.Bradley

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Omar,

that last thing you want is a stationary HT full of troops, in LOS of the enemy. Things like that give zook and mortar crews hard-ons wink.gif

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

Hmmm,

In the game they cannot, but in reality they did. If it´s a design decision of Steve & Charles I´m fine with that.

However, some of you might enjoy reading this little snippet from the original Panzergrenadier Vorschrift. Enjoy reading smile.gif

First everyone has to keep in mind that Panzergrenadiere execute completely different missions than infantry forces.

The training manual - Heeresdienstvorschrift 298/3a concerning command and control and combat operations for Panzergrenadiere "Fuehrung und Kampf der Panzergrenadiere" - hits the nail on the head:

Mechanized Panzergrenadiere are the armored assault troops (Sturmtruppen) of the Panzerdivision. Their unique, rapidly maneuvering operations form the prerequisite for operational commitment. Togetber with tanks they form a close combat team. They carry out independent assignments in bold, rapid action.

A high level of maneuverability, all-terrain capability, armored protection, highfirepower and an abundant outfitting of the means of command and control enable them to master difficult situations rapidly and succesfully.

Mechanized Panzerarenadier formations fight from Schuetzenpanzerwagen. Enemy action and terrain can temporarily force them to a rapid cbange from mounted combat to fighting on foot. Even during dismounted operations, the heavy weapons mounted on the Schuetzenpanzerwagen (antitankguns and mortars) in mobile commitment give them a unique capability.

Combat elan and boldness, united with lightning-fast power of decision and great maneuverability, characterize the Panzergrenadier.

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

Hi,

Nice pic on me iggi. smile.gif

Well it was standard to do that as a panzergrenadier.

A understand that it´s not in the game ,but it would have been great if it was.

You would just stop the halftrack or move slowly and than one man with a Faust would pop up and fire.

If there was any enemy inf you could maybe suppress them with the MG on the halftrack.

My friend that used them In Squad Leader was very effective with this tactic.

You can´t get everything in a game, but cool it would have been.

Omar.N.Bradley

------------------

You would just stop the halftrack or move slowly and than one man with a Faust would pop up and fire.

If there was any enemy inf you could maybe suppress them with the MG on the halftrack.

Omar.N.Bradley

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really...would you like to PBEM? wink.gif

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

Small arms are one things, rockets and 'fausts are another. Think about backblast in the confines of a steel box. Not only would the other occupants be fried, the shooter would likely be scorched himself.

I would be interested in what the Heeresdienstvorschrift says about firing antitank weapons from halftracks. For game purposes, Green units might be allowed to do it- once.

I was on the assault playing a quick Battle when an enemy squad broke from a fox hole and ran into a nearby woods. It sure would have been something to see if I could have my flame-thrower in the back of a half-track run over there and flame them before the squad had a chance to recover.

Hey folks, got a real question.

Playing the Germans last night I was given a few standard half-tracks (dont recall there name). These half-tracks were all equiped with a MG42 I believe. Now these guys would fire on the enemy but I could not actually specify the target (no target command in the menu). Why was this left-out?

GP

GreasyPig,

It's not left out.

If your HT had a functioning weapon, enough men to man it and any remaining ammo, there is a target command.

If not, then this is a bug, which noone else has encountered. I think it's more probable that one of the three above mentioned prerequisites were missing, don't you? wink.gif

Sten

Sten,

I will recheck tonight. I could have swore I had half-track actively shooting a target and when I tried to re-direct them I didnt see the "target" selection.

Though it could be just me, I'm usually tanked by the time I make it to the PC.

GP

Just because you could do something in ASL does not mean it was a historical practice nor does it mean it was realistic to do so. Great game that it was/is it produced plenty of unrealistic events which for an argumentative bastard like myself made for some exciting 'discussions' with my opponents. The halftrack was a useful multifunction vehicle but it was not an assault vehicle, the level of protection was totally inadequate. Since it appears to be accurately modelled in CM if you use it as such you will suffer the consequences.

------------------

"Pink Floyd, a load of old twaddle"-John Lydon

Hi,

Nice pic on me iggi. smile.gif

Well it was standard to do that as a panzergrenadier.

A understand that it´s not in the game ,but it would have been great if it was.

You can´t get everything in a game, but cool it would have been.

Omar.N.Bradley

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I spent a number of years in a mech inf battalion and it was standard that we could fire whilst mounted but fought on the ground. The carriers(m113a1s) were armed with a 50/30 cal combination which could be selected to fire the 30 only, the 50 only or both guns together. When moving the section machine gunner would stand in either the right or left rear of the cargo hatch with the MG(GPMG M60) facing at either 4 or 10 o clock (If the carrier was left front in formation the gunner would stand left rear of cargo hatch so as to face out, you get the idea)

The guy carrying the M79 or M203(40mm grenade launcher)would occupy the front position on the same side as the MG, the section commander and a scout occupy the two remaining practical standing positions,the remainder of the section sit inside the cargo compartment.

If the poop hits the fan the drill is that as much fire as possible is sent in the direction of the bad guys in the shortest possible time and the carriers reverse into dead ground.The vehicle crew commander cannot fire the carriers MGs when reversing because he has to be look rearwards to direct the driver(the driver has no rear vision in the m113s)

So the short answer is mech inf can fire from their transports in emergency situations but ideally fight on the ground dismounted with the carriers firing in support or as a cutoff or providing flank protection.

I imagine mech inf during ww2 could fire from their vehicle when required but would have fought from the ground for the same reasons we trained to.

Peter