Best book about war

A rumor of war by Philip Caputo is the 2nd best Vietnam War book I've read. The best one has just short stories, like only one page long but I just can't remember the name of that book. This same book maybe the best of all war books I've read.

About WW2, everything that Sven Hassel has written is high on my list. Although it is fictional, Hassel really can create a good athmosphere in his books.

JV

My suggestions:

"A bridge too far" by Cornelius Ryan.

After seeing the film you easily get the impression that most of the fighting was in Arnhem proper. Read the book and get the full story on operation Market-Garden. Very intense.

"Stalingrad" by Anthony Beevor.

Easy-read, comprehensible book covering the German attack on Russia in general, and the fighting in and around Stalingrad in particular.

Beevor has taken many accounts from actual letters, and archives previously closed (iirc). So you really get down "in the dirt", while he still explains the strategic events in a understandable way.

I whole-heartedly recommend this book for anyone with the even remotest interest in WW2.

[This message has been edited by Stefan Fredriksson (edited 10-13-2000).]

Having just finished my degree (in essentially military history) I have to add:

John Keegan: Pretty much anything he wrote for its pure literary quality but especially "In the Face of Battle." He nearly brought tears to my eyes. Especially appliciable for CM is his "Six Armies in Normandy." Not quite as powerful, but definitely inspirational.

Van Creveld: His command studies are a must, and "Supplying War" is a must for any student of logistics.

Richard Overy: "Why the Allies Won" is a classic. Read it, learn it, love it.

Sir Charles Oman: If anyone wants a good basic understanding of warfare from the fall of the Roman Empire in the west until the rise of Louis XIV, start with "The Art of War in the Middle Ages" Vol I and continue through to "The Art of War in the Sixteenth Century."

Just one general comment: Is it just me or do old British guys write better than anyone else?

WWB

"The Wars" was good. "Why the Allies Won." was pretty good. "Rumors of War" was one of the earliest books I read about Vietnam.

I agree that Keegan's "Face of Battle" is a classic. Especially his Agincourt description.

For the medieval times I thought "A Distant Mirror" by Tuchman was outstanding.

For other era's I liked all of Shelby Foote for the American Civil War.

"Too Far From God" is a good account of the US/Mexican war of 1846.

There is also a great book called "The Boer War" (can't recall author) which I have read twice.

Oh, and one of the best books ever about the Zulu war of 1876 is "The Washing of the Spears."

"Napolean's Marshalls" would have been good but I never finished it since it was lost in a fire. Hopefully my wife will honor my xmas wish and get "The Campaigns of Napolean" for me.

I like Michael Doubler's "Closing With the Enemy."

Also on my list are:

"Steel Inferno" about the 2nd Pz div in Normandy. Lots of scenario material.

"Defeat Into Victory" Bill Slim. Good look at British ops in Burma.

"Overlord" by Max Hastings.

"Cross of Iron", "The Thin Red Line" and "The Naked and the Dead" are three of my favorite novels of WWII.

My very favorite novel of WWII is "Sharks and Little Fish." I don't recall who wrote it and I don't have it any more. It is a tremendous tale of a German sailor on a minesweeper and later a U-boat.

There's also "The Killer Angels" by Shaara and the one by his son which covers the final days of the American Civil war.

I'd like to know if anyone has heard of a book I read some time ago. It was about the British retreat down the Malay penninsula. It was a novel and very excellent. Any ideas?

Thought of some others.

"In War's Dark Shadows". About pre-wwI Russia with a great description of the Sino-Soviet war of 1905.

"War in the Shadows". A two volumn set on the history of guerrila and fifth-column warfare. That too was lost in the fire.

"Men In Arms" An interesting look at the history of warfare from the viewpoint of how society effected the conduct of war vs the more traditional view of how war effected society.

anything by Liddel Hart of course.

Giap's book is of course essential to any understanding of Vietnam as well as other small conflicts.

Keegan's History of war I agree. A very interesting viewpoint.

Quentin Reynolds "They Fought for the Skys"

More novels "The Blue Max" "The Goshawk Squadron."

For the Trash heap: "The Canvas Falcons" too many inaccuracies.

"Richtofen and Brown" Thumbs down.

Some book I got at a garage sale "With Patton's Third Army" or something. Written by one of his higher officers. Way too much pontificating about how Patton could have won the war single handed and nobody else could do anything yeah yeah.

I just bough Keegan's "History of Warfare" yesterday, but I needed to get off the Keegan kick so I started C.V. Wedgewood's The Thirty Years War instead. It is very good so far (30 pages in).

There was one other book I forgot to mention: Steven Runciman's "The Fall of Constantinople." A brilliant work which reads like a novel.

Also note that Cornelius Ryan did write several books besides "A Bridge Too Far." Both "The Longest Day" (about the Battle of Britain) and "The Last Battle" are excellent.

WWB

Enemy At The Gates; the Battle for Stalingrad by William Craig. It's been OOP for some years, but try to find a copy. I've read it 20 + times in as many years. Company Commander by Charles Macdonald is very good.

Also Stuka Pilot by Hans Rudel; Panzer Commander by Hans Von Luck; and finally Devil's Guard by Gerorge R. Elford covering the French Foriegn Legion in Indochina (SS in FFL service)

Bob

------------------

illegitimi non carborundum

I liked Stephen Ambrose's "Citizen Soldiers" which is right down CMs alley.

Cornelius Ryans, "A Bridge Too Far", "The Longest Day", and "The Last Battle" are all good too.

BTW wwb_99, "The Longest Day" is about D-Day not the Battle of Britain.

------------------

It wasn't MY company..It was the Armys' or so they told me.

Yes Company Commander is pretty good. I'm trying to find MacDonald's book on the Huertgen forest. Actually any book on that battle would be nice. Time for Trumpets was also good.

I just picked up a paperback copy of Enemy at the Gates last Saturday from a local used bookstore. I too have been looking for that for a long time. I read it many moons ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm trying to find MacDonald's book on the Huertgen forest. Actually any book on that battle would be nice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try doing a search for "A Dark and Bloody Ground" I forget the author's name,but I ordered it from a local bookstore.It is an excellently detailed book on the fighting in the Huertgen forest.

Dick biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ibucephalus:

The best war movie thread seems pretty well covered. What about books? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's so many great books about war out there that it'd be impossible in my opinion to label any one of them as the best. Even the bad ones have something to offer. Some recent non-fiction that I've read and enjoyed..

The Deadly Brotherhood - The American Combat Soldier in World War II by John McManus.

Why The Allies Won by Richard Overy

The Winter War by Eloise Engle and Paananen

Sempi Fi, Mac by Henry Berry

Battling The Elements - Weather and Terrain In the Conduct Of War by Harold Winters

The Fall Of Eben Emael by James Mrazek

Closing With The Enemy by Micheal Doubler

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer

The Long Road Of War by James Johston

Utmost Savagery - The Three Days of Tarawa by Col. Joseph Alexander

The Second World War by John Keegan.

Scorched Earth by Paul Carell

The Wars Of America by Robert Leckie

When The Odds Were Even by Keith Bonn

Atlas Of The Second World War edited by John Keegan

How They Won The War In The Pacific by Edwin Hoyt.

Battle Of Wits - The Complete Story of Codebreaking in World War II by Stephan Budiansky. ( I just picked this one up today but the reviews are good. )

Guadalcanal by Richard Frank

Breakout and The Last Parallel, both by Martin Russ

This Kind Of War by T.R. Fehrenbach

The Guns Of Normandy by George Blackburn

I haven't read too much fiction lately but a few that I recall that were good..

Battle Cry by Leon Uris. (In my opinion the most memorable first line in any book.."They call me Mac.")

Any of the submarine books by Harry Homewood. Final Harbor and O God of Battles come to mind.

Mister Roberts by Thomas Heggen

Once an Eagle by Anton Myrer

Run Silent, Run Deep by Edward Beach

Any of the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell. (Good escape reading-not sure how accurate they are)

Any of the Bolitho books by Alexander Kent. This is really Douglas Reeman. He wrote a a lot of WW II naval fiction too that I heard is good but never read. (Again, good adventurous escape reading)

I just picked up two WWII fictional books by David Robbins. The War of the Rats and The End of War. Can't really comment on them as of yet but Rats seemed to have good reviews.