Hey Matt, will we members have a chance to get our names used in CM2?

How about Lt. Van Atta? It's Dutch, but I believe there was a Dutch and Belgain volunteer division fighting in Russia Can I be a Puma commander? My favorite reece vehicle.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

Hehehe, good ol' Russian names. Can't live with em, can't...well, you can always change them I guess, so you CAN live without them!

And I think "Major Crap" would pretty much fit the basic skill level of your tipical Soviet field commander, don't you? smile.gif

The Commissar,

Proud to have a name that people laugh at *sniff*

wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are missing a famous member of the Dutch Resistance, Captain Van der Crap (I sh-t you not smile.gif). I am sure it means something else in Dutch.

Van der Crap was given one of the highest Dutch awards for his gallantry at Arnhem (seriously -- the guy was a hero).

Hey, there are some cool names on this forum.

I've got no worries though. There has been a Meyer in any wargame i've ever played that had Germans in it. Even Napolionic wink.gif

Hauptmann Meyer at your service. Jawohl biggrin.gif

------------------

'Every attack ends in a defense'. Clausewitz

The name of the Dutch resistance captain was Bestebreurtje(means something like ,best brother in English)

The Belgium and Dutch volunteers were the 23rd SS division Nederland and the 28th division Wallonien.Both were panzergrenadierdivisions.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red Devils:

I read in a post here quite a while back that the names of squad leaders in CM were taken from actual board members right here!

I guess for CM2 your name will have to be German, Slavic, Hungarian, Italian or Finnish. So much for us Irish! biggrin.gif

Good luck for me, my name (Di Folco, as in my username ...) is real Italian !

Aaaah, a Bersaglieri Capitano Di Folco would be a great sight for me (don't forget the feathered helmet !!! biggrin.gif )

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My name's already in CM!!

I had a Lt. Richardson several times.

I suppose there's no chance of fitting that in anywhere in CM2. Ah well. I think I perfer Western front action to East front.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

"Good idea,the SS for instance and some divisions from the regular army had batalions and in some cases regiments with volunteers from many European countries."

now that's silly. With that loophole, you can fit in *any* name from around the world, just because of the mysterious 400 Tibetans, or the chance japanese exchange military who happens to stumble into an east front HQ, or the few odd british/ american volunteers. Just because there were exceptions of such nationalities being in doesn't warrant to include them in CM2, remember how the CM name system works, you would end up with La Fayette or Kai-Shek in every other game.

Reminds me of SquadLeaders p.c. approach of modeling the combat teams with adequate representation of every minority etc.

if your logic was to be followed, BTS could as well save the time to create two national namesets and just create a universal name pool, because russian names fought on the german side (Ostbattailone - eastern troops volunteers) as well as some (very few) german defectors who fought on the russian side.

now we wouldn't want that would we?

------------------

"Say i think u all need to chill out." (GAZ_NZ)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

"Good idea,the SS for instance and some divisions from the regular army had batalions and in some cases regiments with volunteers from many European countries."

now that's silly. With that loophole, you can fit in *any* name from around the world, just because of the mysterious 400 Tibetans, or the chance japanese exchange military who happens to stumble into an east front HQ, or the few odd british/ american volunteers. Just because there were exceptions of such nationalities being in doesn't warrant to include them in CM2, remember how the CM name system works, you would end up with La Fayette or Kai-Shek in every other game.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, come on. What harm would it do? I think it's a great way to honor us members for participating in the forums.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>You are missing a famous member of the Dutch Resistance, Captain Van der Crap (I sh-t you not ). I am sure it means something else in Dutch. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Dutch names are notorious for sounding ridiculous to the Brits, and English names sound ridiculous to the Dutch.

Apparently "Jamie Redknapp" (semi-famous sports star) means something quite rude in Dutch.

------------------

"War is like the cinema. The best seats are at the back... the front is all flicker."

- Monte Cassino by Sven Hassel

Well, a captain Beretta is already there in CM1 with the US (that's me, but no relationship with the weapons firm! biggrin.gif) I could supply BTS with real Alpini's names, since my grandfather was one of them. He was a battalion commander, got two silver medals and kept a war diary which is now a treasured property of my family. Lot of real soldiers names in there... (BTW, his name was Ponzoni, my mother's maiden name).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuka:

I'd settle for no less than "fuhreur" Allan smile.gif

Damn, can't spell it but who gives a fat rat's ass anyway?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fuehrer smile.gif

Actually it is written with two double points above the u but you can also spell it as ue. Not that I give a fat rat's ass.

------------------

Vorwaerts, ihr Waschlappen!

I'm Russian.

If BTS sofware team agree - I can provide BTS with a LOT of pure russian names.

For example: Volkov, Arsentiev, Kolmogorov, Bondarenko, Khorikov, Petrenko, Ostapchuk, Sinev, Yakovlev, Firsov and many many more...

Just write me - dmts@newmail.ru

[This message has been edited by DmTs (edited 10-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by DmTs (edited 10-05-2000).]