The WORST war movie.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A film failing to live up to the book only really matters if you've read the book. Then it really spoils it. It's only natural that if you've read the book, you expect the film to follow it more or less faithfully. Naive I know, but there you are.

That's one reason why Cross of Iron wouldn't make my top five war movies, maybe not even the top ten. I think Peckinpah made a complete arse of it, to be honest, albeit a good-looking one smile.gif. Catch-22 is another example.

Off-topic, does anyone know why nobody ever made a film out of James Webb's Fields of Fire?

Guest SS Peiper

Come on guys the Worst war movie ever has got to be "Steel Tempest". You cant have worst acting then this. The only thing that I can say for it is that its GREAT if you want to check out some Waffen SS uniforms.

SS Peiper

Worst film of all time?

Kelly's Heroes!

[Ducks brickbats]

I mean, really. If its a comedy/war spoof then fine, but damn.

Flower power hippy love children in a 1944 combat zone?.. yeah right.

Supposedly veteran SS Tiger company with no sentries or patrols ? Sure.

One US bullet knocks down 2 germans while a whole german clip will only kick up dust around the heroic, wisecracking US soldiers feet. Seen it before.

I for one would be ******* bricks if I were far behind enemy lines, rather than laying out in the sun catching "some rays,baby"

Just my 2 cents worth so please ignore.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Navare:

Worst ever....

2. a movie that came out in the 70's (i think it was called "The Chase"). Premise of that movie was a Tiger tank (?) in North Africa chasing a damaged P-40 around.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so i'm in suspense...did the tank catch the p-40?

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Armdchair:

The movie "Thin Red Line"(written by director Terence Malick) bears little resemblance to the book "Thin Red Line"(written by Pacific vet James Jones). The following passage is from the book:" What power was it that decided one man should be hit, be killed, instead of another man?...If this were a movie, this would be the end of the show & something would be decided. In a movie or novel they would dramatize or build to the climax of the attack. When the attack came in the film or novel, it would be satisfying. It would decide something. It would have a semblance of meaning & a semblance of an emotion. And immediately after, it would be over. The audience would go home & think about the semblance of meaning & feel the semblance of emotion. Even if the hero got killed, it would make sense. Art, Bell decided, creative art - was ****...here there was no semblance of meaning. And the emotions were so many & so mixed up, that they were indecipherable, could not be untangled. Nothing had been decided, nobody had learned anything. But most important of all, nothing had ended. Even if they had captured the whole ridge, nothing had ended. Because tomorrow, or the day after that, - they would be called upon to do the same thing again - maybe under worse circumstances...It would certainly end sometime, sure, and almost certainly, because of industrial production - end in victory, but that point in time had no connection w/ any individual man engaged now. Some men would survive, but no one individual man could survive. It was a discrepancy in the way of counting. The whole thing was too vast, too complicated, too technological for any one man to count in it. Only collections of men counted, communities of men, only numbers of men... The emotion this created in Bell was not one of sacrifice, resignation, acceptance, & peace. Instead, it was an irritating, chafing emotion of helpless frustration..." This is very different than Malick's musings:" How did evil creep into the world?..." The only sense of Jones' book comes through intermittently, during the firefight scenes, and through the character played by Sean Penn, Sgt. Welsh. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Armdchair... you weren't the script writer for The Thin Red Line were you? smile.gif

Regards

Jim R.

No, I wasn't...*laugh* but I have taken a couple of film courses. Here's a character's response to a bad war movie in James Jones' novel "Whistle"( The character's a recuperating wounded GI ): " He went to a lousy war movie. In it some green young Navy kid, stranded in Bataan, kept letting the spoons fly off hand grenades and counting to three before he threw them, usually just across a coconut log where evil-looking Japanese were shooting point-blank at him. It was so outrageous that finally about halfway through he had to leave. As he walked up the aisle he looked at the faces of the people bathed in the flickering light from the screen as they chewed handfuls of popcorn and watched the fighting with avid eyes, and for a brief insane moment wished he had two or three hand grenades with him, to toss in among them. And see how they liked it."

"Apocalypse Now: Extended: Fans of Francis Ford Coppola's Vietnam war classic "Apocalypse Now" can rejoice according

to the L.A. Times. Editor Walter Murch revealed he's currently working on an extended version of the movie for a limited

thetrical release next year - and when he says extended he means extended, approximately 50 minutes longer. The additions

include "an entire sequence in which Martin Sheen and company stumble onto a French family that has secluded itself on a

ruined plantation. They have dinner and discuss the painful politics of French involvement in Indochina and how it mirrors

the American experience 15 years later. There's even a romantic interlude for Sheen". Murch adds "There's more of Marlon

Brando, touching more directly on politics and the media, when he reads excerpts from Time magazine. Brando is now more

lucid and reasonable, and doesn't look as heavy...It alters your understanding of what happens in the last 15 minutes of the

film. There's also more of Robert Duvall's wacky Col. Kilgore, who's given a more dramatic entrance as well as a funnier and

more emphatic exit. Plus the Playboy bunny sequence has been expanded, with fuel being exchanged for a night with the

bunnies". Thanks to 'Dan'"

-tom w

Originally posted by russellmz:

Enemy at the Gates looked good...until i read entertainment weekly where they mentioned a love scene in a tunnel between the guy and gal while surrounded by sleeping soldiers... W...T...F?

"Enemy At The Gates" is based on a true story (The Russian sniper depicted is a real person and had an affair with a woman in Stalingrad at that time). This might explain the scene in the tunnel.....

Remember: Reality writes the weirdest stories....

RUSSELMZ commented on this so heres to the question u asked.. yes the plane got away hehe.

Originally posted by Navare:

Worst ever....

2. a movie that came out in the 70's (i think it was called "The Chase"). Premise of that movie was a Tiger tank (?) in North Africa chasing a damaged P-40 around.

It wsnt called the chase hahaha its called something else that makes it sound like a huge battle thing ( i saw it just yesterday in vid shop), and its got loyd bridges as the german tank commander.

Also the funniest thing is on the Vid cover is the pic of the plane, of loyd bridges and his tank. these pictures are over the top of

the main pic which shows infantry and tanks from Vietnam. How F^&KED is that?

Rated the worst by myself as well.

Guest MantaRay

The movie was called "Death Race" 1973

Here is what E Online says about it....

Death Race

Category: Action/Adventure

Director: David Lowell Rich

Cast: Eric Braeden, Lloyd Bridges, Christopher Cary, Doug McClure, Roy Thinnes

Running Time: 1 hr 14 mins

Summary:

A Nazi tank chases a crippled American fighter plane across the desert during World War II

I have to find it now hehe.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MantaRay:

The movie was called "Death Race" 1973

Here is what E Online says about it....

Death Race

Category: Action/Adventure

Director: David Lowell Rich

Cast: Eric Braeden, Lloyd Bridges, Christopher Cary, Doug McClure, Roy Thinnes

Running Time: 1 hr 14 mins

Summary:

A Nazi tank chases a crippled American fighter plane across the desert during World War II

I have to find it now hehe.

Ray<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that WAS a war movie, it was without a doubt, the WORST war movie I have ever seen, not to mention it is just a really BAD movie to begin with.

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 10-18-2000).]