Winter Shermans

Guest Lord General MB

Guest Lord General MB

Soldiers,

I'm absalutaly sure that this has come up amilloin times...but I'm lazy and don't want to flip through the thusands of posts on this forum. Anyway, does anyone out there have any plans to make some nice sherman winter textures? Plus... I LOVED the weathered sherman and british tanks!!!! The sutall changes realy add to the game.

BTW: I was flipping through trying to find some posts on winter shermans, when I saw the posts by JOCHEN PEIPER (my that word be banned from the soul of all the land) and I was apould! I wish to congradeulate every single person how apossed him.

Finnaly, for all thoughs people with quetes at the end of there posting how many poeple here have read "Citezen Soielder?"

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

I was just wondering about allied winter graphics myself. I know Moon at http://www.gamesofwar.de/ noted that he was working on some, but that was a while back. I don't know what became of that. So how about it guys... Your kicking but with the new "normal" textures for both sides, but as far as winterized... I think the allies need some representation...

smile.gif

jshandorf said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I don't think I have EVER seen one in any pictures.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's a picture of a winter-camo'd M10. It's from the Tank Museum at Bovington Camp in England. This photo dates from 1991. When I went back in 1997, it had been repainted green. But many other vehicles had also been repainted, so I think they just do this periodically to keep the museum fresh to repeat customers.

Anyway, like Chupacabre says, it appears to be mere whitewash over the green paint.

m10.jpg

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 09-05-2000).]

Guest Lord General MB

Sir,

Kestrl, Simply beutifull! I love the nice "snowed on" like textures. Mabye some more like that. Since as Pointed out in other posts the Alies had very little in the way of camo for there tanks, the snowed on look is great! (lots of white on top, less downbelow....)

------------------

Cheers,

Lord General Mr. Bill,

1st Army

I have seen a few photos of allied AFV's where it appeared that the whitewash had been applied in a camo pattern. But most photos show just solid white. Most German vehicles were probably done the same way. I love the Panther A winter mod that has the regular camo showing through the whitewash. And the "dirty Tiger" in the new Mad Mod pack.

-- Mike Zeares

I'm glad you guys like the textures. They're actually mine. I just recently finished them. The only problem has been finding a way to make them available to everyone. Kestrl, my brother, simply received what you might call a pre-release copy.

Now, to answer a few of your questions regarding them. First, all of the textures are based on whitewash patterns. There was no SOP for winterizing equipment. I did me best to base them all on photographic evidence. The US Sherman has a fairly solid whitewash that can be commonly found in photos. The M10 TD has a late winter, very abused and mostly worn away, whitewash. The M8 Greyhound has a similar scheme, but made to look a bit more dirty but with the overall whitewash pattern still intact. The Stuart tank is depicted with the thinly brushed on whitewash that was often applied non-uniformly with mops, rags, etc. The British Archer has the same effect but with a more purposeful camoflage design. Even the British Sherman with its obvious Camoflage pattern is based on photgraphic evidence. However the inspiration for it actually comes from a US halftrack with a similar scheme. The reason that I used it for the British Sherman is because I wanted to distinguish them somewhat from the American ones. The problem with the Sherman tanks is that they have a LOT of shared textures which means that once you choose a particular paint/camo scheme, most of the variants are forced to look very similar. This was the only way to allow for a small amount of variety while maintaining a consistent look that doesn't end up making some tanks look like an old car with a bunch of mismatched body parts. Naturally, some guess work was required and these are not exact replicas of particular vehicles, but they were done with historical accuracy in mind. I looked for a long time to find photos of ANY British vehicles with winter markings and could find none. I did find a few summer photos of British equipment with obvious camoflage patterns and loosely based the winter camo schemes used on the British equipment on these.

Besides a nearly full set of winterized Allied vehicles for the PC, I have produced a stand alone installer for mac users that gives them all my textures for the Allies as well as a complete set of winterized textures for the Germans. All this work is done. I posted a notice a week or so ago, and got very little response expressing any interest... go figure.

pritzl

Pritzl

Nice work. Actually I really like the snowed on effect, it makes a nice contrast to the winter camos we are seeing on the German vehicles. I'd love to get a copy. Are you releasing them or posting them somewhere? I have a Mac but w/ the MacMod/MCMMM release we can handle straight .bmp's I have kind of wished we had more Allied stuff as it seems so many wnat to customize the German units.

Again go for it and if you want to try it out on a mac, let me know.

JD

smash.gif

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 09-05-2000).]

Gee! I sure wish I had the skill to do some of these MODS you talented guys are cranking out. I loved the dusty and dirty allied stuff and the beat-up Panther A. That new Tiger in the latest MOD pack is great too. That's the realistic stuff.....Keep It Coming! And while I'm on the subject, what about some damage on these textures? The splattered and splashed signatures of molten metal, torn fenders, soot around the muzzel brake, etc. Any chance of seeing some of that in the future?

Pritzl said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm glad you guys like the textures. They're actually mine. I just recently finished them. The only problem has been finding a way to make them available to everyone.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would recommend talking to Madmatt. He seems to be more than happy to make mods available on CMHQ. In fact, I HIGHLY recommend you do this, because I WANT THESE TEXTURES smile.gif. I would have said so when you announced them earlier but I was out of the country.

Your field-applied looks are outstanding here. Reminds me very much of the paintjobs we put on our vehicles in the Gulf War. They got shipped over there wearing the normal Euro-intended green/brown/black cammo pattern and the troops had to paint them sand-color upon arrival. There wasn't much sand paint available and folks naturally treated it as a matter of life and death, so it took mucho stealth or extreme violence to acquire any. Then we had to thin it severely to make it cover all our vehicles.

So the net result was you could see the edges of the underlying cammo blotches, where 2 colors overlapped, as well as thin places and missed spots in the sand paint where the cammo showed through. Also, we just masked over the tactical vehicule markings, so they were still black letters on cammo rectangles surrounded by sand. We painted over reflectors and were rather sloppy on wheel hubs and window frames, so there was a fair amount of sand paint on tires and windshields.

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html