Two Months?

Has it really been about two months since the game came out? I got mine on June 22nd and in that time I've:

Played in 22 PBEM games

With 10 Different Opponents (some of them VERY different ... you know who you are)

Using 9 Canned Scenarios

And 13 DYO Scenarios

Resulting in 8 Wins

and {cough} 7 {sneeze} losses

With 7 games still in progress and 2 more setting up. A trivial enough scorecard no doubt compared to many, but mine own.

HIGHLIGHTS:

* My Jackson nailing that Tiger up on the hill.

* My Sherman traversing PAST the Panther to nail the StuG in the butt and traversing back to the Panther in time to nail it too ... on the last turn of the game.

* Those poor bloody Brit infantry charging up "Cemetary Hill" (my own name for it) and getting gallantly creamed in the process.

* My Pioneer flamers torching two houses just as the Brit infantry occupied them.

Lowlights:

* George and Mark walking all over me in two deep valley defenses.

* Brian killing an entire platoon of American paras in a single turn.

* Bruce using his 8" Naval guns like sniper rifles.

* Jeff showing me how to use StuGs.

* Danno and Rob showing me how to set ambushes.

* Gerry, who set his pillbox up ... 10 meters away from and aiming right where my platoon set up.

* Dell, who's reminding me that 50 cals will murder German light stuff.

* And virtually everything about my game with Andreas.

Damn, I'm having fun biggrin.gif

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Shaw (edited 07-28-2000).]

8" navel guns as sniperfire? Dam! I have been playing some PBEM games and 1 small meta.

In my own games or playing PBEM I dont do so bad, in the meta game....sooner or later the German high command is going to have me shot. I cant seem to get going, making dumbass mistakes. Maybe it's the pressure of wanting not let my team down. The bottom line here I love this game.

sniperscope

Aaah, if only I could say I planned it that way when I took out that platoon of paras. Besides, your highlight move of killing the Stug and Panther basically cancelled out any of your lowlights in that game. frown.gif

Oh yeah, you forgot to mention losing both a MkIV and a Stug to a lowly Stuart all in the space of about five seconds. Ok, Ok, so the MkIV's gun was damaged and the Stuart is now cowering in fear for its life. It's still one of my highlights.

(Sorry Joe to hijack this thread)

Fionn, let me use an analogy. Hypothetically, just assume you know very little about ancient warfare. If I were to give you a game about the battles of Hannibal, you would have a hard time picking it up and would become frustrated and quit. You would pick up the game mechanics (eg, putting the legions in different formations), but you would not have an idea of what effect they should have. Without the basic tactical understandings of troop movements, offensive/defensive weaponry, etc., a highly accurate simulated wargame (as oppose to an arcade-type game) would just be frustating to play.

That's the way I feel about WW2, having not played a single WW2 game in my life (and having read little on its history). I am planning on using CM as a way of getting into this history, but I got to learn the fundamentals of WW2 tactics first (as well as the history of Overlord). If I use the game to do so, it would just render the experience as 'too gamey' for me.

Just my reactions.

Actually Steve, I think you've located the difference between us.

IF I got a game about Hannibal and didn't know anything about his campaigns, strategy, various higlights, weaponry etc I'd make it my business to:

1. Find people who knew what their Hannibal

2. Find books concerning Hannibal and the weapons and tactics at the time ( including accounts of battles).

3. Do internet searches

In short, I'd research it all until I knew as much as anyone whom I could find.

Of course if the game was crap I would throw it away as a bad game BUT if the game was merely crippled because I didn't understand certain things I'd make it my business to understand.

In any case, tactics haven't changed much over the past 3000 years.

Frontages have increased, troop densities decreased, weapons range increased and a few new "delivery systems" have been developed but you still have the division between heavy sperrbrecher units ( elephants or tanks), artillery ( ballistae, trebuchets), all-professional armies vs hi-low mixes of elites and conscripts etc etc.

If you know your Hannibal, Alexander and the tactical environments in which they and their enemies lived you've got the basis for surviving on any modern battlefield.

Thanks Fionn for taking the time, in this thread and the other one.

I understand what you are saying about tactics and I used Hannibal as an extreme example. I'm a Civil War historian so WW2 shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I promise that I will put on my WW2 hat sometime and get into the game and ask questions in this forum. In the meantime, I'll keep reading this forum, as I have been doing everyday in the past 5 weeks. I know CM is a great quality game (that was why I bought it), I like reading about the different experiences (including your great AAR).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

Joe,

I hear you regarding Andreas. He seems to be carving a path through a lot of opponents wink.gif.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is Andreas Germanboy? Is he that good? I'm 0-1 in PBEM, so I'm just curious.

Steve, really, just play it. Why?

1. It's really fun even if you get crushed (although I'd recommend playing the comp to avoid embarassment.)

2. 90% of the tactics are pretty obvious after a few games and should be evident to anyone with even a passing knowledge of military history.

3. The other 10% can't be learned from books but only from playing.

The only 2 things you really need to know I'll tell you right now:

Always use at least half your troops for supression fire and the other half for movement. This seperation can be made by platoon or squad as the situation dictates (often combinations of the 2.)

BE PATIENT! When I lose it's usually because I'm impatient and move out of a good position to "make something happen." Since you like CW I'll give you one name : Sickles.

Finally, I'd suggest you play on the defensive first because after set-up you barely have to give your troops any orders and can spend your time learning the interface and begin your observations of the effects of various weapons in different situations and get a feel for the "toughness" of your units. Also, the AI is a bit weak on attack.

Just trust me and play the damn game right now!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

Is Andreas Germanboy? Is he that good? I'm 0-1 in PBEM, so I'm just curious.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Andreas is Germanboy. I hear the evil little multi-culture boy is way good. I must defeat him, I must! He has impugned a totem.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Clark:

Thanks Fionn for taking the time, in this thread and the other one.

I understand what you are saying about tactics and I used Hannibal as an extreme example. I'm a Civil War historian so WW2 shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I promise that I will put on my WW2 hat sometime and get into the game and ask questions in this forum. In the meantime, I'll keep reading this forum, as I have been doing everyday in the past 5 weeks. I know CM is a great quality game (that was why I bought it), I like reading about the different experiences (including your great AAR).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, I've read your previous posts on this concept with great interest, if some bemusement. It seems to me that you and Fionn are actually on the same wavelength; both of you immediately begin to research. I, too, feel the best way to get your feet wet is to leap in (although not against human opponents...humans are evil and crafty...brrrr). I had a decent (not great) background in WWII history, equipment, and tactics from like...20 some years ago. Right now, I'm playing PBEMs and buying AFVs (armoured fighting vehicles) on the basis of point limits, and shady remembrances, and when I get some of them into a game, I go "What in the name of all the gods is this?! How'm I s'posed to use this thing?" And then I play it, and I learn. Beyond the tutorial scenario, my understanding (haven't actually done this), is that the...I'm sorry, bear with me Grafenwohr(?) scenario included with the game is another kind of training scenario, with commentary/training text from Los, the scenario creator and longtime poster/beta tester here (who's posts I've always enjoyed), that is available at CMHQ (ah, CMHQ...Ohioans and Irish, Irish and Ohioans...could anything be more frightening?). Anyway, read up. Study. But also play. Failures and odd occurences (that is what I call all my mistakes: odd occurences and anomalies...) will help you to understand the intricacies of this game, as well as (strangely enough) helping you to understand some of the things you read about! Enjoy, and, in any case, welcome. Don't hold back, though. Play! I've very seldom found such a great community of opponents.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Steve,

Pleasure. If you ever have a question just drop me a line. I don't mind explaining things to nice, polite people.

Andreas is Germanboy... I don't think I've played him yet but I've heard of him by reputation. Juardis, my advice to you would be to play a few more PBEMs before challenging Andreas wink.gif. Methinks the experience will stand to you when you do get around to playing him.

DrD,

I NEVER use suppression fire. I think its a waste of ammo. Just goes to show you how people can be succesful with wildly varying strategies eh? wink.gif

One other thing.

I STRONGLY suggest reading my AARs and (more importantly) viewing the movies which are now accompanying them.

Watching the movies will give you a good basis for seeing what works and doesn't work AND will show you a few different styles of play.

A funky set of movies from a 6turn PBEM I did will be going up soon. It's entitled " How to lose before starting." wink.gif It's "informative" for newbie PBEMers.

Fionn-- did you get this AAR report on how to lose before the first shot from Juardis in our Prum PBEM? It was over after the first 30 seconds, but I bluffed him into playing 10 rounds (and counting, but auto-surrender likely at the end of our current turn). Juardis now 1-1 (unless WBW enabled troops in the field to order up tac nukes).

------------------

"Two World Wars and One World Cup, do da, do da!"

--British Hooligan, sung to Camptown Races

Guest Madmatt

If you ever have a question just drop me a line. I don't mind explaining things to nice, polite people. wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, How about this.

Why are you such a dofus? wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest Germanboy

Andreas is Germanboy... I don't think I've played him yet but I've heard of him by reputation. Juardis, my advice to you would be to play a few more PBEMs before challenging Andreas wink.gif. Methinks the experience will stand to you when you do get around to playing him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Fionn rightly points out, I am indeed me. And we have not played yet. I feel however obliged to inform you that all this talk of me carving a way through my opponents is bearing only faint resemblance to reality, as e.g. Cory, Erik, Gary T or Ethan can tell you. Wiltz and Elsdorf are places I will never in my life visit, I swear. The plains of Cologne will forever haunt me in my dreams as the graveyard of my armoured cars, obliterated by geriatric old men with sliced Mangoes. It just so happens that those who vanquish me do not participate in the most informative thread on this board, while some who were vanquished do. As Ethan rightly pointed out elsewhere, the guaranteed way of defeating me is giving me profligate amounts of AFVs and putting me on the offensive.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SenileTea:

He has impugned a totem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would not be the same totem that features a hedgehog roughly at the height prefered by 98.5% of all dogs for marking?

------------------

Andreas

You all seem much busier than me! Two games complete (tactical victories both), and one tiny game abandoned and ceded as a defeat.

I'm just warmin' up for CMMC.

EDIT: Oh, and one other abandoned game as I can't get my file through to any of my opponent's four email addresses! frown.gif

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

[This message has been edited by Formerly Babra (edited 08-06-2000).]

I'm in the middle of several PBEM's and have finished one. Elsdorf---My reinforcements got shot up right when they got there (Ouch)

Relieving the Rangers-finding it very tough to attack dug-in veteran troops with unsupported green troops. My reinforcements keep entering in bad spots, like in front of my opponents Shermans.

Quick Battle 1: Playing against a guy who's VERY good, so he says, and he's proving it to me. He told me to give myself and advantage, so I chose high quality troops, not knowing that they costed more until I got to pick my forces. Got a lucky shot on the pillbox that was the centerpiece of my defense and then smoked me up more than LA and is in house to house fighting. I put tons of stuff on my flanks, hoping he would try to flank me, and he heads towards the center... Doesn't look good.

Quick Battle2: Company vs Company in a village. We have obliterated each other, but it looks downhill for me now since I lost my Panther but he still has his Sherman.

Quick Battle3: Company sized meeting engagment on a strange map. (Small, Town, Large hills. It is a town in the middle of a LONG but not wide map, and the hill is VERY steep.) Just a big collision. I am winning now because a very lucky Volksgrenadier chucked a potato masher into a building occupied by an American platoon and a half of another, setting it on fire. They are now all dead or sreaming for their mommies. Maybe I can win this one....

Havermeyer,

Nope. Didn't get it.

Matt,

WTF is a dofus? wink.gif

Andreas,

I hear you loud and clear.. I got a bit carried away on the defense in a recent PBEM and, after killing 11 of Berli's tanks I decided to launch a full-fledged attack. Well, I lost 10 tanks in my counter-attack wink.gif.

Attacking with tanks in the lead is just a death sentence for the crews ( as it should be).

Von Brizee,

Who's the QB1 opponent?

One other thing.

I STRONGLY suggest reading my AARs and (more importantly) viewing the movies which are now accompanying them.

Watching the movies will give you a good basis for seeing what works and doesn't work AND will show you a few different styles of play.

A funky set of movies from a 6turn PBEM I did will be going up soon. It's entitled " How to lose before starting." wink.gif It's "informative" for newbie PBEMers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read the Cav AAR over on the TGN site. "Fionn Kelly vs. Army Major Chris Carnes" I have not D/L'd the attachments to see the scale/size of the area, so with that in mind am impressed with your ability find the room and opportinutes for manuever.

I would love to see the 6 turn AAR you mention, as I suspect I am uniquely gifted with misreading where good starting positions are, and perhaps this might offer me some hope. confused.gif

In 4 PBEM I have a tactical victory after a ceasefire, 1 huge loss, and two underway that could prove interesting.