Pleased to me you, won't you guess my name...

Guest Scott Clinton

geeee, I don't know.

It just sort of seemed to 'fit'.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey - good topic, imo, even if O/T. I've been lurking here for a while (so as not to make a fool outta myself), but I've visited every day for a while, have pre-ordered CM, and have joined the huge CM WW2 campaign (CMMC?), so this is the next step, I guess. smile.gif

In any case, I'll begin my delurk by posting to this disc... My handle, "Shriker" was born way back when I started up a game of Microprose's "F19 Stealth Fighter" and had to pick a call sign for my character. Top Gun was a fav movie at the time, and Tom Cruise's character's name was "Maverick"; a missile's name. So I thought of some different missile names and decided on the "Shrike" missile - an early (1st?) generation anti-radar missile (sort of a "dumb" version of the HARM). Hence "Shriker". <bow> wink.gif

..okay, now I'm ready to post here all the time! <G>

Regards,

-Steve

Guest Thumper

What else would you call someone who stands in front of the crease in a hockey game and deals out (and is dealt out, truth be known) checks? Besides, I look a little like the rabbit from Bambi.....

Guest Gunnerdream

From the title of a righteous Pink Floyd song, "The Gunner's Dream". Can be found on the last "real" Pink Floyd album, "The Final Cut". (Very good lyrics and music)

Gunnerdream...floating down through the clouds...

Short for Teutonic Knights:

German military religious order founded(1190–91) during the siege of Acre in the Third Crusade. It was originally known as the Order of the Knights of the Hospital of St. Mary of the Teutons in Jerusalem. The order was one of nobles, and the knights took the monastic vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.

Ya gotta love those religous military kinda guys. wink.gif Besides it made a great callsign flyin g on the canals of mars playing football in hovercraft.

Teutonic

Well, I have always liked David Bowie's music (from 1969-1999), but, back in First Year at University a guy on my floor kept on playing "Space Oddity" just about every hour of every day. He was nearly banned from Residence for being too loud. The song still goes though my head till this day, kind of like standing too close to a shotgun when it goes off, you hear an ever present ringing. Anyway, the title also seemed to fit for this board.

My other ailias for the other board I was on until I went away, was "Maddog Hoek", taken from the ever hillarious "Ren and Stimpy" show.

Hundminen is german for dog-mine, the dreaded Russian dogs carrying a harness packed with high explosives specially trained to crawl under enemy tanks, thereby detonating the charge. The dogs were (unfortunately for the Russians) often unable to distinguish a MkIV from a T34 (d'oh!)

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Er, um - well, i used to post on other boards under my real name, but soon realised i needed something with a bit more imagination - As an Englishman working in Shanghai China i thought it was appropriate, although i did make an unintentional spelling mistake which turned out to be not that bad as in this context the beggining became "Capt" as in Captain, a genuine error but again appropriate for this board!

CDIC

Guest BigAlMoho

I realise that 6'4" isn't all that tall but it seems like everybody I know calls me "Big Al"... I don't mind, but my pal Al, who is 5'4", HATES being called "Little Al" wink.gif

Al

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gaffertape:

I'm an audio-visual technician, and we use a heck of a lot of the shiny black tape that many refer to erroneously as 'duct tape'(that's the grey stuff dammit). Actually it recently made a starring apperance at the oscars on Robin Williams' mouth.

It has no military application that I know of, although it is holding the roof onto my friends' old VW cabriolet.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duct Tape was invented during WWII. The order was for an adhesive that was water resistant and could be torn from the roll with out a knife or any means of cutting. Read that in a book once...

As for my handle... I used to have a 1981 JEEP Scrambler. I worked for a place that custom cut vinyl. I cut a big sign that I put on my rear window for all to see. I named the Jeep Heavy Bomber.

Heavy= Bigger Jeep than most

Bomber= my real last name is Boembeke

plus the tie in with WWII and the powerfull B-17 and B-29...Heavy Bombers!

------------------

Always Check Your Six!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fiftymicrolitres:

At 1 milligram/ ml, 50 ul is what is required for a standard efficacious dose of LSD25 according to Remington's Pharmaceutical Science, assuming 100% purity.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We alswyas did tabs that the dealersaid was about 100 micagrams... Whatever the hell that means. 2 hits usually did me really well/.

Soma as a username is neither war-related, nor very innovativ smile.gif

It's simple the first two letters of my girlfriends and mine first name:

SOnja (ladies first) + MArtin = SOMA

A soma is also a part of a cell (if I recall my biology lessons correctly).

The other way round it would be more sex-related, and because I really hate pain, I took the more scientific name wink.gif

Years ago I used the nickname "Bud Wiser", but as a non-beer-drinker I thought it didn't fit very well (and the other guys here in germany didn't even know this label).

That's all folks (hmmmm, Porky Pig also would make a fitting username) wink.gif

Soma