Gunfight at the VoT Corral

Fade in: A lone Sherman M4a3 heaves itself over the crest of a hill, the carnage of recent battle left below in the smoldering hell that was once a sleepy valley. The Tank Commander scans the shattered pillbox to his immediate right for signs of movement --- seeing none, he signals his driver to continue forward, down the reverse slope, and on into Germany...

Suddenly --- seemingly appearing as if by majic! --- a Panther is there! Not more than 16m away, and parallel to the Sherman's line of advance! The respective tank commander's eyes meet, and they know survival will be a matter of who's trigger finger is the fastest...

(music from "The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly" plays):

snap001n.jpg

SGT Meade: "What the--! Where the hell--!? Gunner! Panther right! Load HVAP! Now! NOW, dammit!!!"

UNT Alt: "Vo bist? Vas ist--!? Americanischer recht! Recht, verdammen aller zer Holle!"

[This message has been edited by von Lucke (edited 06-01-2000).]

The loader aboard the Sherman hurriedly reaches for the last of the precious tungsten rounds, as the gunner furiously cranks the turret to the right... Despite the incredulous glances of his crew, Sgt Meade stays standing in the commander's hatch, even as he sees the German TC drop from sight and slam his own hatch shut... If he's going to get it, he might as well see it coming... He hears a muffled curse, and looks back to see Cpl Anglin struggling to lower himself (and the heavy tanks of napalm strapped to his back) to the ground, and hopefully, some cover...

snap002n.jpg

Even as Unteroffizier Alt dropped into the shell of the Panther's turret, he reached for the trigger of the negvert-- eh, nammenhei-- er, nuggiethrow--

"Verdammit Heinz, was ist der nammen uf das thingy?" --- "Das ist nahverteidigungswaffe mein herr!" -- "Yah, das!"

...he reached for the anti-personnel grenade launcher mounted in the turret roof. He had seen the flammespritzer carried by the soldat on the back deck of the Sherman, and he did not intend to be cooked to death inside his own panzer...

Sgt Meade saw something swivel on the top of the Panther's turret, followed by a puff of smoke, as a small, dark object arced up almost straight overhead. But it was the burst of heat and light to his immediate rear --- followed instantly by agonized screaming --- that had caused him to finally slam the TC hatch shut. Cpl Anglin hadn't been quick enough in seeking cover, and a 7.92mm round had found him first.

"Dammit man, can't you turn that crank any faster?" The Sherman's tall turret spun slowly to the right...

snap003n.jpg

Unt. Alt pressed his face anxiously into the padding around the commander's periscope, trying to follow the steep arc of the AP grenade --- when suddenly his entire field of vision was filled by an orange fireball! "Verdammen...!" He jerked his head back, slamming it into the turret ventilator. "Verdamnt! The Ami panzer must have been hit by a 'faust from our support platoon!" Unteroffizier Alt couldn't believe his good luck! "Gunner! Scan for new target vorwarts!" --- "Jahvohl! Sherman at 500m forward, 10 degrees recht...".

Unt. Alt leaned into the forward 'scope... But was that something to the right still moving?

Sgt Meade heard a loud spang! as something hit the Sherman's turret on the other side of the armor from where he now crouched. "Betcha glad you come inside now, eh Sarge?"

Meade looked hard at his driver: Cpl Moffit grinned back at him. There was something very wrong with this picture... "Dammit Moffit! What are you doing eye-ballin' me?! Rotate the damn tank right!" Cpl (soon to be Pvt --- if they lived) Moffit spun around in his seat and yanked the control levers in opposite directions as he gunned the engine...

snap004n.jpg

Unteroffizier Alt patted his gunner on the head, "Nice kill!" That Ami panzer had been backing into the trees at about 500m, and his shot had almost taken the turret clean off! Good thing the Americansichers built their tanks so high up off the ground! Now, what had he seen out of the corner of his eye..? Alt shifted to the right-side 'scope...

"Oh, shi-!"

The Sherman's turret gearing squeeled to a halt. "Lined up and in my sights!"

"Fire!"

The heavy tank bucked with the recoil of it's 75mm gun. Sgt Meade's view of the Panther was obscured by the muzzle-flash and powder smoke venting from the barrel. But he didn't need to see the target to know they'd hit it: The loud explosion that had followed almost immediately had told him what he needed to know. At such close range penetration was garaunteed, and the Panther had brewed-up almost instantly.

Now, where had all those infantry squads got off to...?

snap005n.jpg

(Music up and out --- fade to black)

That very exact thing happened to me as the Germans. Wesriedau pulled that trick on me and destroyed my Panther, and pretty much any hopes I had of saving my defense in VoT.

My Panther crew was confused and clearly out of their league. They first targeted one tank, then the other, then the first again, all the while NEVER firing a shot. Yes, the main gun was operational, and yes they were quickly dispatched by a 75mm at close range.

This whole encounter prompted the "My Guys Suck" bug to come to light. I am still waiting on the patch smile.gif

Good to see I'm not the only one affected by it. Albeit seems it's your opponent and not you personally.

Guest Madmatt

MY EYES! Wow, you may want to bump the Gamma down about a hundred notches as you are getting some SERIOUS WASHOUT with those pictures mate!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing