battered panther

panthersnap1.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Gosh golly, thats a real nice texture you got there mister tiger sir, I think I'll send you some cash" -Oddball_E8 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> biggrin.gif

johnS

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 08-29-2000).]

this one isn't hi-res eek.gif

Must give credit to the original model and texture makers of CM. They did a heck of a job and it makes for easier "mod-making". Thanks guys !

-johnS

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 08-29-2000).]

This (And all the many more) make me think CM2 should have multiple textures per vehicle, so we can have a bunch of different looking Panthers. And they should make them assignable and consistent, so we can have Panther 104, Panther 813, etc. in one scenario.

Oh, and great job Tiger, I think I should send you some money. How about a thousand Lire?

------------------

You wouldn't know the dust of Thermopylae if it came up to you, handed you a business card reading "Dust of Thermopylae, 480 B.C.E.", then kicked you in the shins.

-Hakko Ichiu

Hey John,

Man, you are a very talented individual! You are doing some fantastic work. Your attention to detail is excellent. Because of this, I thought I might risk a little suggestion. I don't want to sound unappreciative, so I have been debating making any comments. But I decided to throw this out, not as a criticism, but merely a suggestion. Here goes. I have noticed that the browns you are using may benefit from some slight altering. Namely, to my eye (from years of modelling experience and research) the browns are a little too gray. The most commonly applied brown was a reddish-brown. Because of differences in how it was diluted in the field there was considerable variance, but there was almost always a reddish tint to it. In some cases, it would almost look more red than brown. I could be totally wrong here, and I admit I'm too lazy to dig out my references, but seems like I do remember there being two distinct types of brown used as overspray, one being red-brown, the other being chocolate brown. You may be trying to model the latter, but I believe red-brown was far more common. Perhaps others may be able to correct me on this because I am certainly no expert, but I do believe a slight 'tweak' might get you into the realm of "dead solid perfect." Thanks for all your work!

panthersnap2.jpg

I dunno jgdpzr. I know the historical camo jobs but keep in mind that the variety of patterns was enormous. It all dpends on what the crews had available, what was readily there to put the paint on (mops even), how long it's been between paint jobs, weathering effects, combat effect on it, and most of all what looks "good" while you're texturizing it.

ambushking2.jpg

-johnS

I second what John said, the camo paints they used were delivered in paste form and designed to be cut with thinner, In the field, troops would use deisel,gas or even water, which would vary the shade by a large amount, If you hold to the basic camo style they used, almost any shade is acceptable.

Btw John, keep 'em coming biggrin.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Murphy's law of combat #10, never forget your weapon is made by the lowest bidder

John,

As I stated in my original post, I agree that there was very wide variance in terms of shading because of the way the paint was mixed in the field. However, it is my understanding that by this point in the war, the paste being supplied was red-brown (it was even labeled red-brown, in German of course, IIRC), rather than chocolate brown. I believe chocolate brown was used earlier in the war (for example very early vehicles may have had it oversprayed over the panzer gray). The information that I have seen, as well as the very few color photos and some of the original red brown paint I have seen on a couple of vehicles at the Patton Museum, point to a fairly distinctive reddish tint to the paint. This should be true regardless of how it is diluted.

But, I really don't want to sound like a nitpicker. So, please feel free to totally disregard this. As I say, you do great work. That's what is important.

Tiger Tiger Tiger,

Your latest efforts at this are really looking fantastic, and you keep posting 'em. The one question you never answer is: how the hell do we get them? Or are you just tantalizing everyone here for the fun of it? C'mon man, give over!

Do we need to bombard you with email or what? Share the wealth!

ianc

Yea, Tiger, make it easier for us to get these, too!

Why not call up Madmatt and see if he will afford you the courtesy of featuring them on CMHQ? I'd say the quality of your work is at least the equal of the others available there.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

Yea, Tiger, make it easier for us to get these, too!

Why not call up Madmatt and see if he will afford you the courtesy of featuring them on CMHQ? I'd say the quality of your work is at least the equal of the others available there.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has and they will...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jgdpzr:

John,

A However, it is my understanding that by this point in the war, the paste being supplied was red-brown (it was even labeled red-brown, in German of course, IIRC), rather than chocolate brown. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

German tank base color was changed from Dunkelgrau (dark grey) to Dunkel gelb,(dark yellow) as of Febuary 1943.

The dark yellow base was then usualy but not always comoflauge oversprayed with, Olivegruen (olive green) & Rotbraun, (red brown) by units in the feild. The consistency of the colors was affected by what ever thinning method was used to thin the paint, ie, gasoline, etc.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-31-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jgdpzr:

some of the original red brown paint I have seen on a couple of vehicles at the Patton Museum, point to a fairly distinctive reddish tint to the paint. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's rust!

Great work Tiger...

------------------

Andreas