TCP/IP release update

Guest Big Time Software

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Hotseat, TCP/IP and PBEM are all currently interchangeable. You can load any file and switch the connection type to whatever you want.

So If I understand it right that If my friend comes over and we play Hotseat and do not finish the game we could continue by PBEM?

Question Madmatt to play TCP/IP do you need two CDs or does one PC only need the game CD?

------------------

Boris Balaban

WORK bbalaban@rim.net

HOME b.balaban@home.com

Guest Big Time Software

I have a bunch of answers for you, but first a rather silly typo of mine needs to be corrected smile.gif In my original message I wrote this:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Further, Fortification prices have been reduced so that the Defender can not afford to purchase quite a nice little nest of trouble in Assault games.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The words "can not" should have read "can now". A small difference, eh? biggrin.gif

OK, now for some answers.

The size of the patch is something like 1.6mb.

My understanding, and this could be incorrect, is that you can not use 1.05 saved game files with 1.1.

Once you are playing 1.1 you can switch between the different forms of play (hotseat, PBEM, etc.). So yes, you can start a game one way and finish it another way.

At the moment we do not have "spawning" (two players, one copy of the game) because it is a bit involved and we didn't want to hold up TCP/IP for it. However, if you are playing TCP/IP on a LAN you can play with only one copy. What you do is load CM onto both systems, then you launch one with the CD, remove the CD, and then launch the other using the same CD. Obviously the first machine will have to have a full install. Technically this is a violation of the user agreement, but we have absolutely no problem with people doing this for TCP/IP play.

OK, I think I got all the questions answered smile.gif Oh... except one. See next post.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

The new method we used to get TCP/IP to work is pretty darned good. Not as fast as the first method that had problems, but still quite quick and (more importantly) consistantly accurate. The way it works goes something like this...

After both machines establish a connection, Combat Mission runs a few tests on each system to determine which one is "faster". The most important factor is how well the CPU handles floating point math, so don't be surprised if a 400MHz G4 is selected over a 800MHz P3 (OK, we were initially surprised, but there you go biggrin.gif). The faster machine is determined to be the Host and the other the Guest.

Both people do their plotting stuff at the same time. After both have hit "GO!", or the timer runs out, the Guest sends its data to the Host, which processess the turn, and sends the completed turn information back to the Guest. One cool thing Charles got working here is that the ENTIRE turn is not uploaded, like in PBEM, because certain assumptions can be made about what the other system already knows. For example, the map and other basic data. So only the changes between the previous game state and the new state are sent. This greatly reduces the size of the data being sent back and forth. For a company sized engagement on a medium map you hardly have to wait at all even over a 28.8 connection.

When it is a Movie turn, assuming a Timer is being used, each player has one "free" minute to watch it. After that, the timer starts ticking. If you want to review the movie again, fine, but it chews up your time for plotting orders. Obviously with no timer this pressure does not exist.

There is a simple chat function as well. Now you can mimic The Cesspoolâ„¢ using your very own copy of Combat Mission smile.gif

That is pretty much it. There are, of course, a bunch of other minor features included, but this is the basic jist of how it works.

Thanks for hanging in there while we got it done up right!

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the prompt response and for your approval on the LAn play. I'm sure I speak for most when I say the delay on TCPIP wasnt a big deal, as we know when it is released it will be very stable. I'm sure you guys must be ready for a break before CM2 gets cranking.

I'm glad this semester is almost over I got a feeling I'll be glued to this game again :P

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

Sweeeet! You guys ROCK!

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

Suggestion for the future:

Is there any way to make the minimized CM icon in the system tray blink or something when your clock is running?

It would be nice to be able to minimize the program while you wait for your opponent to finish, and then have the icon let you know when he has finished.

Also, how about the ability to manage the timers separately? So you could have a timer on the orders phase, but either no timer or a different timer on the movie phase? In a large battle, a minute is just not enough time to see what happened that last turn.

Jeff Heidman

I am gathering from the context of the BTS statements and others, that TCP/IP play presently will be two-player only?

If that's so, any plans in the future to support, say, 8-player games?

::::salivating at the prospect of divvying up forces with 3 buddies and taking on another team::::::

Thanks for any clarification. And apologies if this has been covered elsewhere ... keeping up with this forum is a daunting task.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SlowHand:

...any plans in the future to support, say, 8-player games?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTS has given TCP/IP team play a low priority. Maybe in the distant future. frown.gif

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

Great news, guys. smile.gif

Have you fellows implemented yet the audible warning option when your

opponent has finished his turn? This is an extremely useful feature

that will let a player who only had a few orders to issue during a

turn to leave his PC to get a sandwhich (or whatever) while the other

player uses the full time on the turn timer. As soon as the other player

hits the "Go" button a sound alarm would play, letting the player

away from his PC know that the turn is being resolved and the movie

will be playing soon. Of course, the player could turn up his speakers

to make the alarm play as loud as necessary so he could hear it in

the kitchen or some other distant room. I really hope this will be

included, as during a live game like tcp/ip it would be very helpful. smile.gif

Tried and failed to find the post that dealt directly with this but, IIRC, BTS has said there will be no "coded" co-op MP in this iteration of CM...CM2 will be another matter. You can, of course, hot-seat a MP game (I've done it and it's actually a good deal of fun with the right group.)

Thanks immensely, gentlemen, for permission to de facto "spawn" for home LANs. While, in most cases, EULAs seem cynical and abusive to my own untrained eyes, it is no small niggle with me to deal honorably with those you admire.

Regards,

Cyrano

------------------

"Watching others make friends, as a dog makes friends. I mark the manner of these canine courtesies and say, 'Thank God, here comes another enemy'" -- Rostand