Surrender

A quick question regarding captured soldiers, and any help would be appreciated. Or, is this a bug?

Situation… a squad was forward, into a building with an enemy unit. My squad was "captured." The same turn, his unit is eliminated, AND another of my units (an HQ) moves into the same building. However, the unit is still "captured." I would expect them to be "free." What happened? How can I get them back? Is this a bug?

Thanks in advance! smile.gif

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

A quick question regarding captured soldiers, and any help would be appreciated. Or, is this a bug?

AS far as I know there is no provision for captured troops to subsequently be freed. I think once your guys are captured they remain captured for the duration of the scenario / Operation. Although I'll admit that I've never really paid any attention to any units once they were captured. I don't know if they move ( under AI control ) or just stay where they were captured.

Conversely, when I have captured my opponents troops I don't have to " guard " them to prevent them from being freed. Since the Manual doesn't mention the ability to free captured troops, my guess is this is beyond the scope of the game mechanics.

I have freed my own troops before. They are essentially worthless since they have no weapons and can't do anything much but blubber. If there's no enemy around they'll revert. Consider them sitting in a corner with their hands up, too scared to move till it's clear the enemy are gone and it's safe to join your side again biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure that's how CM treats them. Clear out other nearby enemy and they'll revert to your control. At least the enemy doesn't get points for them then.

PeterNZ

------------------

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." George W Bush -Saginaw, Mich.,

Sept. 29, 2000

Pretty much NZ is right on target. Once the troops are captured, all weapons are automatically stripped from them. If you do not guard them with at least 1 unit nearby, then they may revert back to thier own side. They will still be unarmed, so best bet is to withdraw them from combat.

I also noticed that any prisoners you take refuse to move if they do not currently have a LOS to any of your units. What's most irritating IMO is that they won't run... Ah, well, can't be helped.

------------------

Der ver zwei peanuts, valking down der Strasse, and von vas...assaulted! peanut. Ho-ho-ho-ho.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mikeydz:

Once the troops are captured, all weapons are automatically stripped from them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too bad they can't pick up the weapons from the dead guys in the same building, since the weapons are still there. Oh well. smile.gif

Thanks for all the replys! biggrin.gif

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juju:

I also noticed that any prisoners you take refuse to move if they do not currently have a LOS to any of your units. What's most irritating IMO is that they won't run... Ah, well, can't be helped.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What would you do if you saw one of your prisoners running some where? I know what I would do.

------------------

"Nuts!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Croda:

What would you do if you saw one of your prisoners running some where? I know what I would do.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats why I won't let you capture my people, Mr. Mean guy.

------------------

Did someone compare this to the Peng thread? I've apologized for less.

-Anonymous

One of my PBEM opponents just relayed a story today of a situation where he had a HMG overrun and surreneder early within the 6o second time frame. By the end of the movie, his troops had retaken the building. The HMG was repatriated WITH HIS HMG!?!?!. His HMG crew was kneeling with his arms in the air early in the turn, and by the end of the turn he was returning fire on the withdrawing enemy.... cool.gif

BTS has put "captured troops run=YES" on The List. This was scheduled to be in a recent patch but got bumped in favor of things like TCP/IP and the constant foodling with "target stickiness" and the finer points of ambush.

Your troops who've been captured and then freed may be worthless to you, but they're very valuable to your enemy, so get them back if you can.

DjB

All pansies who surrender must be shot. Whenever one of my squads surrenders, I call artillery in on them. The wimps deserve it.

WWB

------------------

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salatamus.