How does the game play?

OK, I was intrigued enough to go ahead and order the game. I am still a little unclear as to how exactly one plays a phase (turn?). I am a veteran of the Talonsoft wargames and understand the mechanics of turn-based wargames, but I want to get clear of how one plans and makes moves, conducts defensive/offensive fires and how they are all executed simulaneously. A step by step description would be helpful, if it's not too much trouble.

I know that with 60000+ posts, all of the answers to every question are here, but it would take more time to search than I have.

Thanks.

I am still a little unclear as to how exactly one plays a phase (turn?).

You played the demo right? How can there be any questions?

You plot your moves.

Hit "go".

The computer plots, calculates, shows you movie.

That's it.

However, to answer your question:

1. CM is, in essence, simultaneous move plot and then simultaneous execution. The AI handles all such things as defensive or opportunity fire, and does it quite well. There will be the odd anomaly of my M18 continuing to track an infantry squad while ignoring a Tiger, but that's pretty rare.

2. In solo play, you plot your turn, hit go and the computer plots its turn and then displays the 60 seconds of execution in 3D. You can replay to your heart's content and from virutally any angle or zoom factor. And I mean ANY zoom, you can see the whole map or zoom in so tight you can see the grain on the stock of a German's Mauser.

3. In PBEM play, to reduce cheating, the sequence is I plot my move, You plot your move, I view the execution, You view the execution and plot your next move and so forth. It seems a little cumbersome but quickly becomes second nature.

4. For the anticipated TCP/IP play, both players will plot simultaneously and will then view the execution simultaneously. There are all sorts of possibilities dealing with timers on the various phases but that's still up in the air.

I hope that answers your question. In short, it plays very well indeed. If you haven't DLed the demo, give it a try while you're waiting for the game.

Joe

------------------

Compliments appreciated, Questions answered, Death Threats reciprocated.

Thanks Joe, that really helps. It is just a priority for me not to download and play the demo. I just want to get a better understanding of this type of gameplay.

Another dumb question. When you say 'plot your turn', what exactly are you plotting? Movements? Firings? Support? All of the above?

Steve, all of the above, the manual that ships with the game is very thorough and there is also a 15 turn tutorial that will lead you through the basics of the game. it is something to see when you hit playback and see the arty you have plotted hit at the ground level observation view, What a sight!!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Clark:

Another dumb question. When you say 'plot your turn', what exactly are you plotting? Movements? Firings? Support? All of the above?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically its "taking a turn" in that its time you issue orders and plot way points and targets for all your units or men or tanks.

then there is simultaneous resolution of your orders and your enemy's orders, (takes about a minute to "crunch" the turn) then each side gets a chance to watch the movie for one minute which is the result of the simultaneous execution of the orders issued to ALL the units, yours and your enemy's.

the system works VERY well..

you should try it.

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand now, thank you all. I just got on this forum yesterday, so forgive my ignorance. The reason for my specific questions is that I would not be interested in this game if it played like Rainbow 6 or one of those stupid RTS games. For my wargaming experience, I am looking for a more exciting alternative to moving hundreds of units around a hex map. I believe I have found that alternative.

I understand now, thank you all. I just got on this forum yesterday, so forgive my ignorance. The reason for my specific questions is that I would not be interested in this game if it played like Rainbow 6 or one of those stupid RTS games. For my wargaming experience, I am looking for a more exciting alternative to moving hundreds of units around a hex map. I believe I have found that alternative.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have. And much more as well.

------------------

Vae victis.

Naaah. Just a historian (Civil War and Revolutionary War primarily), software manager and long, long time computer gamer living in Colorado. Talking about addictive, nothing can come close to Civilization II which I have been playing every month for a long time now.

[This message has been edited by Steve Clark (edited 06-21-2000).]

I love talking about this game so I'll add a couple of things.

1. You plot movement during the orders phase, including waypoints. During the live action phase your units carry out the order after a 10 second command delay. If you plot a long move they may not finish it in 60 seconds, so it will con't in the next turn unless you cancel or modify it in the next orders phase. If a move is continued there is no further command delay but if you cancel a move in progress and make a new one there is.

2. You can select targets during the order phase for all your units. If the firing unit is a tank it even asks you if you'd like to use the main gun or just the MG's.

3. What really makes the system work is that during the live action the AI modifies your orders as circumstances dictate. For instance, if you tell a tank to target infantry 300 meters away and then during the action phase an enemy tanks comes out from behind a building 100 meters away your tank will switch targets. You can also NOT give a unit any target orders and during the action phase it will pick its own target (unless you tell it to hide, then it won't fire until something is very close.)

4. You can give orders in such a way as to influence this AI. For example, a regular move order allows troops to look for and fire at targets, so during the action phase your men might stop and fire if they see the enemy. If you don't want this you give them a fast move order in which case the AI will not stop them to shoot unless a target is very threatening.

5. Although it sounds like you don't do much in the live action phase this is not true as you spend ALOT of time watching the movie from different angles and points of view and not just for the graphics either. For example one of your tanks may suddenly blow up half way through a turn. Watch it again, no shell! So now you have to figure out where that hidden (unspotted) AT gun is so you watch 10 more times trying to figure out where a shot might have come from.

6. Finally, both sides orders are executed simultaneously which is also a great deal. So for example if your squad is behind a hedgerow and you order it to cross the field and I give the same order to my squad on the other side then in the action phase you'll see both squads start crossing the field (and then they'll see each other and start shooting).

Believe me, it's by far the best system ever and combines all the pleasures of turn-based without any of the realism problems inherent to that system. The live action phase blows real-time games away! It's so awesome to watch the tracers fly, the shells explode, tanks rotating their turrets, etc.

The best part is my wife called and my copy is waiting for me at home!!!!!

> Talking about addictive, nothing can come > close to Civilization II which I have been > playing every month for a long time now.

Welcome aboard Steve,

Nothing against Mr. Meier's masterpiece...but, yes CM comes close and might outdo it depending on what you like in a game.

p.

Naaah. Just a historian (Civil War and Revolutionary War primarily), software manager and long, long time computer gamer living in Colorado. Talking about addictive, nothing can come close to Civilization II which I have been playing every month for a long time now.

[This message has been edited by Steve Clark (edited 06-21-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve.. as an expat Yank now in Sydney with a keen interest in civil war (also SMG/SMA)and relatively new to CM.. would be happy to have you on my icq/pbem list for future matches. ICQ # is 2174268.

Regards, Mick