Voodoo 2 and Combat Mission

Guest Stuurm

Guest Stuurm

Hey, what gives?

The new smoke looks poxy with my 2 SLI linked

Diamond Monster II 12 meg Voodoo2 cards...

The generic smoke looks like vibrating cotton wool. A soft and cuddly battlefield.

Great.

And the objective flags are a joke...they are sometimes transparent and have weird colours.

Methinks this is something that MUST be addressed in the patch.

Yep, it happens to my single V2 card. I think it is a problem with V2 card in general. I have to disable the V2 driver and force CM to use the GeForce card.

Griffin @ work.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

It is not a fixable problem.

Charles cursed over this back in november when we noticed it. But there is a way around it.

Delete your prefs-file.

Start CM.

When CM asks 'Do you see this?' don't click anything if the box says Voodoo2. After a few seconds, the box disappears and CM assumes that you don't have/don' want to use Voodoo2.

It will be a serious framerate hit, but it's ok, cause the smoke looks really cool.

Sten

Guest Stuurm

Glad I'm not alone.

Is the smoke problem being adressed?

It has gotten to the point of being embarrassing! I know this is an extreme case, but I was showing a wargaming pal who is not online the virtues of the demo. He was very impressed until the smoke was popped.

He then laughed.

He also pointed out that the dark square-ish edges of the smoke graphic looked like squadrons of black stealth bombers taking off. Or batman's wings.

I cannot play the game without thinking that now!

My poor panzerfaust team will be taking casualties from the infantry supporting the Shermans because I refuse to pop smoke! The whole vista of the battle is damaged...

Surely the staff behind Combat Mission can work this one out. The Voodoo2 still has life in it! That is why I bought two. I get 16 meg out of my setup.

Guest Stuurm

"It is not a fixable problem."

Can this be explained please?

I am upset if it is true. When I pre-ordered, it was on the basis that I thought the Beta demo looked good and ran well on my system.

It strikes me as odd that the Gold demo has more problems than the Beta demo...

I thought that it was supposed to be the other way around?

Sorry. I forgot that the problem was new to you.

There are two smoke graphics. You can switch between the two whenever you like.

One of the graphics is sprite-based and NOT AT ALL as good looking as the other, but it works on all systems.

The other is polygon-based and looks absolutely fabulous on every system I've seen except on those that utilizes Voodoo2.

There is nothing BTS can do about it, apparently the problem lies in how DirectX interfaces against the Voodoo2 card. Look at my previous post to see how to work around the problem.

The problem is non-fixable in the sense that you simply can not get the good smoke graphics on a Voodoo2 card. All other cards work fine.

Accept the blockish smoke, use the not-so-good-looking smoke, use the workaround or get a new 3D-card.

I've been looking at the blockish smoke since january. Not a day goes by when I don't curse myself for not upgrading my 3D-card.

Hope this helps,

Sten

Stuurm:

Well, I think its a tad hasty to say that the Gold Demo has more problems than the beta. The Beta didn't actually GIVE an option for high quality smoke FX. To get the same smoke as the Beta, hit Ctrl-I to toggle the different levels of smoke quality. I have the same Voodoo 2 issues, and having to use the 'fast and compatible' smoke is a small price to pay for CM: The wargame of all wargames.

GAFF

Lillyman:

The Gold Demo has translucent smoke (Ctrl-I to toggle), but NOT the cool reddish explosions we've seen lately at CMHQ. My understanding is that those explosions will be part of the 1.01 patch which will be available just after the game is released. This patch will not work on the demo.

GAFF

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Damn, there's that little trooper that got away! And looks like he brought a buddy with him. eek.gif

Fellas, fellas, fellas. How many times do we have to say the same thing?? Voodoo 2 cards are so outdated and have had many other problems with other games for the same reason.

The fact is that Voodoo 2 cards are barely Second Generation 3D accelerators.

If you all with Voodoo cards would just spend a little money to get a better card, you wouldn't be complaining. And one tip is to just not scrounge up enough to buy a slightly better card, but to spend enough to get you at least near the top of the line. The TNT2's work great. Great image quality, full transparent smoke and buildings.

My first 3D accelerator was a cheap 8MB Intel 740 card. I knew its features weren't for the long term, so I did some research to find the best card for the money at the time and I found the 32MB Diamond Viper 770 TNT2 Ultra. In fact, a lot of member on this board use them and love them. I payed about $200 for it 6 or so months ago. I'm sure it's much cheaper now. If you can even find one.

------------------

Finally........Maximus...has come back.....to the Forum!!!

Does anyone know how well the voodoo banshee works on CM; is it any better then the voodoo 2? I just want to know because I have a v2 and a banshee, but I still haven't had the chance to download the gold demo yet and I really want to know whether the banshee is up to it or not. (don't ask it's a complicted story why I haven't done so yet).

[This message has been edited by Owen (edited 06-13-2000).]

Actually, the Banshee comes after the V2, but before the V3. However, in design and features it is closer to the V2 than the V3, and generally the only difference between it and the V2 is that it runs just slightly faster than two V2 cards in SLI mode.

IOW, a Banshee will have the same problems displaying smoke as the V2. Only V3's and up will properly display smoke. Sorry.

------------------

Formerly known as not THE Charles from BTS

i have the Banshee and it works fine with the smoke ,so i would try the banshee over the voodoo 2 .only thing i have had a prob with is when i start the demo all i get is a blank black screen with the music .i have to hit the Esc button to send the game to the tool bar and then click on it and then the game is ready to go .dont know what the prob is .my banshee runs the demos very nicely but soon as the bigger maps come im not sure how it will handle them .may have to upgrade to the 32 meg TNT.

cheers hope this helps .

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Fellas, fellas, fellas. How many times do we have to say the same thing?? Voodoo 2 cards are so outdated and have had many other problems with other games for the same reason.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I've not had any problems at all with my Canopus Pure 3D II cards, but I don't doubt that people have issues.

The fact is that Voodoo 2 cards are barely Second Generation 3D accelerators.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering new generation video cards roll out about every 6-8 months, that not really saying much.

If you all with Voodoo cards would just spend a little money to get a better card, you wouldn't be complaining.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, everyone running Falcon 4.0 feels the exact opposite about Voodoo cards since it runs much better on one of those. But it was optimized for Glide I believe so I guess it all boils down to what game you want to run though. But having a secondary Voodoo card along side your primary 3d card is actually a good idea to cover the widest range of games.

And one tip is to just not scrounge up enough to buy a slightly better card, but to spend enough to get you at least near the top of the line. The TNT2's work great. Great image quality, full transparent smoke and buildings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is very good advice. At the time of your purchase, you should never skimp on the video card if you have any intentions of running games on your pc.

I said the flag problem had been fixed. I didn't say the smoke had been

fixed. Might not be any way to fix the smoke, not that I care because

I think the dark oily look to the fast smoke looks better in many ways. smile.gif

Guest Stuurm

Thanks everybody for the comments.

I guess I'm stuck with the 'cuddly' battlefield. (see my earlier post)

Ironic that Falcon 4 was mentioned - I have no problems there.

I own a lot of recent games...and this is the first Voodoo 2 related issue I've found!

Ah well.

I'll put up with it. I'm not going to shell out for a new card for just one game.

And it looks like it will be gem of a game...when it gets to me here in Sydney! (reckon I'll be playing it by the Olympics???) :)

On the Banshee question:

I have a banshee card and the game runs fine except the high quality smoke is just a larger version of the low quality smoke and no transparant buildings. I'm hoping for fathers day I'll get a video card upgrade smile.gif I had to check compatability with AMD so it looks like a TNT2 ultra will do the trick...I've seen them on the net for around $150-180.

btw, I don't have the opening screen problem that was mentioned. the game works great just can't get the extra eyecandy.

------------------

"It's a hardball world son. We've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over."