Computer Squad Leader screenshots

Yep, those boxes around the soldier made me think..'soldiers at war'. I can't believe Hasbro is going to try this on us. Using the Squad leader name to pass us the latest patch for SAW. Maybe it's not true, but I doubt it.

Hey !!! I always liked SAW smile.gif

But serious, for a game arriving in 2000 the grpahics could be better. Maybe the animations are great though. Although CM will beat the crap out of everything when talking about wargames, i always look back (and even play) the golden oldies like:

- SAW

- Warhammer

- The X-com series

I don't know why, somehow they can always keep me glued to my seat.

If SL is going to be like X-Com but with better graphics i might even give it a try smile.gif

Hasbro had their chance to have CM. They blew it big time. As far as I can tell CM has just about everything we want. Hasbro's SL will have background info on the men. So what? Who Cares? Letters from home? Give me a break. Also they are not going to include certain types of squads for some reason I can't remember right now. I do remember my re-action (are they kidding??). CM is going to blow EVERY OTHER LAND BASED WARGAME RIGHT OUT OF THE WATER. A new standard is being set.

sniperscope

Sniperscope: they are leaving out SS troops and the like to make the game more family-friendly...

<must - keep - straight - face>

For the record, I liked Soldiers at War and played it a lot, as well. Some of the most intense and fun moments in my memory playing a 4-player TCP/IP session... but by calling it Squad Leader they are opening themselves up for so much trouble, oh boy...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moon:

Sniperscope: they are leaving out SS troops and the like to make the game more family-friendly...

<must - keep - straight - face>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What exactly is that? Family friendly? Does it mean my mom and sister or even my granny can join in the fun too??

Gosh, I bet they'd really like that (NOT!). wink.gif

BTW, the "mustkeepstraightface' bit wasn't visible on the page before I replied to this post. ???

------------------

I came, I saw, and I tripped and fell

Why doesn't Habro just fess up and say they've created Soldiers at War 2? Instead of making a mockery of Squad Leader of which CM is actually the real deal, but better. smile.gif

Well after Hasbro's muck-up of Gunship!, and not to mention the cancellation of M1 Tank Platoon!, they sure haven't got a clue. rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 06-02-2000).]

Gawd....I have seen the cheese and it's name is Squad Leader. It is stinky cheese too.

This disgusts me to no end. Nothing but bastardization for profit. How do those people sleep?

And why couldn't they have named it something else? Simple. GREED, pure and simple.

NNJ

Moon: I played SOW, and I enjoyed it. But for me, CM is my squad leader. This game has caused me to put all my other wargames away.....for good. However, will I get SL? Yes I think I will. One one one house to house fighting is something I love. Hopefully, someone will crack the code and make the right units for us.

sniperscope

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Well after Hasbro's muck-up of Gunship!, and not to mention the cancellation of M1 Tank Platoon!, they sure haven't got a clue. rolleyes.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only do they not have a clue, but they lost me as a customer. No more Atari, Microprose, Hasbro, Wizards of the Coast products for me. Ever! They dissed me one too many times and I refuse to line their coffers any more. I probably would've bought SL too since it's based on the X-Com engine. No mas! I'll pledge allegiance to Big Time Software. Who's with me?!?! smile.gif

------------------

Jeff Abbott

After seeing Hasbro gut Avalon Hill like a fish and get out of the flight sim business by firing all the people on Falcon 4.0, it's only a matter of time before they cave to the Mad Moms and destroy ADD. mad.gif

Unless they choke up all the rights to the great games they swallowed, the greedy little bastards won't get any more business from me either. frown.gif

Well, somebody (don't know who or when) said something about CM along the lines of "wargaming will never be the same again."

So c'mon, let's face the facts.

------------------

I came, I saw, and I tripped and fell

I have to agree with the gang- Whats hasbro smoking?

Hell x-com at least has upgraded there graphics and gameplay. (humm must break out of the arcive, Wonder how that will play on my p2450 smile.gif )

But it really dosnt look that good- Terain looks like SAW, the units look like a suped up SAW hell the interface is SAW.

They better scrap this idea before it bites them.

Hasbro once again cannibalizes on a brand. This time it's SL, one of the most famous board consims around!

SaW from Random had potential, but the LOS computation was this bad, that I gave it up. I hope one day a AMBUSH! (still my fav solo wargame around) or SNIPER game (where were you SPI, when we needed you most?) will hit my hard disk, i.e. single soldiers vs. single soldiers. 101 in Normandy is the closest, but it has it's faults.

Thanks BTS for not going mainstream! wink.gif

Fred