While You Wait for CM

While you're waiting for this lovely lady to make her debut, you might want to check out the new SPWAW. I wanted to pass this excerpt from the manual on a couple of the new features never seen before in an SP game.

It will be available Monday, May 8th

==========

Commandos, Gliders, and Air Drops

Three more new features found only in Steel Panthers World at War make their debut. They are Commandos (Special Forces), Gliders, and Airdrops. When you now play scenarios or campaigns, these features may be included, depending on the scenario.

All three features work basically the same way. If the scenario includes gliders or airdrops, then as the battle begins, prior to turn one, gliders will come in and land. These features work in the same way as pre-game artillery barrages or air attacks. If it is an airdrop, the transport aircraft will fly across the screen, dropping their human cargo in or near the designated drop zones.

Weather and enemy opposition can affect where these units will land. In some cases, they may continue off the map. If that occurs, these units are considered to have been dropped or to have landed out of the area of battle for this scenario. They will be unavailable.

If a glider hits a tree or a building, it will crash and transported casualties will occur. All landing units will be in varying states of suppression. This is determined by their basic morale and skill values as well as just how close an enemy unit might be to them. Thus they may be ready for battle, or it may take a turn or two for them to become oriented and get down to business.

Commandos will appear at varying turns, usually on the enemy’s side of the map. They are Special Forces and have special skills at demolition tasks. The scenario designer has predetermined their hex of entry and mention of their presence should be in the introductory text that accompanies the scenario.

These are marvelous new additions to the game. They enhance greatly the realism of the Steel Panthers series. You will really enjoy watching parachutes blossom as the transport aircraft stream across the map.

http://spwaw.thegamers.net

Guest tom w

Thanks Bill

I plan to be right on top of that

First thing Monday Morning....

(The 200 meg download from Hell)

I will be checking out those gliders and the paradrops...

-tom w

Sure thing Bill ! I'm glad that I don't need my old copy of SP3 to play it. Hopefully the new version will work in Win2000 pro. The new higher resolution is very appreciated.

Peter

[This message has been edited by risc (edited 05-05-2000).]

For all of you with normal phone connections, I suggest starting to dl

that the second it becomes available because it will likely take

the vast majority of an entire day to dl it. smile.gif

Thanks for the update Bill!

I, for one, am really looking forward to this, just wish you could have gotten it out BEFORE the weekend! wink.gif

Thanks for the effort, cant wait to get my hands on it...

Scott L.

+++++++++

If I'd have know what was going to happen, I would have been a plumber.

-A Einstein

You speak from ignorance, Killmore. Evidently you have not visited my site. I have an entire section devoted to Combat Mission and have fully supported it for five months now with articles, AARs, graphics and anything else I can do with permission of BTS. So look before you leap, my friend.

Why not go and check it out under Boots and Tracks?

http://wbr.thegamers.net

Plus we have the great site from Madmatt. So yes, we do support, advertise and promote CM.

Steve, you want to verify that for Killmore?

I see where your name comes from.

------------------

Wild Bill

Wild Bill's Raiders

Director of Scenario Design,

The Gamers Net

billw@thegamers.net

http://wbr.thegamers.net

Thanks for letting the CM gaming community know about SPW@W. Many of us will be playing both games. Your record of service to the wargamers is well known. The great scen you are contributing to CM will be testimony to your love of wargaming and wargamers.

Suggestion for W.B. Wilder:

Wouldn't the igo ugo system have been better if you only allowed each of your units to move one hex at a time.

Example. Say you have three units, A,B and C.

Each unit can move say 4 hexes per turn

in classX terrain.

As it stands now, correct me if I'm wrong, you can move unit A up to it's movement allowence of 4 hexes then do the same for B and C in turn.

I'm suggesting to only allow A to move one hex, then B moves one hex then C moves one hex then the cycle is repeated another 3 times to give you the total of 4 hex max movement for the turn.

I know that moving your units in this fashion is possible now in SP. I'm saying to make it mandatory. In otherwords you can't move A two hexes, then move B three hexes. You must move each unit one hex until all units are moved one hex then you can return to unit A and move it one hex. You repeat the cycle unitil no movement points are left.

In this way no one unit can drive too far forward thus getting info on the enemy without having at least a porportional committment to time as the other units. As it stands now, unit A can gain too much info while unit B 'stands' in time. Unit B is not subjected to any adverse effect of being 'still' while info is gained by unit A.

If, as you are cycling between your units in your turn, you don't want to move unit C, unit C will lose x movementpoints. Unit C can still move in that turn when the cycle returns to it if it still has movement points. In this way, C paid a penalty for not moving as it should be.C gave up it's chance to maniulate time with energy to cause a displacement in it's position. Losing a few movement points reflects this.

To help a player keep track of how many movement points are left for each unit, you simply add a 1/4,2/4,3/4,4/4 indicator on the counter.Perhaps add a green dot verses a red dot to help attract the players eye to units that still have movement points remaining.

[This message has been edited by iggi (edited 05-07-2000).]

Guest mch

(knocking on screen)

HELLO????

WILD BILL???

YOU STILL THERE???

any CD release of SPWAW?(magazine,etc...)

that download is probably inaccessable to

me right now...connection too bad.

------------------

Horrido!

michael

Guest tom w

OK

Well its Monday May 8th

and I'm looking for SP W@W

Is it available for download?

I'm now at work

sitting at the end of a T1

connection and the bandwidth

is not being used by anyone

else, most others are away.

so where is that 200 meg SP W@W

download?

thanks

-tom w

I was reading the forum at matrix games for SP-W@W and they made it sound like it would be late afternoon-early evening (possibly eastcoast time-USA?). So it probably will be a few more hours yet smile.gif

Guest tom w

sounds goods to me thanks for the update

I guess we'll just have to wait, where exactly, did you read the info about the late afternoon availability/eta?

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by przy:

I was reading the forum at matrix games for SP-W@W and they made it sound like it would be late afternoon-early evening (possibly eastcoast time-USA?). So it probably will be a few more hours yet smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tom w, Here is a link to the Steel Panthers site I was talking about http://www.matrixgames.com/spwaw/whatsnew.asp

Go to the forum and check out the topic, "are we there yet"

"Administrator Paul Vebber Wrote":

----

Hold your horses! We have 23 hours and 50 odd minutes and will still be ontime!

The final production checks, last minute "where the heck is...?" and final test runs take some time.

My crystal ball say we are probably talking Afternoon or Early Evening before the download site will open...

I know a lot of you are anxious, but assume its going to be a few days before you get it and your blood pressure will stay low :)

----

Guest tom w

smile.gif

thanks

At least he seems to have a sense of humour.

It may by the sounds of that be 11:59 pm tonight, if he''s talking about a 24 hour

window to be "on time" in....

oh well

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by przy:

"Administrator Paul Vebber Wrote":

----

Hold your horses! We have 23 hours and 50 odd minutes and will still be ontime!

----<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got it and it looks OK for now... ;) The docs do mention that it can be played at 640x480 or 800x600, but they aren't kind enough to mention how to set this. How on earth does one actually accomplish this?

Ian