Official Announcement

Guest Big Time Software

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoooooorrrayyyyyyyyyyy for us all!!!

Congrats BTS, it must feel great to have most of this great accomplishment completed. I'm looking forward more than ever now to the actual game.

The movie and related graphics of the game look great! :)

Out of curiousity, what items from "the list" made it into the game? Also, of great importance to myself and my buddy I'll be playing most of the time with here locally, did the direct connect 2 player version of the game via the internet make it into the initial release, or will it come in a later patch?

Thanks a million,

Mike D

aka Mikester

[This message has been edited by Mike D (edited 03-28-2000).]

Way to go!! Best news, and intro, we could hope for!! Thanks.

By the way, someone suggested 'kill rings' around tank barrels some time ago. Well, they're there allright (on the two Tigers about halfway through the movie). Another fine example that BTS is really listening to gamers!

Initiate Countdown Sequence y'all!!

Juju

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Great news Steve! Late May sounds good, but how about holding release a little bit to release on June 6th?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Satanic!!!!

But seriously. When I grow up I want to be a programmer, or a catapillar. I love you Steve and Charles. smile.gif

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

I'd rather play on June 6th, by way of commemoration, than be doing a massive download or pulling guard duty by the mailbox confused.gif .

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>When will we release the Gold Demo? Not until we have sent the Gold Master (the final full version) off to be duplicated some time in May. This will mean the Gold Demo will be out and available for roughly 2-3 weeks before we actually start shipping.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest Big Time Software

Mike,

Lots of The List managed to make it in, but we didn't even try to put in Internet support. It was the choice between polishing the stuff already in there of doing net support. Or delaying the game until mid summer smile.gif The obvious choice was to stick with 'net support in a patch.

The only other major feature to *not* make it into the Final is replayable movies saved out seperately. Yeah, I know, bummer. But the changes required mucking with the core file system and that could have caused us a lot of unanticipated problems which would have further delayed the release.

These two features are the two biggies that will be patched in as soon as humanly possible.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Just to be absolutely clear, we plan to ship (not master, but ship to customers) the game in late May. The gold demo will come out a week or two before this.

Charles

As for "holding until June 6th", I've been saying for some time whenever the release date came up that there was a reason it was called "Beyond Overlord" wink.gif Looks like I was within a couple of weeks. eek.gif

As for the intro -- it's good, I just wish that the audio included some in-game sounds (esp. incoming artillery), and I think it would've been easier to follow if there had been more "continuity" (or at least fades between unrelated scenes). I was still discovering new things on my fifth or sixth viewing, although I did notice there were some things notably absent (e.g., air support). I didn't expect to see everything in the intro -- I'm just saying I noticed those things weren't there.

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>some things notably absent (e.g., air support)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who do you think that Wirbelwind is shooting at? wink.gif

Charles

Alright !!!

Time to clean up my MG 42....hmmmm maybe I should change the oil and check the ABS and airbag systems on my Tiger too, you never know once we get rolling nothing will stop us, there won't be time for maintenance.

Peter

Guest Big Time Software

Scott,

The final, full version will be out the door by the end of May (if goes right, of course smile.gif. Why aren't we releasing the Gold Demo sooner? Because we have zero time to support it until the Gold Master goes out the door. Once we get the Gold Master out the door then we will have plenty of time to spend supporting it. The lesson with the Beta Demo for us was... don't plan on getting *any* work done for at least a week, perhaps two. That means pushing the final back into June...

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ol' Blood & Guts:

They trash Force Commander for having "dated graphics" only because they don't have a unnecessarily high polygon count.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just for the record, my brother picked up Force Commander a few days ago, and I thought the graphics were just fine. Obviously not in a league strategy-wise with CM, but as far as RTS titles go, it was just fine... definitely not deserving of the nasty reviews it's been getting from all the "experts."

And now that I'm posting, let me put in my two cents and say thanks again to Steve and Charles for producing this most excellent of games. I keep watching and watching the trailer... over and over again... simply in awe. I really hope this game catches on and gets you guys the recognition and awards you deserve. smile.gif

I must say the infantry anims look much more natural and realistic looking now biggrin.gif

BTS how did you go about doing these movies?

I like to make a few of my own

but everything I've tried has ended it pretty bad - and what sort of file compression?

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! :P

Guest -panzershreck-

smile.gif

*Hug* *Hug* *Hug* *Hug* *Hug*

*Hug* *Hug* *Hug* *Hug* *Hug* *Hug*

*Hug* *Hug* *Hug* *Hug* *Hug*

*Hug**Hug**Hug* *Hug* *Hug* *Hug*

*Hug**Hug**Hug* *Hug* *Hug* *Hug* *Hug**Hug*

*Hug* *Hug* *Hug* *Hug*

Most excellent news biggrin.gif

Having watched the game grow and change since it was supposed to be a computer squad leader, I am extreemely happy to see it's impending release and am also very happy for Steve and Charles. Soon you guys will be able to have some leisure time, hopefully on us smile.gif

Congrats Steve, Charles, et al. CM has definitely been worth waiting for and I hope you guys are deservedly rewarded for your labors.

I'd suggest to whoever is compiling the FAQ that they put the release date at the top of the list... in big, bold letters that a blind person could see. wink.gif

On my first viewing of the intro movie I was quickly taken with the impression that I was watching a "South Park" episode as the infantry marched into the camera. "Aahhhh... we're being invaded by Canada !" biggrin.gif

(OK, I watch too much TV and it's addled my brain).

I just got busted watching the trailer here at work (audio set too high, damn). Fortunately it was by a "friendly", and I think I just sold another copy. I've been trying to get him to fire up the demo for weeks, and this knocked his eyes out. eek.gif