Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Aircraft Targeting / LOS weirdness

Playing "Rollbahn D" the Germans are attacked by aircraft in Mission 7.  However, while the aircraft have no problem attacking tanks and dismounted infantry hiding under trees etc the aircraft ignore all HT's (and AA vehicles) that are sitting in the open roads.

When I played this mission the aircraft attacked my AA vehicles sitting in the open ground and slightly elevated (not on the road).

I thought it was a priority for it. But maybe the target is more or less randomly determined.

I mid-edited my first post.  The aircraft did indeed attack AA vehicles as a priority.  What was weird about the LOS/spotting is that the aircraft easily spotted and attacked inf lying (presumably hidden) under trees, but did not attack any HT's that were on roads in plain sight.

I can't tell you exactly how the air targeting works, but I once tested whether infantry benefits from the hide order while under air attack. The result was that it made absolutely no difference - when they are in the open - whether if you hide them or not, and it doesn't help putting them in weeds, shrubs, or similar, compared to golf-lawn grass. I don't know if trees or bushes actually make a difference though.

In general, I think it should be extremely rare for a WW2 aircraft to strafe infantry. Just spotting them would be very difficult, and unless we're talking about a whole platoon in column moving down a road, I think aircraft would prefer to engage better targets.