Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBN BP2 has a release date

On 6/7/2024 at 4:13 AM, Ithikial_AU said:

I remember a bug that was squashed many years ago where Barbed Wire on a map led to crashes. Unsure if you continued to experience problems if the barbed wire was purchased/placed while the bug was active in the game version.

Open the file in the editor and delete all the barbed wire in the unit selection screen. If you can then load the 3D preview with the side that has the barbed wire (I assume the Germans) and it loads successfully that was probably the fix. The downside is you need to repurchase all the barbed wire and place it again from scratch. But it's a path forward.

Juno Beach needs to some love. ;) Tailleville was once on my to do list. @Paper Tiger - Did your Road to Carpiquet idea ever get off the ground?

[snip]

I removed all barbed wire and the scenario works fine with really decent frame rate despite the chaos of fire in the first turn. I then added 30 units of wire (300 sections) and the scenario crashes again when resolving the first turn. Immediate CTD when pressing the red button. I wonder if it is the barbed wire that is bugged or some kind of hard cap on fortifications that is the root of the problem. I might try some other things that might get it to work. The absoulte worst case would be just not have any barbed wire and substitute it with wire fences and terrain features to make it harder to traverse, but it's just not the same.

My scenario is the landings opposing Courseulles-sur-Mer and my intention was to also use the map for a "what if" counter attack just as the Canadians started to move inland. I have a BIGOT map that covers almost all of the area north of and including Tailleville in case you feel like revisiting it.

The other day I watched @Hapless great video on the Gold Beach landings at Le Hamel - and that made me want to do a scenario on that as well. Haven't been into scenario making in a long time and have several started projects. About time to get going with one again.

18 hours ago, rocketman said:

I removed all barbed wire and the scenario works fine with really decent frame rate despite the chaos of fire in the first turn. I then added 30 units of wire (300 sections) and the scenario crashes again when resolving the first turn. Immediate CTD when pressing the red button. I wonder if it is the barbed wire that is bugged or some kind of hard cap on fortifications that is the root of the problem. I might try some other things that might get it to work. The absoulte worst case would be just not have any barbed wire and substitute it with wire fences and terrain features to make it harder to traverse, but it's just not the same.

My scenario is the landings opposing Courseulles-sur-Mer and my intention was to also use the map for a "what if" counter attack just as the Canadians started to move inland. I have a BIGOT map that covers almost all of the area north of and including Tailleville in case you feel like revisiting it.

The other day I watched @Hapless great video on the Gold Beach landings at Le Hamel - and that made me want to do a scenario on that as well. Haven't been into scenario making in a long time and have several started projects. About time to get going with one again.

Can you send the map with the barbed wire? That way we can see if it's the map or your system that is having the issue.

On 6/7/2024 at 9:13 AM, Ithikial_AU said:

Juno Beach needs to some love. ;) Tailleville was once on my to do list. @Paper Tiger - Did your Road to Carpiquet idea ever get off the ground?

Ouch. Painful topic :D I had almost finished it - a 6-mission campaign IIRC with all the map work done and the AI plans mostly done. And it ALL got lost when my old hard drive burst into flames (literally) I thought I had back ups on my old laptop and on disk but I can't find them and that really hurts.

I had two maps for Aubin, a genuine beach landing which surprisingly worked and wasn't the bloody mess I'd expected it to be with a small south Aubin mission,'Going to Church' or something like that with a single platoon and a tank. Then the came the Tailleville map which I expanded greatly into a master map (not of the same scale that you guys make them though) from which I could make two missions. Then it was on to Carpiquet with three missions there. That was a second master map from which I created three missions.

I still have the little book I bought about the North Shore Regiment called D-Day to Caripquet by Marc Milner which I used to design the campaign and all the physical notes I made regarding the missions and the OBs and the names of certain leaders but there's just no way I'm remaking all those maps again. Aubin was not a big map but the detail was an incredible amount of work.

13 minutes ago, Paper Tiger said:

Ouch. Painful topic :D I had almost finished it - a 6-mission campaign IIRC with all the map work done and the AI plans mostly done. And it ALL got lost when my old hard drive burst into flames (literally) I thought I had back ups on my old laptop and on disk but I can't find them and that really hurts.

No flames, but I've had the same thing happen back in the day. Lost my La Barquette Lock map circa 2014. Seems to be my bogey man of a map as each time I start putting something together for that area again (including for this pack) something goes wrong. :P I just should cut my losses and follow the warnings signs.