Mods Folder

Has something changed for the mods folder location in this series?

I've been away for a while (I've gotten very interested in a regimental-level ACW board game) and came back to update all of my CM games. My primary hard drive is nearly full, so I took the CMBN Data and Games files folders out of my Documents folder and moved them all to the "Z" folder in CMBN>Data >Z.  

No matter what I've tried, I cannot get my mods to show up.  I've been in the series since its incarnation, have every bit of every game, and they're all heavily modded.  I've not had any problems with any of the other games, but the CMBN mods will not show.

I wonder if deleting the CMBN folder on my C : drive has something to do with this, but it hasn't affected FI, RT, FB, or the others...

Thanks in advance

On 4/14/2024 at 10:50 AM, Rake said:

I've been away for a while (I've gotten very interested in a regimental-level ACW board game) and came back to update all of my CM games. My primary hard drive is nearly full, so I took the CMBN Data and Games files folders out of my Documents folder and moved them all to the "Z" folder in CMBN>Data >Z.  

The Game Files folders must be in Documents. That's where the game "looks" for them. 

When I was running out of room I moved my exe game folders (along with all those big BRZs) to another drive but kept the Documents /CM stuff where they were in Documents. Everything worked just fine.

About mods, I still drop my mods into a Z folder in the documents folder along with the BRZs, the old-school way. The game doesn't like folder-in-folder, be aware.

Edited by MikeyD

On 4/14/2024 at 10:50 AM, Rake said:

Has something changed for the mods folder location in this series?

No matter what I've tried, I cannot get my mods to show up.  I've been in the series since its incarnation, have every bit of every game, and they're all heavily modded.  I've not had any problems with any of the other games, but the CMBN mods will not show.

I wonder if deleting the CMBN folder on my C : drive has something to do with this, but it hasn't affected FI, RT, FB, or the others...

Thanks in advance

Unless something has recently changed, everything CMBN installs goes into the main install directory. Nothing should be in the documents folder. CMBN is the only CM2 game that does this. All the others put the games files/user data into the documents folder. So your mods z folder should be on the C drive ...CMBN/data/z. Something about Microsoft changed something but CMBN had already shipped.

I'd backup your mods folder, grab the latest installer and do a clean install.