British Vehicle Nationality Markings

Have tried mucking about this forum. So whenever I play a scenario with British forces, the vehicles all have US stars on them. Where is a mod I can download that changes them to British markings?

8 minutes ago, kb6583 said:

So whenever I play a scenario with British forces, the vehicles all have US stars on them. 

Pip Roberts stands up in his scout car, and says, "I think you'll find that it is an Allied star, old chap".

Pip Roberts scout car.jpg

Could you post a picture or two of what you would expect to see?  From a quick google of images of British tanks in Normandy, I'm not sure - most have unit markings, some have stars, some not.  I don't think there are UK 'national' markings?

For example:

image.jpeg.0fa4b8164994e95ccea6cdd9057d3bdd.jpeg

23 hours ago, kb6583 said:

Have tried mucking about this forum. So whenever I play a scenario with British forces, the vehicles all have US stars on them. Where is a mod I can download that changes them to British markings?

The British adopted the white star as it was much easier for pilots to identify than their own roundel.

25 minutes ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

their own roundel

Again, I'm not sure but I think roundels were only used on planes, not vehicles?  And on planes they weren't replaced with stars AFAIK.  On vehicles however, just like the photo above, the star was used.  And if I was in a vehicle in Normandy (for example) I'd want it to be as clear as possible to my aircraft friends that I was not an enemy.  Did that work?  Not always...

As @Warts 'n' all said, red and white stripes were used on British tanks in Africa and Italy.  Why red and white stripes?  Looks a bit English to me, not British 😉.

The White Red White symbol goes back to WW1. I'm not sure how it came about, it might have been based on a cavalry pennant. Even the USatians used it on the few tanks that they had, and there is a tank in a museum in the States showing the vertical stripes.

In WW2  the BEF kicked off with an all White symbol. In the desert Red White Red was used in the early days, to be replaced with White Red White. i think the change happened around the time of Operation Crusader but, if someone knows more please tell us. The RAF roundel was used on army vehicles in the Med sometimes, probably to ward off fighter pilots with bad eyesight.

For me adopting the "Allied" star as it is often called, right across 21st Army Group in the build up to D-day made perfect sense in terms of ease of identification.

9 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Again, I'm not sure but I think roundels were only used on planes, not vehicles?  And on planes they weren't replaced with stars AFAIK.  On vehicles however, just like the photo above, the star was used.  And if I was in a vehicle in Normandy (for example) I'd want it to be as clear as possible to my aircraft friends that I was not an enemy.  Did that work?  Not always...

As @Warts 'n' all said, red and white stripes were used on British tanks in Africa and Italy.  Why red and white stripes?  Looks a bit English to me, not British 😉.

Looks a bit English to me, not British 😉

Just interresting how  english men are, when they are talking togethers 😆

OK guys I have also something about circles and stars and markings, we have 2 or three differents mods pack, for the Allied, on the CMMODs IV, and I would like to know who is correct about vehicles markings signs and Insigns !

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/cm-mod-warehouse/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cmbn-infantry/dcs-21st-army-group-massive-uniform-mod/

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/cm-mod-warehouse/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cmbn-other/the-commonwealth-troops-modtag-project/

and one again all the others two above !

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/cm-mod-warehouse/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy/cmbn-infantry/no-formation-markings-mod-cmbn-british-army-2/

What we have in real, on DDay in Normandy markings or no markings !

Edited by JM Stuff