Apply easily patches in CM (question for @BFCElvis, clevers members, or members of (BFC) !

I wonder if this could be an alternative to apply patches in CM, "in a easy way", but minimum for me  it's work !

To avoid to makes some mistakes to install a patch and be in the correct path on your PC installation,
this is in my opinion, most of the time, the reason, why a game doesn't  work more, after applying a patch.

This seem to be difficult but in fact is not.

I proceed as follow...

1. Check in your main folder data witch files is your last brz names, (I e. CMBN last brz name, normandy v404.brz).
  2. Go to your CMBN patch open and check without dezipped it  the last brz names, (I.e. CMBN pach v404 (normandy v400, v401,v403,v404).
  3. Go back to your main game directory data, check and save the last brz from the same name  in a save folder place, desktop... (i.e. with the name (original CMBN BRZ).
  4. Open the patch file, copy or drag and drop the brzs, in your main game directory data the (news brz from Patches), accept the change and replace it.
  5. Close and restart your game.
  6. Check bottom the version of your game, the patch is apply.

This is avoid to dezipped the complete installer file.

After starting your game check to the version bottom  and if there is no problem to play.

If the procedure doesn't work for you !

1. Delete the news brz files that you just added,
  2. Drag and drop your save brz, from your desktop(that you save before), and copy and past it like before in your main directory data.
  3. Restart your game to see if nothing is wrong !!
  4. Later apply the installer, nothing will alternated your game if you follow this procedure.

Feedback ??
Edited by JM Stuff

• JM Stuff changed the title to Apply easily patches in CM (question for @BFCElvis, clevers members, or members of (BFC) !
2 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Feedback ??

That is far to complicated for most humans to follow.

Worse it will not work - you missed handling the .exe file.

You are correct, the most common problem people have is installing to the wrong place. My personal suggestion is to have a check in the install that verifies that the .exe and .brz files already present are where they are expected to be relative to the user chosen install location. That way the install will not proceed if it is all going into the wrong place.

I should probably pitch that idea :D

My personal strategy to handle any roll back need is to copy the current install to a new location. In windows I just <ctrl>C <ctrl>P and end up with a new install of the game. I tweak the folder name to show which version it will be after the patch and install the patch there. I actually do this to allow continuing to play PBEM games with opponents who have not upgraded yet.

2 minutes ago, A Canadian Cat - was IanL said:

That is far to complicated for most humans to follow.

Worse it will not work - you missed handling the .exe file.

You are correct, the most common problem people have is installing to the wrong place. My personal suggestion is to have a check in the install that verifies that the .exe and .brz files already present are where they are expected to be relative to the user chosen install location. That way the install will not proceed if it is all going into the wrong place.

I should probably pitch that idea :D

My personal strategy to handle any roll back need is to copy the current install to a new location. In windows I just <ctrl>C <ctrl>P and end up with a new install of the game. I tweak the folder name to show which version it will be after the patch and install the patch there. I actually do this to allow continuing to play PBEM games with opponents who have not upgraded yet.

Thank you, what do you mean with handling the .exe files ?

He just put the correct things in the correct place isn't ?

And the correct place is only to replace the brz or I am wrong ?

This is interesting to know because since...I do always the same, but never have problem to the version. ?

I mean if BFC created an exe file this must be for a good reason, but for now I don't see what do the exe file?

PS I have myself also a copy on another HD of CM that, I want to apply a patch, than delete it when I guess that the patch is in a correct way edited, but like I see I have to improve again the way that I did untill now. .

35 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Thank you, what do you mean with handling the .exe files ?

Your original post did not include copying the .exe file into the correct place (and presumably moving the old one out if you want to roll back). That's all.

52 minutes ago, A Canadian Cat - was IanL said:

Your original post did not include copying the .exe file into the correct place (and presumably moving the old one out if you want to roll back). That's all.

Yes true, my bad, I was thinking  is clear enough !

36 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I agree.

JM, you meant well as always 👍.

Thank you @Vacillator Tim, I check always first to myself a easy way to work,  patches were for me in the past a headaches, and cost me sometimes another full installation, if I find something more easy but also seem to be secure, I share my ideas.

I do the manipulation almost with closing eyes since longtimes ago, but can also make mistakes on things that I dont know, this is why my question to @A Canadian Cat - was IanL to be sure for the correct manipulation to edit the patch,  but to explain all, is a little more difficult and like you can read above, I was forgetting to mention some gestures that I did automaticaly, but believe me, this works,  with a probability of 80 percent to dont makes mistakes, the rest of 20 percents is yourself.

hope this will be usefull for everybodys I keep a good sentence 

I should probably pitch that idea :D

JM

Hold up. This cannot work, currently. I reread your instructions and though what about the rare occasion that a new scenario or campaign is added. What does that look like? So, I cracked open the "CM Final Blitzkrieg v211 Update.rar" file and found that what @JM Stuff is suggesting is not possible to do. There is no new game .exe and no new .btt files available for you to. They are wrapped up inside the setup program.

You need a new game .exe to make a valid patch.

So, if you were just talking about a hypothetical new way to distribute the patches OK but if you are patching your games using this then you are not correctly patching your games. 

Do not actually try and follow these instructions - they will not patch your game.

1 hour ago, A Canadian Cat - was IanL said:

Hold up. This cannot work, currently. I reread your instructions and though what about the rare occasion that a new scenario or campaign is added. What does that look like? So, I cracked open the "CM Final Blitzkrieg v211 Update.rar" file and found that what @JM Stuff is suggesting is not possible to do. There is no new game .exe and no new .btt files available for you to. They are wrapped up inside the setup program.

You need a new game .exe to make a valid patch.

So, if you were just talking about a hypothetical new way to distribute the patches OK but if you are patching your games using this then you are not correctly patching your games. 

Do not actually try and follow these instructions - they will not patch your game.

Just a minute... i Will check this again, later when I am home I want to be sure 100 percent myself.

I will use two différents path of différents HD to be sure...!

Thank you to have checked again, could be that I made mistakes now you make me in doubt...🤔

JM

28 minutes ago, Kevin2k said:

FYI This thing does exist:  https://constexpr.org/innoextract/  ..

Thank you don't pay attention to this thread

OK guys after couple of time to test all the result is

DONT APPLY IT and bette dont read this thread

I was thinking to find a good way to apply more easy a patch but I was wrong
I apologize about this. 

1 hour ago, JM Stuff said:

Thank you don't pay attention to this thread

OK guys after couple of time to test all the result is

DONT APPLY IT and bette dont read this thread

I was thinking to find a good way to apply more easy a patch but I was wrong
I apologize about this. 

Pleasse BFC admin delete this thread !!