DF the wasp's nest - terrible

Playing as veteran. First off the battle is labeled as medium, it is LARGE. I have spent countless hours as allies on wasps nests and taken 3 areas over successfully and still minor defeat. There are no tactics involved allies have no cover rushing into MG-42 and STG-44 nests (one greenhorn STG-44 nest took 32 guys down) The author really has to rethink a fair point system and not making it totally one sided also please  allow us to use simple tactics, instead of something like dragging all our troops forward before time runs out.

Edited by user1000

• user1000 changed the title to DF the wasp's nest - terrible

There's a book called No Triumphant Procession that covers this battle, with a good deal on the fighting in Rethem. This battle as designed hews close to the actions depicted, down to the placements of units and rendering of the map.

The battle is a question of whether or not a player can do better than the UK force did.

4 hours ago, user1000 said:

Playing as veteran. First off the battle is labeled as medium, it is LARGE. I have spent countless hours as allies on wasps nests and taken 3 areas over successfully and still minor defeat. There are no tactics involved allies have no cover rushing into MG-42 and STG-44 nests (one greenhorn STG-44 nest took 32 guys down) The author really has to rethink a fair point system and not making it totally one sided also please  allow us to use simple tactics, instead of something like dragging all our troops forward before time runs out.

Well, before blaming all your problems on the designer of the scenario, maybe you should evaluate the skill level you are playing at.

I have not finished the battle, but here is where I left off at. I still have a hour and 33 minutes left in the battle.

My losses are at 68 men, the Germans at 194. 

I lost interest because of the ease of the battle at this point.

I thought the map to be well done, the challedge to be good and the oppotunity to use  the wasp  as very enjoyable since they are a key to the success of this mission.

If I do ever finish it, I for sure see no problem with getting to the final objective and keeping things  in my favor. So, how can there be so much varience??  The designer cannot solve that problem unless, they started creating 4 or 5 versions of each battle, set for different difficulty levels.

j3OUxr2.png

Ok maybe the designer based play ability of a lower skill set, I have played and beat all the combat mission WW2 games on veteran level. Win by the skin of my teeth sometimes and other times won big.  This is almost like a beach landing. but with no tanks or heavy machine guns for the allies. There is no cover and the cover you do manage to find is worse than what the enemy is using while waiting in ambush.

bs.png

Edited by user1000

Aye, I am the person responsible for this work. It's one of the very late battles of the war, featuring Kriegsmarine defenders. They put up a fight, as the original poster found out. It's also playable from the German side, with 3 plans per side. Maybe he got the Ultra Tough one.

To those that struggle through it, and need Cliff Notes:

Smoke is available, use it if needed. There's plenty of artillery available. There's also 2 flame-throwing Wasps that, if you aren't charging at everything can make short work of anyone in strong points.

Otherwise: I don't make puzzle scenarios. This area of Northern Germany is largely as flat as Holland. I've been generous, as to the cover in the design. It's flat, and largely treeless save along the water areas. The terrain is made from a period map and images from the actual area - as close as I could get to the real deal.

@benpark i am glad to hear there are more AI plans . I wished  you added more set up zones and plans for AI  in  British campaign . There are almost no triggers anything like that . It would be master piece otherwise and different set up zones would help with replayability so much . We would never know where defender is sitting exactly . 

David - One thing I learned from watching many replays of the campaigns I made for FR (with multiple AI plans) was that people would sometimes get an outlier AI plan, right off the bat. The other thing to campaigns (especially the longer ones) is the testing - It's impossible to accurately test all the outcomes of multiple plans over the arc of a campaign.

My work-around in the crucial cases was to use somewhat larger AI plan areas, so the TacAI could have a bit more freedom to use the areas set. These were still carefully placed, but add some variation.

I don't recall what the setup zones were (I made that campaign earlier in the development) - Some had to be set set-ups due to LoS issues. If there's something that I can adapt, maybe I can do so and upload it informally.

3D Editor setup and AI planning is the dream. It would save a massive amount of time.

21 minutes ago, user1000 said:

Looks like a win to me... NOPE

No, no it doesn't. That looks like a Draw.

Edited by benpark

yea Ben  I do not know if you can add different setup zones for each mission in campaign , but only this thing would change it so much and i mean not completely different just few changes and yes i can imagine the ai plans with this editor must be headache , but if there was  slightly different setup zones then i would forgive you 🙂

As a guy from ancient history once sang "I don't need to be forgiven".

We can talk campaigns somewhere else on the forum, if you want to start a separate campaign thread. This one is like a black hole. I would wait to play through 5-6 scenarios, to get a fuller sense though, if you haven't yet.

13 hours ago, benpark said:

One thing I learned from watching many replays of the campaigns I made for FR (with multiple AI plans) was that people would sometimes get an outlier AI plan, right off the bat.

Statistics and all that, innit?

People who get the "normal challenge" plans aren't as likely to question the balancing.

Hi Ben I tested it by starting the campaign on scenario test difficulty and clicking off the moves for about half an hour and then I put cease fire and continued to the next mission I repeated this procedure several times and for example the first mission in the British campaign is always the same ai is static and always starts with the same unit deployment 🙂

Edited by David Jaros