Advice on creating a possible scenario on Maleme Airfield and Hill 107

wlmiv

I was thinking of creating a scenario for the capture of the bridge and Maleme airfield. As a part of the attack was Hill 107. So, I was thinking of creating a scenario that has these events occurring.

Creating the geography for the battlefield would be fairly easy though there is nothing that really represents olive trees with the exception of grape fields. I also think the best version of Combat Mission 2 for Crete is Fortress Italy. 

My question is really more concerned with the units in the scenario.

First of all, is there a way to find and/or import Fallschrimjager and New Zealand troop mods for Fortress Italy?

Second, many of the German paratroopers landed without their rifles (maybe with a few having pistols). On Hill 107, the fighting turned into hand to hand fighting as the paratroopers landed. Is there a way to simulate hand to hand fighting? Also, would it be possible to start a Combat Mission scenario by having troops who do not posses weapons, but have to reach a canister where their weapons are stored?

Also are there mods for crashed gliders on the ground?

I may have a few more questions, but these questions may make creating the battle for Maleme impossible. As a result, I was hoping get some advice and/or assistance before I put too much time into the scenario.

Thanks for your reply.

Did you give up or are you still working on your own Mod?

I found a link to some mods but I could not find one for any scenarios. Would you please show me where to find the link for your scenarios?

I went to Hill 107 and Maleme once and so the battle there interests me.

Thank you.

Edited by wlmiv

sure, standby, I will paste it here in a minute.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nhawptyba75vqkl/AAB2cBGA5UvFpasdj7lu2kfua?dl=0

I admit it. When it comes to CM stuff, I am like a guy with about a half-dozen girlfriends. I get all into one and spend a lot of time with her and then - "poof!" - she just doesn't do it for me as much anymore and I head over to another hot chick instead. :D FRANCE 1940 keeps calling me but it always goes to voicemail and I haven't taken her on a date in a while. CMAK2 AFRIKA I have some excitement going on. With that series I can roll in the hay (sand?) with British and various Commonwealth birds, French Mademoiselles, exotic Polish and Indian ladies, Italianas, German frauleins and even some 1940's Apple Pie American babes.  I have a real faded relationship with my Russian Barbarossa beauty. I built a sauna for my fond memories of my time or 2 with that fine female from Finland. Don't forget the Kreta silky parachute pants hotties. I confess I have been eyeballing a Spanish Blue Division senorita upon occasion. ...BUT...KOREA 1950 has got me doodling her name at work and daydreaming of her all day. I told her to enjoy it while she can. Now I see the raven haired women in Palestine 1948. 

Bottomline is I did some Kreta stuff but then move on...as described above. 

The crashed German glider I could go back and try to finish.

I say you should go for it. I can give 2 cents of advice as needed. 

Edited by kohlenklau

4 hours ago, wlmiv said:

Is there a way to simulate hand to hand fighting? Also, would it be possible to start a Combat Mission scenario by having troops who do not posses weapons, but have to reach a canister where their weapons are stored?

Not really - I suppose the units could be out of ammo - and have to reach supply dumps to acquire...

I will put this idea on the table for you to consider. My brain has lots of ideas. I don't always say if they are good ideas. :D

A scenario author could simulate the small groups of FJ landing with just pistols (crew with pistols and maybe with one SMG) by using dismounted vehicle crews. The normal vehicle crew uniform and headgear COULD be modded to display as FJ uniforms and helmets. The vehicles could be made transparent with icons also transparent with scenario author deploying the vehicle in a "fenced off" area of the battle map. 

Thanks for your advice.

I am a noob so I would not even know how to mod the uniforms into FJ. That may be beyond my capability. I'd have to research modding more. 

First, I want to take a look at what you have done already.

I have always thought Battlefront should do a CM v.2 of North Africa. They could include Greece/Crete in it. There is much that could be included in a North Africa Combat Mission series. 

4 hours ago, wlmiv said:

Thanks for your advice.

I am a noob so I would not even know how to mod the uniforms into FJ. That may be beyond my capability. I'd have to research modding more. 

I can be your coach and help any time. PM me.

I recommend to just focus on creating the scenario itself. Use my cobbled together set of mods (at first at least). Later you can maybe alter the mods or tweak them.

Scenario writing for CM is a good challenge with AI plans and points and briefings and maps and testing. Plus how will you do the "pistols only FJ's"...

My last advice is to make the scenario much smaller than you want. Going big and grand is a sure way to have it never get finished. Fight the urge.

Maybe you have experience with these scenario projects and CAN pull off big and grand right away. I don't know.

Best wishes!

~Phil

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

You should look at Koh's Crete and NA mod sets.  He's done a fabulous job creating those for us.

+1 (or more) to that.  Having played some of the battles in those against Phil himself, I would say he did a great job.   And he's continuing similar excellent work (hi Phil, you can pay me later 😉)...