FIRE SUPPORT TEAMS

There are FO's, Fire Control Teams (FCT's), FIST's etc.  Each one has a different call time for air or arty.  It appears that the FCT can call in air fastest.  But FO's and FIST's can call arty faster.

But it's confusing as the call times of FIST's and FO's can be different for each artillery piece.  I don't recall anything in the manual that helps explain why some can call certain arty pieces  a minute or two faster than another.  Any explanation for why this is?

Another idiosyncracy: in CMSF The 50 cal HUMVEE can show plenty of 50 cal ammo in it's left box, but be out of ammo in the right box.

Also, in CMSF, the sniper who has the rifle which only uses 7.62mm ammo also carries 50 cal rounds.  Another bug?  (It is unclear if the sniper with the 50 cal rifle can resupply from a 50 cal HUMVEE.)

Anyone else experimented with this?

4 minutes ago, Erwin said:

But it's confusing as the call times of FIST's and FO's can be different for each artillery piece.  I don't recall anything in the manual that helps explain why some can call certain arty pieces  a minute or two faster than another.  Any explanation for why this is?

It depends on the experience level of the spotter, and also of the artillery unit.

2 minutes ago, liamb said:

That is what the symbology of green circle, orange triangle in the arty unit square is telling you - how close the unit is to the spotter formation wise. 

As far as I remember, this little symbol will be the same no matter which spotting unit you have selected before going to the artillery selection.

With offboard arty and air, there is no "chain of command" as far as I can detect.  The challenge is that all the support units I have (arty and air) have the same bright green C2 links to the spotters.  So, why the big difference in call times?  It also does not appear to matter if it is a Bn, CO, a Co CO, or a regular HQ that is calling.  (Dedicated FO's, Fire Control Teams (FCT's), FIST's etc. are usually faster to call of course.)

Edited by Erwin

@ALBY and I just played a really fun scenario he came up with that hones your skills at indirect fire and the use of spotters and drones in CMBS.  We each had mechanized forces (which included only 1 tank) and 7 drones each.  Reinforcements came in at each 5 minute mark that gave you more and more capability.  It would really make a good training or tournament game.

Edited by Probus

2 hours ago, slysniper said:

He is correct, if its a unit in the proper chain of command. Its times are faster.

I do not believe this is the case.

What matters is the experience level of the spotter and of the asset. And then dedicated FOs get a discount on call times (25% if I remember correctly).

At least I'm pretty sure this is how it works in the WW2 games. Can't comment on the modern titles.

well the best way to figure it out is just make a test scenario, insert all the units in question and do just that, set up  same units with different experience levels and see if that is the thing and only thing impacting times.

Personnally i have never thought about it much,  I just go in at the start of battles, click on all the unit able to call in assets and see who has the best time for what.

Never cared why, just try to use the units that perform the task the best.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 8:48 AM, Bulletpoint said:

I do not believe this is the case.

What matters is the experience level of the spotter and of the asset. And then dedicated FOs get a discount on call times (25% if I remember correctly).

At least I'm pretty sure this is how it works in the WW2 games. Can't comment on the modern titles.

This is not true in modern titles.  artillery inside formations is definitely faster.  and im 70% sure dedicated FOs dont get a discount, but i suppose it is possible if it is small enough since I was just logging things in 1 minute intervals.

Ive never tested in WW2, so it could be different there, but that would surprise me.

Edited by dkchapuis