CMFI KOREA 1950 MOD PBEM DAR "Patton's Ghost"

ROK PATTON'S GHOST

0930, 27 September 1950. 

Just south of Osan. The sky is a haze with a light wind from the west. It is hot and the ground
is dry. 

^

Task Force Lynch will proceed on through Osan to link up with friendly units of X Corps coming
from Inchon. The North Koreans were taken by surprise by the Inchon landings. Their offensive
energy has largely been spent hammering against the Pusan perimeter. The landings were
successful and the perimeter held. You now are part of the pocket's counter-attack with a
goal to drive forward and link up with X Corps coming from Inchon.

^

You are Lieutenant Hartmann and command Love Company of the 3rd Battalion, 7th Cavalry
Regiment. Your entire battalion is brand new to Korea. You WERE previously part of the 3rd
Infantry Division at Fort Benning, Georgia. You all traded your "Rock of the Marne" for the
"First Team" shoulder patch. In addition to your rifle company, you have two Super Bazooka
teams and three Easy Eight Shermans.

^

The North Koreans are a shadow of the force that started this war back in June. Their 4th
Division is estimated to number only 2,500-3,000 men. Local males have been pressed into service from
conquered farms and villages throughout South Korea. But these conscripts are led by a cadre of
veteran officers and NCO's. Additionally, the KPA still has numerous tanks and heavy weapons.
Supplies may be dwindling but expect the force in Osan to be perhaps 2 platoons of infantry
with a few tanks and heavy weapons. Their mission is to delay your advance so the rest of their
comrades can retreat northward.

^
You have 45 minutes to accomplish your mission to drive through Osan to the exit zone beyond
the river. There are 3 basic routes forward. a) on your left, cross the tracks and head through
the "Old Town" towards the rail bridge, b) up the center along the main paved road into the
city and road bridge; and c) on your right along the edge of rice paddy fields to a secondary
road that eventually fords the river.

^

Points are awarded for occupying the designated buildings but the final scores for each side
and who has obtained victory is settled by post-battle analysis and discussion between the
players.

He has Easy Eights coming in on both flanks!

380-in-prog.png

381-in-prog.png

My Zis-3 takes a hit but only loses one soldier. 

379-in-prog.png

My right flank HAD a Maxim in the 2nd floor of the church across from the Kimchee shop...now scrap metal for a Hyundai.

382-in-prog.png

My 82mm mortar on the right flank starts to drop rounds into the path of his infantry.

383-in-prog.png

A command element observes...

384-in-prog.png

The Zis-3 scores a hit on the Easy Eight but the effect is not yet determined...

385-in-prog.png

Tank 211 creeps forward on the right flank...

386-in-prog.png

Edited by kohlenklau

We will pick up the action later today unless postponed by TV sports...

Meanwhile, here are some more screenies.

A face I did from a Korean actor. He played the bad guy in "71 - Into the Fire".

You can also see my "stick grenade pouch"...

387-in-prog.png

388-in-prog.png

The Maxim MG team hunkers down in turn 1. These guys are now ex-parrots, singing with the choir invisible.

389-in-prog.png

Some more guys in that team wearing their "Keds hightops"...

390-in-prog.png

This guy is a warrant officer in command of the company group. He had served in the Red Army during dubya dubya two.

I had a cool idea for the "stick grenade pouch"...each texture for the grenades can be randomly plucked from the data.

Some are transparent so a guy can have 0, 1 or 2 grenades in the pouch.

GRAVEYARD: I googled a little to try and see what a circa 1950 Korean graveyard might look like. I had no luck really. So I just deleted the Italian names off of these CMFI gravestones. Mi dispiace!

391-in-prog.png

Edited by kohlenklau

In case anybody asks "Why is this scenario called 'Patton's Ghost'...?

It is originally an ASL scenario by Pete Shelling with the below briefing:

The breakout from the Pusan Perimeter would not be considered successful until Eighth Army linked up with X Corps coming from the Seoul area. To help make that a reality, each regiment of the First Team received fresh troops in early September in the form of a third battalion. The 7th Cavalry Regiment received a full 800 men from Fort Benning, and while they didn't have much time to train together, they were commanded by West Pointer Lt. Col. James H. Lynch. The intended site of the linkup was the town of Osan, which had seen one of the first battles of the war three months earlier, in which U.S. units were overrun and routed. With support from C Company, 70th Heavy Tank Battalion led by Lieutenant Robert Baker, Lynch's 3rd Battalion would lead the way.

ASL scenario card hardcopy or pdfs pretty much always have the historical outcome ("aftermath") of the battle that the scenario is based off of...

AFTERMATH:

As the breakout drew closer to Osan, Colonel Harris's 7th Cavalry Regiment engaged retreating elements of the 105th "Seoul" Armored Division. After a confusing night battle with several T-34's on 26 September, Lynch decided to wait for morning to drive on Osan. Task Force Lynch attacked towards the city at 0800 just as an enemy machine gun crew opened fire on the column. That position was quickly overrun, and the gunners killed in a headlong charge by Lieutenant William W. Woodside and two enlisted men. The first elements of Task Force Lynch reached Osan at 0900 and by the afternoon had met with the 7th Infantry Division coming from the west. Finally, 1st Cavalry's commander General "Hap" Gay had a moment that would have made his old boss and mentor, General George Patton, proud.

Edited by kohlenklau

OK, yardwork is done for the day. Dining Room project takes a pause.

Turns kick back in...

A tank duel takes place on my left flank. The Easy Eight is focused on the ATG!

This allows SGT Song's T-34/85 to creep up behind a small barn.

397-in-prog.png

His first shot is way high. A clean miss.

The next was a hit at the very end of a turn and it took me a while to see this...

It went right through the turret MG .50 cal ammo box.

A little lower Song!

396-in-prog.png

The next was a hit again. It gouged a bit off the turret side.

Still...a little lower Song!

398-in-prog.png

The next shot was just right!

That is my favorite song, SGT Song!

399-in-prog.png

Edited by kohlenklau

Alright, as the battle progresses I am trying to improve the KPA uniforms a bit. But alas I am not a talented young Aussie modder! @Damian45

In this image you see the stock US uniforms and also on the KIA commies my attempt at the KPA uniform in a yellowish color with sneakers and cap. I had to edit the mds file to add back some gear.

405-in-prog.png

His left flank Easy Eight went cuckoo and turned his hindquarters towards me! At first it was both the hull and turret. As the turn progressed the turret rotated.

I sent my other tank out for a chance to nail him.

400-in-prog.png

But Lieutenant Jeon couldn't detect the enemy tank and reversed back to safety after 00:15.

401-in-prog.png

Meanwhile in the center along the paved road - a regular Korean Boulevard for those days I suppose, right LLF? @LongLeftFlank

I have pinned down some US infantry! Four of my riflemen fire from the market houses...

402-in-prog.png

But the center Easy Eight is nearby and lends them some HE support.

403-in-prog.png

SGT Song is on the way!

404-in-prog.png

Edited by kohlenklau

Oh well, it did not go my way at all. :(

Suicide guitar hero took off like a bolt of lightning and even made it into the walled area...

408-in-prog.png

..but then got greased by the bow MG.

409-in-prog.png

SGT Song whistled his way to heaven too.

411-in-prog.png

I've got some not so enthusiastic soldiers imagining life in the land of the big PX.

410-in-prog.png

Eventhough I made that derogatory comment about that surrendering soldier, at another place, the boys are valiantly holding them up by the barbed wire obstacle.

I fended off a probe on my left flank, he is pretty weak over on that side I think. He lost that tank early on and those rice paddies were no fun to walk through.

414-in-prog.png

My right flank is oddly quiet. They may be creeping around slowly. I have not much there but I have a few guys.

The center is where all the action is...I had a team holding him back...

412-in-prog.png

but then whammo, they were gone.

413-in-prog.png

Direct fire from the tank? Now, let me check with Steve...I thought that outhouse shack flavor object provided cover & concealment and soft toilet tissue? :D

The remaining tank is gonna have to move around and make him think I have an entire battalion of tanks!

415-in-prog.png

On 10/7/2023 at 3:13 PM, kohlenklau said:

GRAVEYARD: I googled a little to try and see what a circa 1950 Korean graveyard might look like. I had no luck really. So I just deleted the Italian names off of these CMFI gravestones. Mi dispiace!

391-in-prog.png

As in China, Korean graveyards are typically on a rural hillside (honouring the dead with an auspicious view); they wouldn't typically be within a village, or collocated with a temple.

Each grave has a small mound (the dead are buried upright), typically overgrown by grass over time; stone markers for the affluent are a more modern adaptation borrowed from Chinese/Western custom.

https://alotandacouple.com/2011/02/16/mounds-of-dirt/

IMG_2220.jpg

Villages could have a spirit grove (maulsup), which Westerners might mistake for a churchyard, but is more a kind of shrine as well as park. Wooded and fenced in, it might contain some stone pagoda shrines or even clusters of wooden effigies (jangseung) representing guardian spirits. The grove is often near the village water supply (stream/pond or well).

...A general mapping comment, in cultivated (rice) zones, most village houses are going to have vegetable gardens around them, which in the summer would include climbing trellises and bamboo fencing (this is all tactical concealment). Koreans don't live on rice alone! Some liberal use of patches of tall grass might help abstract the LOS effects. Midden (organic trash) heaps and stacks of firewood would also feature, along with water jars.

Obviously, in mountain villages and the north, and in winter, things are going to look different; more barren in general, less wood, more stone in construction, etc.

P.S. This is terrific work, btw!!!!!

Edited by LongLeftFlank

2 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Meanwhile in the center along the paved road - a regular Korean Boulevard for those days I suppose, right LLF? 

I have pinned down some US infantry! Four of my riflemen fire from the market houses...

402-in-prog.png

Ha ha, no, that's just fine. Most larger towns would have some electrification and telephony.

47175001351_69d26b7d9b_b.jpg

5632710.jpg

Rural areas, less so, except when there is....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDvcc37nw9AhJGvkpjI-N

30 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

...A general mapping comment, in cultivated (rice) zones, most village houses are going to have vegetable gardens around them, which in the summer would include climbing trellises and bamboo fencing (this is all tactical concealment). Koreans don't live on rice alone! Some liberal use of patches of tall grass might help abstract the LOS effects. Midden (organic trash) heaps and stacks of firewood would also feature, along with water jars.

Obviously, in mountain villages and the north, and in winter, things are going to look different; more barren in general, less wood, more stone in construction, etc.

I sincerely appreciate your tutelage style comments and will roll them forward as I make more Korea 1950 maps/battles. I gotta look around CM or Blender mod some water jars I guess. Bambo fencing is probably out there somewhere as a 3D object. I used CMRT stick fence. :D

Spooky Korean graveyard for a Halloween scenario I guess! hahaha

A suicide guitar hero with a trainee doing a "crawl along" have left the market and see their target!

417-in-prog.png

Lieutenant Jeon in the remaining tank backs up at full speed to get into a better firing position.

421-in-prog.png

He has a keyhole position toward the road obstacle.

419-in-prog.png

The suicide duo are spotted and taken under fire. 1 man is killed. The other returns fire at a house with what looks like a meeting of the Knights of Columbus? Wow. That is a lot of soldiers in 1 house. Did they find some rice wine in there maybe? 

420-in-prog.png

The tank rotates its turret and fires an HE round at the threat...

416-in-prog.png

Just the chance that Jeon's gunner needed to line up the shot...?

422-in-prog.png

That is affirmative. (Some of) The crew gets out!

423-in-prog.png

His last tank is stacked and ready. 

424-in-prog.png

My right flank has heated up! 

425-in-prog.png

Edited by kohlenklau

We'll shut down for the evening...

My opponent's wife, and my wife too, right around this time of night - usually come out in lingerie with champagne. Nothing like a nice back rub and they just love to hear all about the battle. We're lucky guys.

Edited by kohlenklau

6 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

I sincerely appreciate your tutelage style comments and will roll them forward as I make more Korea 1950 maps/battles. I gotta look around CM or Blender mod some water jars I guess. Bambo fencing is probably out there somewhere as a 3D object. I used CMRT stick fence. :D

Spooky Korean graveyard for a Halloween scenario I guess! hahaha

The barrels could work as a base texture.

I'd dearly love to help you out mate, but my CM computer is on another continent at the moment, plus my work simply does not permit indulgence in the modding timesuck. I'm like an ex-smoker,  gotta be damn careful about 'just one quick puff with mates in a bar.'

...Another quick thought on 'Koreanising' your maps (I know you have other priorities): in towns, many houses and shopfronts have eaves (roof overhangs the front). If you texture one of the shelter objects from H&E with the same tile roof, you can abut it to the front of a 1 story house pretty well.

D1BlnZc.png

(those ones on the left, although you wouldn't see much corrugated metal in rural Korea. Outside large cities industrialised by the Japanese, 1950 Koreans still lived at best at 18th century level and metal is too valuable to the people for other uses. Thatching, bamboo or clay tiles, depending on where you are in the country.

The above won't have any real LOS effect, but it will make the streetfronts seem less 'cookie cutter'. Drop some barrels and sacks and firewood in front too; not tires or metal drums, again, those would be too valuable to be 'waste'.

Edited by LongLeftFlank

4 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

I'd dearly love to help you out mate, but my CM computer is on another continent at the moment,

ahhh, the old "my computer is on another continent excuse". :D

j/k, you ARE helping me. Like me, you are a "modaholic" probably, so it is best to abstain and just stay away from any modding like you said. I will "get sober" and retire from CM modding sometime in 2024 I think. 

On 10/7/2023 at 5:42 AM, kohlenklau said:

He has Easy Eights coming in on both flanks!

380-in-prog.png

381-in-prog.png

My Zis-3 takes a hit but only loses one soldier. 

379-in-prog.png

My right flank HAD a Maxim in the 2nd floor of the church across from the Kimchee shop...now scrap metal for a Hyundai.

382-in-prog.png

My 82mm mortar on the right flank starts to drop rounds into the path of his infantry.

383-in-prog.png

A command element observes...

384-in-prog.png

The Zis-3 scores a hit on the Easy Eight but the effect is not yet determined...

385-in-prog.png

Tank 211 creeps forward on the right flank...

386-in-prog.png

Very, very interesting.

10 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

We'll shut down for the evening...

My opponent's wife, and my wife too, right around this time of night - usually come out in lingerie with champagne. Nothing like a nice back rub and they just love to hear all about the battle. We're lucky guys.

Nah, that sounds too good to be true. 😆

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

ahhh, the old "my computer is on another continent excuse". :D

j/k, you ARE helping me. Like me, you are a "modaholic" probably, so it is best to abstain and just stay away from any modding like you said. I will "get sober" and retire from CM modding sometime in 2024 I think. 

...The essential bottom line of mapping village/town fights is that a mix of hard cover (generally low down: walls, mounds, ditches) and concealment (clutter) should make it basically impossible to sit back and calmly shoot the defenders to death from long range, with AFVs or any other heavy weapon. That happens exactly never.

I've lost count of the number of CM scenarios I've ditched the moment that dynamic became evident. That's glorified Battlezone, not a tactical wargame.

origin.jpg

Tanks, of course, can stalk and keyhole other tanks all the livelong day. And using MG fire lanes to check enemy movements are perfectly sound tactics. But the only way to clear infantry out of complex terrain in finite time should be with other infantry.

/pontification