AMD 23-series drivers crashes CMBS (not CMRT)

LeBlaque

A  copy/paste from a prior thread given this is a separate issues unrelated to the "flash-bang" screen issue that has been resolved.  Frankly, kinda disturbing as apparently a long-term unaddressed problem?

On 4/22/2023 at 9:43 AM, Myles Keogh said:

From @Myles Keogh:  Unfortunately, the out-of-memory issue has been an existing conflict between some AMD drivers and CMx2 for several years now.   (In fact, it was the first problem I ever had with them.)  What makes it frustrating is that some driver updates have caused the issue and other have not.  It seems utterly random.

Trying to avoid it, I haven't updated my AMD drivers in almost a year.    The 22.5.1 work fine with CMx2 and, fortunately, I don't play games that require recent drivers.  So, it's not that that big of an inconvenience for me, but I know it may be frustrating for other gamers.

@Myles Keogh @Battlefront.com Unlike Myles, I do need updated drivers (ideally) for other games.  23.4.2 is still bugged, and apparently, this is a long-standing issue per above post.  This is infuriating in a way, as I am playing an email game in CMRT flawlessly (no flashbang, etc.) but a game in CMBS got the following error, then afterwards crashes to desktop when I rotate the view (my card is an RX 6600XT w. 8GB).  I have attached relevant pics/dropbox links for BF (and others) to check on their AMD systems.  All I can say is, 🤔😑😑😑

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l25g01e0okcrrb5/Rollin' On The River 105.ema?dl=0        (CMBS PW: od)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t049ub1b2xbdur/Retaking of Koshtovnist 153.ema?dl=0  (CMRT PW: od)

image.png.60d8171933d09f5f95064d3fdd009aa2.png

These Downloads solved my problem, and might helps yours:

What did I do? I installed game drivers: Microsoft XNA Framework redistributable 4.0

OpenAL (Open Audio Library)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015- 2022 Redistributable (x86)

All Slitherine-infected games are running smoothly, including Cold War

Edited by JoMac

21 hours ago, JoMac said:

These Downloads solved my problem, and might helps yours:

What did I do? I installed game drivers: Microsoft XNA Framework redistributable 4.0

OpenAL (Open Audio Library)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015- 2022 Redistributable (x86)

All Slitherine-infected games are running smoothly, including Cold War

@JoMac  Thank you for the attempt!  Unfortunately no luck after downloading/installing the three noted files.  Still CMBS still crashes to desktop after one rotation of the camera.  Astonishingly, this does not happen with CMRT.  

You made an excellent point which led to my observation:  CMRT is a direct purchase from BF, while CMBS is a Steam (Slitherine) version.  There has to be something up with THIS.  Hoping @BFCElvis and @Battlefront respond to this--  should not be dealing with crashes as a long-standing issue area. 

Are you saying you are operating on the most recent 23-series AMD drivers???

2 hours ago, LeBlaque said:

@JoMac  Thank you for the attempt!  Unfortunately no luck after downloading/installing the three noted files.  Still CMBS still crashes to desktop after one rotation of the camera.  Astonishingly, this does not happen with CMRT.  

You made an excellent point which led to my observation:  CMRT is a direct purchase from BF, while CMBS is a Steam (Slitherine) version.  There has to be something up with THIS.  Hoping @BFCElvis and @Battlefront respond to this--  should not be dealing with crashes as a long-standing issue area. 

Are you saying you are operating on the most recent 23-series AMD drivers???

Have you opened a Help Desk ticket? If not, do so here:

Help Desk

Actually, I went from old AMD 15.20 (something or other)for several years to 22.6.1. Since I only play CMx2 (for most part) I wont upgrade anytime soon (if I can help it)...I just don't want to take a chance and upgrade drivers any further for possible Crashes.