New campaign - USMC Gung Ho! available

16 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

How did you get those bottom two screenshots? Is there a thermal vision mod that I missed?

Reshade... I have profiles for Thermal vision, Night vision, Desert heatwaves & various environmental conditions then post them on the channel.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is going to be revised in the not-too-distant future as I suspect it's WAY too hard, especially mission 4 of which there is a conspicuous lack of feedback ;)

What I've done so far is to rephrase the campaign briefing so that there's no confusion over shared artillery assets or the campaign terminating early.

I've also reworked the campaign script to be much more generous with repairing damaged vehicles after a successful mission. My impression is that the USMC would be quite efficient at getting broken stuff repaired after a mission.

I've removed the mud terrain from mission 2 so that there's little chance of a bog happening.

What I want to do later today and early this week is to 'fix' the Detectives mission so that it's much easier to win. How exactly that will happen, I don't quite know yet but what I DO know is that it's going to be a quick fix and I'm not going to let it turn into a 2-3 month revision. I don't plan to change much, if anything about missions 5 and 6 especially as mission 5 is intended to be hard to win. I have no idea of Al Qusayr is winnable as it stands as nobody but myself appears to have played it but I'll probably tone it down a tad too.

It's not too late to step in and tell me what you think needs to be fixed with these missions. If anyone has actually completed it, I'd like to know if it is possible. After all, I test my own stuff but I know what is in each mission and, more importantly, what is NOT going to happen which is not the same as your experience. I playtest with full spoilers. :D

Repairing being more generous would help as I was being very economical in the second mission with the Abrams. 

In the second mission too, I don’t think the Stryker ATGMs are working (thermals on that model are still broken I believe).

In the second mission my force was too worn down (I thought) to push on much beyond the main ridge.

i hope to have time to have another run through the campaign in the next month or so.  

40 minutes ago, AlexUK said:

Repairing being more generous would help as I was being very economical in the second mission with the Abrams. 

In the second mission too, I don’t think the Stryker ATGMs are working (thermals on that model are still broken I believe).

In the second mission my force was too worn down (I thought) to push on much beyond the main ridge.

i hope to have time to have another run through the campaign in the next month or so.  

I've added an extra half hour onto each version of mission 2 so the player shouldn't feel rushed to capture the back VP locations.

You might want to hang on a few days before restarting as there should be a v2 available mid-week. I just need to make sure that the player has enough fire support to complete mission 4 without taking too many casualties. I've extended the time in both versions of that mission as well as giving much more intel on Syrian starting positions. The Syrian Mech forces have been somewhat degraded to prevent them from standing and fighting too long. The REAL fight should be in the outskirts of the town. I've also doubled up the number of helicopters and F-18s available. I will playtest the new version after posting this.

I've done a pretty substantial rework to mission 4, "Detectives' so I think I'll wrap this one up and upload the revision to the FewGoodMen site.

You'll be pleased to note that I've added a Grenade launcher Team to the OB for mission 1 only as you recommended.

A full but short list of changes will accompany the post I make when it is available. I could have made much more substantial changes but until I hear ANYTHING AT ALL from folks about missions 4 and 5, I don't feel encouraged to put in a lot of further work to improve these. As a result of these changes, personally, I enjoy playing mission 4 much more now and mission 5 is still my favourite of them all.

On 12/10/2023 at 9:23 PM, Paper Tiger said:

I've done a pretty substantial rework to mission 4, "Detectives' so I think I'll wrap this one up and upload the revision to the FewGoodMen site.

You'll be pleased to note that I've added a Grenade launcher Team to the OB for mission 1 only as you recommended.

A full but short list of changes will accompany the post I make when it is available. I could have made much more substantial changes but until I hear ANYTHING AT ALL from folks about missions 4 and 5, I don't feel encouraged to put in a lot of further work to improve these. As a result of these changes, personally, I enjoy playing mission 4 much more now and mission 5 is still my favourite of them all.

I left a comment on FGM about this, it seems to me on Mission 4/5 the javelins have some accuracy issues. It's almost like they have collected the Milan bug in SF2. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not. I used every javelin including the reloads on the AAV and trucks and only killed one bunker and a BMP. As a side note, they seem much better on BMPs so maybe its a bunker targeting bug or something? The seem to fly just behind the unit its aimed at. I tried them on the 4 and 5 story buildings, roofs and ground level to the same result. I also reloaded the mission several times and got basically the similiar results. 

That all being said, once again a fantastic campaign PT. Its fun, engaging and really highlights the firepower the USMC can deliver and its weaknesses. To those debating on trying it. Its not the Scottish Corridor campaign in difficulty but like that campaign its immensely enjoyable. Thank you for your hard work on this and all the other campaigns youve done. maybe give us a Final Blitzkrieg one next?

Interesting. Red has some small EW (the lowest possible assist) in these two missions as the Special Forces and the Republican Guards are present. Perhaps that might be throwing off the javelins' accuracy? If it is, that certainly wan't the intention. Or it's as you describe it, a bug. Anyway, I tend to use javelins to kill vehicles so that issues might have slipped my notice.

I'm really glad to hear you got through to mission 6. You're the first as far as I know so kudos.

4 hours ago, Paper Tiger said:

I'm really glad to hear you got through to mission 6. You're the first as far as I know so kudos.

I'm a bit lucky with a good chunk of downtime at work so I can grind it out. So far I'm about 20ish mins into Mission 6. Trying to hunt down the last two T-90s I have left before I make the assault.

Now that you mentioned the EW and I completely forgot that's a thing in the briefing and in SF2 it very well could be that. Maybe its adjusted to high or something? I tend to save alot (lesson learned from playing so many of your campaigns :P) so if you need my save file I could send that. I also had a bit of odd occurrence trying to get the AAVs across the bridge to assault the Dude obj. The second AAV just started jerking back and forth on the bridge. Took about 5 turns and it sorted itself out though. Hopefully this can help you out man.

Re strange phenomena: 

I find the drone useless (at least in M2).  I thought maybe it has not got IR so no good at night.  But, have now had 30 minutes of daylight and it still cannot spot anything!  (By comparison, the Crack scouts spot enemy units very easily.)  Anyone having good experiences with the drone? 

In addition, snipers with rifles using 7.62mm also carry 50 cal.  

Humvees that seem to have plenty of 50 cal according to the left box, but are out of ammo according to the right box.  

Am starting to wonder if some update created more bugs/problems in CMSF2. 

And of course the biggy (for the 16 years of CM2) is that ATGM vehicles still do not have their telescopic launchers modeled so that in order to fire they have to expose the top of the vehicle which means they are easier to spot and kill and therefore cannot be used as in RL.

Loving the campaign however.  Unfortunately have to travel over the Xmas season so can't move on to M3 until next week.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all!