WimO requests members to cease playing his 82nd Abn campaign and delete. Significant errors need repair

My apologies.

Others and myself have discovered a number of significant errors in some of the scenarios in my 82nd Airborne campaign. I regret the oversights. I have removed my files from the d/l station. They will be re-uploaded after I go through them with a fine tooth comb. Thank you to those who spotted the problems.

Signing off.

Here I am temporarily resurfacing to give an update about the status of WimO's 82nd Airborne Campaign debugging.\

After PEB14's helpful feedback I had another look at the scenarios commented on and had an eye-opening shock. In come cases AI timings had gone off the rails due to having reduced scenario time lines without adjusting AI. In others I forgot to give AI orders. Some scenarios suffered from reloading the core units file during develpment for one side and then forgetting that it also reloaded for he other side. Overall there were a lot of screw-ups. I think the project was overwhelming for my declining faculties.

So, here's the situation today. I withdrew into my computer man-cave and set about full-time debugging. I decided to create a smaller 5 scenario version of the campaign as a starting point. At this point the following five scenarios have been reworked, debugged, repeatedly tested and confirmed to work satisfactorily when free-standing. To me 'satisfactorily' means that you can win or lose (usually the former).

Manoir Leroux, Angriff der Grenadiere, No Better Place to Die, Saul's Run and Le Motey.

Today I will compile them into a campaign and begin the multitude of play tests required to determine what I feel are the most appropriate settings for Refit, Repair, Resupply and Rest between scenarios. That will take some time.

So now ... I'm going to disappear again for a while.

Wim, whatever you can do will be much appreciated.  And who needs the AI anyway, just make all the scenarios H2H 😉.  I've already managed to lose 'Angriff' as the Germans against @Ultradave (as the 82nd obviously).  Oh and 'Timmes Digs In' was a loss as well, same sides.  We also tried 'Boots on the ground' even though you'd said it was not suitable for H2H.  I spent a lot of time setting up for something that Dave didn't do, then a lot of time going from defense to attack, before we agreed to shrug shoulders and move along.  I am smug in the knowledge that I mostly re-created history.

@RMM and I have some feedback on 'Gruppe Bohm to Le Rocher' as well, but I'll put that elsewhere and I imagine you may not wish to re-visit it anyway.

11 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Wim, whatever you can do will be much appreciated.  And who needs the AI anyway, just make all the scenarios H2H 😉.  I've already managed to lose 'Angriff' as the Germans against @Ultradave (as the 82nd obviously).  Oh and 'Timmes Digs In' was a loss as well, same sides.  We also tried 'Boots on the ground' even though you'd said it was not suitable for H2H.  I spent a lot of time setting up for something that Dave didn't do, then a lot of time going from defense to attack, before we agreed to shrug shoulders and move along.  I am smug in the knowledge that I mostly re-created history.

@RMM and I have some feedback on 'Gruppe Bohm to Le Rocher' as well, but I'll put that elsewhere and I imagine you may not wish to re-visit it anyway.

Well, WimO's trying to put them all together into a campaign, so no H2H here..

Anyway WimO is too modest. I liked his campaign very much, even though some debugging was required.

I'm disappointed that Levy stands alone at Cauquigny disappeared, this was my preferred scenario of the set, and I don't think it need that much adjustments to be near-perfect!

Good luck for the campaign compiling!

I'm playing "A Shaul's Run" in PBEM. Lots of allied tanks, only 3 tanks crossed so the battle wouldn't be too hard for my opponent, the others remained in support. Very beautiful map. Previously we played together "no better place to die", not easy to avoid the artillery on the US side, but the paratroopers managed to push back the German attack. We started with "507th make a good drop". All these PBEMs are played on the same map, but it is so vast and well done that it's a discovery every time. Congratulations Wimo on this series on the 82nd 👍

Hello Laurent 22: In the scenario "Shaul's Run" the attached company of American armor is on load from 90th Inf. Div. and is under orders to NOT cross the causeway. It is permitted only to act as fire support. I believe the orders indicated this. Perhaps not clear enough?

To all:

All the scenarios will eventually reappear. At present I have been working full-time to fix Manoir Leroux, Angriffe der Grenadiere, No Better Place to Die, Saul's Run and Le Motey. Just to give an example of the work involved to get it right, I have already put in 30 hours over two days to improved the pathing and timing of the German attack in Angriff, and it is not yet finished. Expect to finish that tomorrow. And that is without Allied opposition. Next will be testing how badly it gets disrupted once the American troops are in play and what adjustments might be possible to make it better.

Anyway, once the five above scenarios are working properly, and the text files are more correct, they will be linked together into a shorter campaign. Then the testing starts again to see if the settings of Refit, Repair, Resupply and Rest are appropriate. Each single playthrough will take a full day just to correct a single setting and then it goes again, over and over until its right.

Once the short five scenario campaign is working properly, I'll get back to the more comprehensive version.

😭but you wrote in the briefing:"point 7: as soon as Cauquingny is secured, A Cie 746th Tank Batallion will move across and assist in the advance against the Helpiquets"

I didn't use the artillery smoke, but I recognize that in the first turns a Sherman advanced to the bridge where it launched its smoke. Only one tank passed through when Cauquigny was secured. This Sherman is in front of the 1st big hamlet on my right wing. My paratroopers were a bit dispersed by the German artillery, many troops demoralized after loss of officers (Captain Saul who crossed with the first wave is still alive, he was slightly wounded by a shell). A 2nd Sherman has just crossed to go to the center, and a last tank was to go on my left where I lost a company because of the enemy artillery. So these 3 shermans didn't fight to take Cauquigny. I can still back them up and leave them at the bridge entrance, so it's good that you warn me now. Indeed I wondered if you didn't want the tanks to cross because I saw  some roadblocks, but the tanks could still cross them.

Edited by laurent 22