HOW TO MAKE A BIG MOD (TEST DUMMY LOG)

kohlenklau

10 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

I am not sure exactly. I definitely want to retire from content creation but might still play CM. A good long break is needed. I once went away for 5 years so it is not some "rage quit"...just a decision

Good signs are your arrival to the forums and also @PEB14.

In with the new and out with the old! :D

Sure I can understand that. I have a similar experience regarding flight simulators because I am an aviation enthusiast. For 1 or 2 years I play (fly) like crazy, install MODs, buy addons, etc. then get bored and make a stop... or more exactly a break because... I always end up returning. It happened many times already 😁

Edited by Simicro

11 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

You will be in the jackboots of Feldwebel Walter Rubarth of Panzerpionier-Bataillon 49. Only a few rubber assault boats made it across the Meuse. Can you complete the mission that resulted in Rubarth's Ritterkreuz?

I have it out for testing. I played it several times and made some tweaks. I enjoyed it.

FR40B RUBARTH'S RITTERKREUZ

mvReORD.png

On 10 May 1940, the Germans commenced their invasion of France and the low countries. 

3 days later they were at the Meuse River... 

OBJECTIVES:

CONCRETE BUNKERS: Up to 1000 points

WOOD BUNKERS: Up to 250 points

FRENCH SOLDIERS: Up to 200 points

Battle Duration 50 minutes.

You start the scenario with a forward observer in position on the German side of the Meuse.

He has 4 Stuka Missions and 2 batteries of 105's. 

You must use them all at the very beginning. 

Target whatever you desire to help Feldwebel Rubarth complete his mission. 

Use the area target with a 200+/- meter diameter. 

NO PIN POINT TARGETING. 

This simulates the Luftwaffe attack that preceded the crossing operations.

10th Panzer Was stripped of its heavy artillery for use by 1st Panzer Division.

Feldwebel Walter Rubarth and his "Stosstrupp" arrive at T=10 minutes.

Rubarth is a Platoon HQ of 1 or 2 men (random).

2 Breach Teams

1 Flamethrower Team

1 Infantry Squad

The actual crossing is simulated. 

They arrive with their "rafts" on the far side of the Meuse north of the destroyed bridge.

They have an ammo crate with SMG and rifle ammo.

Good luck!

Nice one, seem to be interresting,  I am playing it soon, interresting could be that we are thinking also to take some strongs points in 1940 in Holland, bridges, airport...with German Paras agains regular Netherlands army, but...I read just now, no tanks will be available, so hurry to move infantry on strategics points... @Butschi, we will need soon your help...in coordinates...

Edited by JM Stuff

29 minutes ago, Simicro said:

I always end up returning. It happened many times already 😁

Yes, I also became nostalgic after my 5 years break and returned to the cult...errr..I mean the game community.

That overlapped with the 5 years that BFC took to make CMRT F&R module.

HEY! Maybe if I go away now for ANOTHER 5 years then BFC will make an early war module?

I forget if I already said this...

FR40B SILVER PACK WILL BE RELEASED PROBABLY IN ANOTHER WEEK OR SO...

BUILDING UP A FEW MORE SCENARIOS!

Maybe May 10th?

Because we know that is like an anniversary of something. Hmmm. Oh yeah. The Campaign in the West.

Can you contribute something?

You know who I will now send to ask...

Here is Heidi. 

P4e3CYw.png

Edited by kohlenklau

FR40B SILVER PACK HIGHLIGHTS (tentative for the 10 May release)

FR40B1 [muddy-crossing]

FR40B2 farm flavor objects 

FR40B3 Charb1bis

FR40B4 Brazil as Senegalese troops

FR40B5 French 75mm gun

FR40B6 Panhard Armored Car

FR40B7 PzIVD

FR40B8 [rubarth] scenario special mods

FR40B9 [corpsfrancs]

FR40B SCENARIOS (current list)

FR40B DROLE DE GUERRE                                    by PEB14

FR40B DER GIGANT                                               by kohlenklau

FR40B FIREFIGHT AT ANNELLES                          by kevinkin

FR40B RUBARTH'S RITTERKREUZ                         by kohlenklau

Here is one in the works that should be fun! Almost done with the AI plan. 

JaRDYiB.png

FR40B SEDAN-GRAD

^
Torcy, France (a suburb of Sedan). It is 1620 - Montag 13 May 1940. A light wind blows off the Meuse to the north. A thick haze hovers over the entire area. The ground is damp. You are a zug-fuhrer in Infanterie-Regiment Gross Deutschland. 
^
You have your 4 rifle squads, slightly depleted from the combat of these last 4 frantic days. Your men seem to run off soldier's humor and funny little pills from the medical staff. The sounds of a Sturmgeshutz approaching puts a big smile on the oberfeldwebel. 
^
Opposite you through that thick haze of the battlefield are the remnants of the 295e Regiment D'Infanterie. They were pounded mercilessly by the luftwaffe all day and then by our heavy artillery. Even after all that, a few have decided to resist.
^
The crossing of the Meuse did not go without losses. Finally we were able to eliminate several bunkers and build a bridge near Gaulier. The vehicles started moving across - but then several trucks were knocked-out by machinegun fire. Clear out those stragglers and get the trucks rolling again! You have 30-35 minutes.
^
Take the "corner restaurant" (250 pts) and the "factory office building" (250 pts). Points also awarded for elimination of the enemy and keeping friendly losses below 30%.

Edited by kohlenklau

If you are a "purist" then you probably will not even enter this thread. What I do in my mods must disgust you or whatever.

But if you are on the fence and might be inclined to play but just wish I didn't have to distort reality - then please follow this next paragraph!

MY NEW "SMG FILTER"

I came up with this idea a few weeks back to create an "SMG" filter for my French squads. It seems to work and I will explain how I do it. I have used it in 2 new scenarios.

I will first show how I used the "SMG FILTER" in this yet unreleased FR40B SEDAN-GRAD. In the below screenshot you see the green tint of a terrain objective, an exit zone named as SMG Filter. The 3 teams are the AI group numbered "A Teams" from the 3 squads in the scenario. A3, A4 and A5. Just the A Teams. Deployed to that funny little holding pen. It contains all of the SMG's in this scenario and all 3 of the grenade launchers.

My AI plan then progresses and when AI groups A3, A4 and A5 require any movement, the A Teams try to carry out the order, they are filtered away by the exit zone. I had some dash orders and sometimes not all 4 soldiers were exited. I was amazed. So, I added the zig zag and expanded the exit zone to better filter away the SMG's and grenade launchers.

qLfdrFy.png

Below is another SMG Filter on a bigger scenario. The filter is again an exit zone this time lined with heavy forest tiles to slow down the soldiers. All SMG's and grenade launchers are removed from play!

456ErP5.png

Edited by kohlenklau

@JM Stuff

Thank you to JM for recoloring the CMFI module icons for a proper France 1940 flavor.  (I did the alpha later outer edges...)

Not shown here but JM also did some vintage newspaper splash screens which I will ship with the SILVER pack. So, for "nice to haves" there quite a few options. Damian's, JM's and mine - and with the new France module icons. 

Gy2egjn.png

I thank @PEB14 !

.........................for his good feedback and constructive criticism after the playtest of my new scenario FR40B SEDAN-GRAD.

I have already TRIED to roll all his suggestions into a revision.

-He spotted oddities like rubble floating over a crater!

-He saw a chance to make the AI plan show a French soldier was not really sleeping.

-He did ask some good questions about what was the purpose of those door-less buildings?

-He saw my briefing could be improved with special characters for German and French.

-Maybe something else? Wow. He is a good playtester!

MERCI MON AMI!

Hey guys, you are a very small crowd, some of my close forum buddies.

I have reluctantly decided to just retire NOW. I have things in my life that "deprioritize and displace" chores for CM.

I will not continue to produce any content.

The things I passionately hoped to do...oh well.

Please carry the flag forward to victory if you so wish!

I wish you all the very best!

4 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

Hey guys, you are a very small crowd, some of my close forum buddies.

I have reluctantly decided to just retire NOW. I have things in my life that "deprioritize and displace" chores for CM.

I will not continue to produce any content.

The things I passionately hoped to do...oh well.

Please carry the flag forward to victory if you so wish!

I wish you all the very best!

Very sad but you will be missed my friend, thank you for all you have done for the CM community!

Cheers Phil, thank you again.

4 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

I thank @PEB14 !

.........................for his good feedback and constructive criticism after the playtest of my new scenario FR40B SEDAN-GRAD.

I have already TRIED to roll all his suggestions into a revision.

-He spotted oddities like rubble floating over a crater!

-He saw a chance to make the AI plan show a French soldier was not really sleeping.

-He did ask some good questions about what was the purpose of those door-less buildings?

-He saw my briefing could be improved with special characters for German and French.

-Maybe something else? Wow. He is a good playtester!

MERCI MON AMI!

Merci Phil!

But we all know playtesting is the easy part of it.

Your work... and in general all community author's work... THAT's what deserve proper recognition.

Phill, this is just a little gifts, to express our gratitude for all the works that you did since years long, with your help to resolve something on the forum to many countries, with calm and friendly mind, added to your touch of humor that we will missing on the forum, and on this picture showing with my touch of jokkes but also all my thanks and my respect!

JM, May 4 2023

xwFgj7t.jpg

Edited by JM Stuff

My retirement plan! :D

I promise I will go through all my France 1940 mods and get it organized for download.

Then in a week or so I will make the link my signature and offer to the community. 

Separate folders for the below:

the mod packs

sub mods that were in progress such as Chasseurs Ardennais

the completed scenarios

all the Belgium & France maps made or in progress not used in a scenario

all research items, photos, notes

raw files in paint.net and GiMP

scenarios as rough in progress "as is"

scenario creation guide

modtag text files

scenario briefing text files

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember that you all have my full permission to take the ball and run forward.

Good luck guys!

🇫🇷

54 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

My retirement plan! :D

Of course it is sad to see you retire from CM but given what you have achieved over the years either as an author or contributor, it's understandable and well deserved. Of course I (we?) hope to see you around, now and then, at least as a player, but even if that is not the case, everyone can understand. Last but not least: your retirement plan is extremely elegant, that is:
(i) you have anticipated it
(ii) you hand over the assets with full permission to the community
(iii) you'll be here during the hand over period to answer questions (if I read correctly a previous post)
I cannot imagine a better plan.

I now have the goody box link in my forum signature but I am organizing things still.

I am semi-retired! I will work to better prepare the mod for hand-off. This prep work will probably include finishing up a few scenarios. hilarious

PDF Manuals:

I will make updates & additions to the previously released "FR40 Mod Scenario Creation Guide".

I will add a "Read Me" manual since the mod is somewhat complex.

I will add a pdf of the "Fake Lobster" lecture which explains how I made vehicles

~~~~~~

Just last night I added some more maps to the FR40 collection. Others have blazed this trail before - I was able to use hexedit to bring over to CMFI a few select CMFB maps.

I think they will do nicely as substitutes for some of the 10 May 1940 - 12 May 1940 battles in the Ardennes.

Edited by kohlenklau

Phil, great to see the Goody Bag back and your sack is bulging more than ever 😉.

Seriously though I have found old things in there that I didn't have and of course the new things.  Excellent work amigo.

You know your retirement plan can be flexible, it's self-imposed after all.  We can discuss this soon over a pint and a pie.  Or something more fancy if the 'cost of living crisis' allows.

Hey, it is Friday so enjoy some new stuff! Link at the bottom

FR40B SILVER PACK IS RELEASED

FR40B1 [muddy-crossing]

FR40B2 farm flavor objects 

FR40B3 Charb1bis

FR40B4 Brazil as Senegalese troops (delayed until GOLD)

FR40B5 French 75mm gun

FR40B6 Panhard Armored Car

FR40B7 PzIVD

FR40B8 [rubarth] scenario special mods

FR40B9 [corpsfrancs]

FR40B SCENARIOS

FR40B DROLE DE GUERRE                                    by PEB14

FR40B DER GIGANT                                               by kohlenklau

FR40B FIREFIGHT AT ANNELLES                          by kevinkin

FR40B RUBARTH'S RITTERKREUZ                         by kohlenklau

FR40B CENDRIERE'S FARM                                    revised so playable as axis vs AI

FR40B SEDAN-GRAD                                              by kohlenklau

Down the SILVER here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6sr6ux04acmb628/AAArFV2KKoz2Tebriqfdvqvoa?dl=0

Reminder that you also need the BRONZE

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l7vq1tkou7jdx0f/AAAzqnXwNR9eXvqQk2SDdt_Pa?dl=0

and the BRONZE PLUS UP (patch)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b1xxqze5cnnuq6o/AAAbeTl95UlC8Zo8MoXQ_uIca?dl=0

Edited by kohlenklau