I have never actually seen this before...

Halmbarte

Four T62s attacking over open ground. One of them spots a M150 after it launches a TOW at a different T62.

432gpWK.png

The T62 fires as the TOW is in flight. 

ud56Q8L.png

And the APFSDS hits the M150 before the TOW can hit, causing the misses to go out of control.

oXFlOAf.png

I've known that it was theoretically possible to leverage the superior speed of tank main gun rounds to kill a ATGM before it can hit, but this is the first time I've actually seen it happen.

Yes, ATGM's flight took time to reach its target at long distance. 

in the game the TOW speed is 160m/s

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/141829-tow-missile-speed/

so a 1600m distance engagement means TOW missile will take 10s.  A lot of things can happen in 10s, enemy maneuver and disappear from crosshair, or the enemy quickly react, 5 seconds to aim, fire, an APFSDS kills ATGM operator 2 seconds later, causing the missile out of control and crash.   

9 hours ago, Halmbarte said:

Four T62s attacking over open ground. One of them spots a M150 after it launches a TOW at a different T62.

432gpWK.png

ud56Q8L.png

And the APFSDS hits the M150 before the TOW can hit, causing the misses to go out of control.

oXFlOAf.png

I've known that it was theoretically possible to leverage the superior speed of tank main gun rounds to kill a ATGM before it can hit, but this is the first time I've actually seen it happen.

A lot of armor doctrine relies on this sort of thing versus ATGMs, but with T62s is pretty impressive.  I have seen it with T64s and 80s but never with the T62.  I think in FreeWhiskeys videos they unpack why one needs to keep ones tanks together in a line, and this is one reason.

19 hours ago, Halmbarte said:

432gpWK.png

ud56Q8L.png

oXFlOAf.png

Saw this a bunch in my last game. Even had one where My TOW was hit while missile was in the air but it still hit its target.

On 2/9/2023 at 8:33 AM, Chibot Mk IX said:

Yes, ATGM's flight took time to reach its target at long distance. 

in the game the TOW speed is 160m/s

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/141829-tow-missile-speed/

so a 1600m distance engagement means TOW missile will take 10s.  A lot of things can happen in 10s, enemy maneuver and disappear from crosshair, or the enemy quickly react, 5 seconds to aim, fire, an APFSDS kills ATGM operator 2 seconds later, causing the missile out of control and crash.   

Was about to ask why the TOW in game is so slow but I see on the linked thread that this discussion is under way already 😇