Bug when a tank crosses a bridge

bruno2016

in CMRT 4.0 / v2.12 (my current version) as well as in prior versions, a few times it happened that a tank "freezes" in the middle of bridge (visually it looks like it is mired in the underlying gully).

This happened for instance in scenario CMRT "rescue that beast" where the King Tiger got stuck at the same place after rerunning the scenario! I have read that bridges are not well modelled in CM2 and true a vehicle always seems to zigzag at snail pace as if it was in the gully itself.  

36 minutes ago, bruno2016 said:

and out of control for the rest of the scenario

The best advice I can give for you is so cross bridges by placing a waypoint just before both ends. Dont let your vehicle stop on the bridge whatsoever. If the vehicle stops and the hull rotates then your vehicle can get stuck. 

The same thing applies for crossing under bridges. I place two waypoints on both sides of the bridge in a straight line. No stopping... which also means timing vehicle crossings so that two tanks dont run into each other and cause each other to pause, which will cause the error. 

Bridges consisting multiple smaller bridges are especially bad (Two bridges with ground in the center of them for instance... to cover a distance longer than one bridge could reach), but those are rare (They can be found on the berlin maps but theyre mostly destroyed).

If you encounter one of those then place a waypoint on both sides of the span like you would normally do with a regular bridge. 

thanks for the tips. I always put my way points before and after the bridge in fast mode (and not hunt mode so no risk the tank starts fighting and gets immob'ed or destroyed there).

The anomaly I am reporting is when a tank has 2 way points before/after the bridge (and the bridge is of the heavy type allowing the Tiger II to roll over), the tank gets stuck straddling the bridge wall and the gully beneath. It wont accept any type of move forward/reverse command, shows an in order status. So this looks really like a bug I have faced s mentioned several times and in this scenario, in the exact same conditions at the same place with the same tank.

There may be a bug that crops up when a bridge is at a certain alignment to the map.  But... as I posted elsewhere, it is important to first have the vehicle rolling at the exact same axis as the bridge.  That may require two waypoints before the bridge so that the vehicle is perfectly aligned.  On longer bridges I also recommend waypoints on the bridge itself.  In doing so I find vehicles getting stuck on bridges to be very rare.

13 hours ago, bruno2016 said:

in CMRT 4.0 / v2.12 (my current version) as well as in prior versions, a few times it happened that a tank "freezes" in the middle of bridge (visually it looks like it is mired in the underlying gully).

This happened for instance in scenario CMRT "rescue that beast" where the King Tiger got stuck at the same place after rerunning the scenario! I have read that bridges are not well modelled in CM2 and true a vehicle always seems to zigzag at snail pace as if it was in the gully itself.  

I just loaded up "Rescue that beast". I've never played it before but cool concept. Are you talking about this bridge? It cannot support a king tiger. How can I tell? When I go to issue a move order on the bridge itself then my mouse icon changes to a red cross, indicating that the bridge cannot support the weight. I can place waypoints on either side of the bridge still, but the tank will instead just go around the bridge along whatever path is available.

I set a waypoint on both sides of the bridge and this is the route my king tiger wound up taking (Not an obvious route since that is an anti-tank ditch angle):

T0fHyH.png

T0fDn9.png

Edited by Artkin

Yes you are wright about the bridge. Thanks. I realize the mistake I did by putting 2 waypoints across the bridge and not checking the path on the bridge itself.

But still this does not fully explain why the Tiger II was idle, in good condition but rejecting any order to move or reverse or even change CA unless the AI considered that the Tiger was hopelessly stuck at the bottom of the ravine?